Need sartorial help!

It is refreshing to see such good humor among the men whose DW's get involved in this sartorial exercise. Sometimes you just have to know how to "pick your battles" with spouses as well as children!

It is refreshing to see such good humor among the men whose DW's get involved in this sartorial exercise. Sometimes you just have to know how to "pick your battles" with spouses as well as children!

I get the DH part. . . . but, what does this have to do with children? Parents (both) have absolute power over what children are allowed to wear!!!!!!!

I choose and pack my own clothes and on the cruise choose what I will wear however, my DW always has right of first refusal over what I pack and what I wear although, if she "allows" me to take certain clothes, she doesn't often say no to what I choose to wear as she approved all the clothes I packed for the cruise.:):D

I like it. 6.gif

My husband largely packed his own clothes, although we had a discussion about it while packing, and I did veto a couple of items. Once on the ship, however, he wore whatever he wanted on a given day. And I have to say, I was quite pleased with his choices!

I pack for David. When we cruise, only. He packed for our recent trip to NYC. We have matching wheeled carry-ons for trips like that, and, "to each his own". Except for jeans (he wears nothing but jeans usually), I buy his clothes. We have been invited to a wedding of a colleague next month. It's at a conservation area, i.e., an informal venue. I asked David to find out from the groom whether the wedding is formal or informal, dress-wise. He just gave me a look--I'm going to have to find out for myself.

As for my son, I remember buying very nice shirts for him when he was 16 and he wouldn't wear them, because they weren't baggy enough. Then at a certain point, I bought him baggy clothes and he said they weren't small enough. I bought him a very slim t-shirt in Rio lately that I *believe* he will wear, although I haven't actually seen him wear it (his uniform is ripped jeans and a t-shirt.)

I think I'm going to have to go out and buy DH some of those Tommy Bahama shirts! He's been saying he'd wear one, so maybe now is the time, with the Panama in our future. Usually he just wears golf shirts with a sports jacket tossed over top. Other than asking my opinion, he chooses/packs his own clothes these days, and it's all fine with me.

Back to the original post, it sounds like you'd fit in just fine in those shirts, and if not, nobody cares but you, right? We were once on an Alaska cruise and our table-mates dressed super-casual on a formal night. Although we noticed it, it sure didn't bother us (or anyone else). We had a great time!

What's the big deal about Tommy Bahama shirts? They are very expensive! The world is full of really nice short-sleeved shirts for men. Some of them every bit as nice, with tropical prints. My husband has several dozen of various types, including checks, stripes, batiks, plaids.

What's the big deal about Tommy Bahama shirts? They are very expensive! The world is full of really nice short-sleeved shirts for men. Some of them every bit as nice, with tropical prints. My husband has several dozen of various types, including checks, stripes, batiks, plaids.

I was wondering the same thing. I did a little shopping online and they were all more than $100. I know I am something of a skinflint, but that seems like a lot for a short-sleeved shirt.

I'll tell you a secret, but don't tell any of the people on these boards who have cruised with us--I have bought many of David's nicest resort-style short-sleeved shirts in a second hand store. There, I said it. In fact, I bought part of my very first formal outfit in the same store for $10!

I'll tell you a secret, but don't tell any of the people on these boards who have cruised with us--I have bought many of David's nicest resort-style short-sleeved shirts in a second hand store. There, I said it. In fact, I bought part of my very first formal outfit in the same store for $10!

I'm not sure how many times I have said on these boards: "I agree with what Wendy said...", but once again I do!

Save your money for cruising! That's my philosophy!

Can I ask for similar help on the women's side of things? First time on Regent, 7 day Baltic cruise in July also, a week earlier than GFranzen.

Are women typically in skirts and dresses in the evenings now, with every night Elegant Casual? Or mostly nice slacks? I was hoping to pack dresses just for the Captain's Welcome and Farewell evenings, if Regent has those, as I like to be more relaxed on vacation.

Has anyone been on board this year yet with teen girls and can give us pointers for them? The typical teen uniform is jeans, so we're curious about what older teen girls are wearing on Regent. They were thinking of wearing dresses or skirts most evenings.

Nice slacks are fine. Skirts with nice tops are great too. And dresses, of course, both summery ones, and cocktail dresses if you like.

I'm trying to remember if I've seen any teenaged girls. A sun dress, or just a skirt and a top of some kind, but if a t-shirt, a nice one. I would avoid the jeans for dining, altho they are fine during the day. And avoid cropped t's, for I hope obvious reasons. A nice light pair of ballet slipper-style shoes would be nice for evenings.

Silly question but I have seen these abbreviations and am finally asking ... What does “DH” and DW” stand for = I’m assuming “wife” and “husband” but what does the “D” stand for?

Archived