anyone on HAL Geocaching..

Stakeout

we just did a Maasdam 14 day cruise a few weeks ago... did some Geocaching 'finds' ...mainly ones within walking distance of the cruise docks...

got into Geocaching a couple of months ago.. always carry my handheld GPS along on our cruises for the past 10 years.. so figured might as well add the Geocaching to it.. fun stuff once you get into it...

for those who are curious http://www.geocaching.com

I have thought about it. Really considered it last year on our Alaska cruisetour since there are bunches of sites. However, I decided that my GPS would be just one more thing to haul around and keep up with. So I left it home. Doubt I'll take it on a cruise since I'm not that much "into it."

Thank you for posting that link. I've read about geocaching, but never really looked into it. To be honest, it looks like a good way to get robbed and murdered to me (thief puts a canister somewhere and then waits for the people he knows will have a GPS to show up), but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Thanks! Learned something new today!:)

I know from seeing some of the Log Ins to 'found Geocaches' that there were some folks on the Maasdam doing Geocaching... that's the reason for this thread

here's one here from a 'find' we made in Curacao on May 10.. if you scroll down you can see the post right above mine mentioning the Maasdam also

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=aaa71c54-561f-44ea-a981-90c9dfd24d8d

..and the Geocoin that we picked up there.. and it's history from its initial placement in the Netherlands.. I since placed it in another Geocache close by to us here in the Carolinas

http://www.geocaching.com/track/map_gm.aspx?ID=1089976

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/278153e8-b6ba-4b80-b00b-a13842a872d9.jpg

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=dd02c0d9-559a-41b7-979e-f55a7ecefacd

p.s. Copper 10-8...gotta do something besides fishing everyday.. and cruisin'... will be 'retired from 'on the job' 20 years this July 30th... who woulda thunk it... it's another world away from the 'skels' in the streets.. :D:eek:

Thank you for posting that link. I've read about geocaching, but never really looked into it. To be honest, it looks like a good way to get robbed and murdered to me (thief puts a canister somewhere and then waits for the people he knows will have a GPS to show up), but maybe I'm just paranoid.

trust me on this one... it's not the way it is... maybe you've been watching too many Law and Order 'fake TV' shows...was in law enforcement and retired after 20 years.. there's over a million Geocaches out there all over the world--posted on that site... I'm sure there have been incidences..like any other activity... but few and far between... just pick and choose the ones that you think are 'safe' if that worries you... I sure as heck wouldn't go into ' the hood' and start looking for one...gotta have some common sense as with anything.... it's deemed a 'family activity' :)

..............p.s. Copper 10-8...gotta do something besides fishing everyday.. and cruisin'... will be 'retired from 'on the job' 20 years this July 30th... who woulda thunk it... it's another world away from the 'skels' in the streets.. :D:eek:

Enjoy it Stakeout; it's like a vacation that never ends plus, you;re 100% correct, you don't have to deal with Adam Henry's everyday!;)

I have thought about it. Really considered it last year on our Alaska cruisetour since there are bunches of sites. However, I decided that my GPS would be just one more thing to haul around and keep up with. So I left it home. Doubt I'll take it on a cruise since I'm not that much "into it."

I just 'throw' mine into my camera 'slingbag/backpack'.. takes up little room compared to my SLR with 3 lenses and my Canon 10x30is Binocs... been routing out and tracking our cruises for a while now over the years... marking waypoints in different ports.. so Geocaching just came about as a extra activity since I always have it along with me anyway

trust me on this one... it's not the way it is... maybe you've been watching too many Law and Order 'fake TV' shows...was in law enforcement and retired after 20 years.. there's over a million Geocaches out there all over the world--posted on that site... I'm sure there have been incidences..like any other activity... but few and far between... just pick and choose the ones that you think are 'safe' if that worries you... I sure as heck wouldn't go into ' the hood' and start looking for one...gotta have some common sense as with anything.... it's deemed a 'family activity' :)

There have been several instances of crooks using things like Twitter to ascertain that people aren't home, and using that information to rob houses. (Example: Twitter post of "I'm feeding ducks at the park with my family" lets thieves know that you aren't at home.)

There have been several instances of crooks using things like Twitter to ascertain that people aren't home, and using that information to rob houses. (Example: Twitter post of "I'm feeding ducks at the park with my family" lets thieves know that you aren't at home.)

nope.. I don't do Facebook.. nor Twitter...personal preference on my part even though many do ...for me it's too many privacy holes especially on FB...they've been in the news quite often lately... on those sites people say too many things they shouldn't.. ' loose lips sink ships' if you get my drift... then there's the old standby where the bad guys read the Obits and rob a house during the funeral...

for me I can't/don't worrry about everything.. or I wouldn't travel.. heck when we're away nobody's watching our house like I do... so what happens happens.. ...use common sense and that'll usually suffice.. it got me thru 20 years of 'playing' cops and robbers

DH and I are cachers. We have found caches during several cruises since we started the hobby.

I like that its sort of a 'free' excursion. I already have the equipment to do it, and we get to see areas of the port we might not normally explore. In Ketchikan, we had done the duck tour in 2007 just before becoming cachers. While in Ketchikan in 2008, we went to find the caches nearest the dock... took us right by some of the sites we had seen from the duck. We would have had no idea that those sites were that close to the ship.

Also, a sales clerk questioned my hat (has my cache name on it). I told him I was a cacher... expecting to have to explain. He said, "Me, too! You know there are five right here in the area, right?" I said, "That's next on my list!"

Like any adventure... from a ship or not, it is necessary to keep your wits about you at all times. Same is true in my small hometown.

My husband is an avid geocacher, and I am always amazed at the "goodies" he finds. We have eaten at more really great, but out of the way places, and have seen parts of parks and nature that most folk never get a chance to see, just because of caching.

When I travel solo, I always find at least one for our family log. Just got a great one in Singapore right next to the best coconut ice cream cart in the world. Had it not been for geocaching, I would have walked right by that yummy ice cream!

We will be finding our share in Alaska in July! :)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
we just did a Maasdam 14 day cruise a few weeks ago... did some Geocaching 'finds' ...mainly ones within walking distance of the cruise docks...

got into Geocaching a couple of months ago.. always carry my handheld GPS along on our cruises for the past 10 years.. so figured might as well add the Geocaching to it.. fun stuff once you get into it...

for those who are curious http://www.geocaching.com

Not nice to get Mugels involved in our hunts! LOL!

Not nice to get Mugels involved in our hunts! LOL!

LI is the land of many 'muggles' :D.. was just back up there for an Easter visit.. plus a visit to the 'old neighborhood' in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn to visit relatives where I got a couple of finds

Geocached on HMC this past February...it was fun with a couple of good finds. Even took a couple of Muggles along with me who thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely a fun way to spend some time seeing the local sights!

• 5 weeks later...
Geocached on HMC this past February...it was fun with a couple of good finds. Even took a couple of Muggles along with me who thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely a fun way to spend some time seeing the local sights!

having walked HMC many many many times.. it was nice doing the Geocache thingy this last cruise in May

as a Premium member on Geocaching.com http://www.geocaching.com .. sure does make it a lot easier doing 'Pocket Queries' ( d/l multiple geocaches) and going paperless with a Garmin Oregon 450.. :D

Archived