What does Cunard mean by "t-shirt"?

leagle

I just received the travel documents for my August QM2 crossing (woohooo!) and they say that "you will not be permited to wear shorts or t-shirts in the resaurants after 18.00...." By "t-shirts" do they mean only the t-shaped underwear type shirts? Or does that include any top made of cotton jersey?

My summer wardrobe relies heavily on plain coloured, scoop neck, 3/4 sleeved cotton jersey tops. I would refer to them as "t-shirts" but they fit neatly and, with linen trousers or a skirt, IMO look pulled together and appropriate for almost any situation not calling for dressy evening clothes.

I also have sleeveless cotton jersey tops which I wear under jackets.

I might consider wearing either on elegant casual nights in Britannia. (perhaps with a silk skirt) and/or King's Court.

I appreciate that views of appropriate may differ, but am I liable to be sent back to my cabin to change? Or tutted at?

I just received the travel documents for my August QM2 crossing (woohooo!) and they say that "you will not be permited to wear shorts or t-shirts in the resaurants after 18.00...." By "t-shirts" do they mean only the t-shaped underwear type shirts? Or does that include any top made of cotton jersey?

My summer wardrobe relies heavily on plain coloured, scoop neck, 3/4 sleeved cotton jersey tops. I would refer to them as "t-shirts" but they fit neatly and, with linen trousers or a skirt, IMO look pulled together and appropriate for almost any situation not calling for dressy evening clothes.

I might consider wearing either on elegant casual nights in Britannia. (perhaps with a silk skirt) and/or King's Court.

I appreciate that views of appropriate may differ, but am I liable to be sent back to my cabin to change? Or tutted at?

I don't think the term T shirt applies so much to the female gender:D I think it is more associated to the male clothing round kneck short sleeve or even vest type clothing (the British vest not the US vets:D) I usually wear Polo shirts three button short sleeve with no problem during the day, but always wear a colared shirt in the evenings with or without a tie.

I think your choice of wardrobe is more than appropriate. We are crossing on June 7th and I am planning on taking many of the same kind of things that you have described. If they banish me to my cabin I will be sure to let you know when I get back. Good sailing.

Basically underwear t shirts. Either way this type of clothing is not proper attire for the main dining rooms at night. Cunard is about dressing up for dinner!

Thank you very much for your helpful replies.

I promise I will glam up for formal and semi-formal evenings.

It did seem silly if Cunard had meant to ban "dressy" t-shirts, but you never know....

Sauer-Kraut, what about the one that says "My husband went to Paris and all I got was this dumb t-shirt"?

Archived