Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2010 - all lines...

franski

My wife and I as well as a good friend will be sailing the Danube departing December 6th and adding a post cruise stay in Garmisch. We hope to find some fellow Cruise Critic members on the same cruise. We are both retired teachers. GermanBoy...what do you teach? Look forward to joinging the conversation!

My wife and I as well as a good friend will be sailing the Danube departing December 6th and adding a post cruise stay in Garmisch. We hope to find some fellow Cruise Critic members on the same cruise. We are both retired teachers. GermanBoy...what do you teach? Look forward to joinging the conversation!

Garmisch is so pretty! Try to visit Mittenwald as well, just 20 minutes by train.

December 6th is a major celebration day in Germany and Austria and we always time our trips to be someplace special on that day. Last year was Garmisch and it was delightful! There were many little children dressed as Santa handing out candies to other children.

Have a great trip!

Sorry swamp1sg

I am not on your cruise, jusat giving insights from mine.

Was a special ed teacher 35 years, severe/profound to gifted, high school to elementary, did last six years teaching science to mid school sped students because I was highly qualified, until I retired May 2009

That is the ship we came over on in August 1955, when I was 5. I actually found the ship manifest for this ship on ancestry dot com with all of us listed on it

I was born Gustav Alexander Lindenberg, mother died when I was one, her boyfriend, my father, was Austrian, put me in an orphanage. Adopted at age 2 by Americans in the military, they got such a good deal on me, they adopted 2 girls too.

You're the first person to say something about Gen Patch reference.

Now called Jerry Cross

Ok, what are kindereggs? At .50 - .99 Euros, it could make an inexpensive souvenier.

What is the suprise? And are the kindereggs available most places?

Thanks!

The Kindereggs would make a nice surprise. If you have some young children, A map of the countries you visit and currency from the countries makes an interesting/educational gift. We bring zip-lock bags so the money can be divided up equally. We usually bring back some local candy

Agree with bringing this back to the top... We leave 3 months tomorrow (November 29th...) Starting to squirrel away some bubble wrap, and look for a new jacket. I must say, however, it is a bit odd planning for a Christmas market cruise when it is so warm outside... :eek:

Fran

Carol,

You mentioned in one of your posts, you ordered shoes. What did you get? I'm really challenged by getting shoes/boots to fit. Will Tom make it with waterproof Merrells or Oboz? We're doing Christmas in Germany and Austria with Avalon. I'm so excited.

Tennessee Carol

Carol,

You mentioned in one of your posts, you ordered shoes. What did you get? I'm really challenged by getting shoes/boots to fit. Will Tom make it with waterproof Merrells or Oboz? We're doing Christmas in Germany and Austria with Avalon. I'm so excited.

Tennessee Carol

Zappos is a great place to order boots - free shipping in both directions and the best customer service I have experienced with an online company.

We are doing the same cruise on Affinity leaving 30 November from Frankfurt. We have made several trips to the Christmas markets in Germany and Austria by land and one by river cruise - it is a wonderful time to visit!

Tn Carol,

I bought my boots from Drew. They have a wide toe box and are very comfortable, but are expensive. I also have a very difficult time finding shoes to fit me due to a very wide (xxwide to xxxxwide) foot, high instep, etc. Drew shoes work very well for me. Good luck. I hope you find some shoes that fit.

Carol

Hello All:

I have been reading this thread which is so full of information. I just thought I'd chime in because my husband & I are sailing on the Viking Danube on Dec. 4 from Nuremberg to Budapest. Not our first river cruise, but our first time on the Danube, and all of the ports (Kelheim, Regensburg, Passau, Melk, Vienna) are new for us.

Rosie

I just read one of the suggested websites for Nuremberg's 2010 Christmas Market and it states that November 26 is the opening day. We are cruising with Vantage and have a day in Nuremberg November 24. Does that mean that the markets won't be open yet, or do some of them open before the official date? Anyone know the answer to that? Also, can anyone tell me how far the river cruise ships are docked from the city center of Nuremberg?

We lived in Germany 20 years ago, and are anxious to revisit some of our favorite towns on this cruise, and especially to enjoy the beautiful Christmas markets we loved in the past. Looking forward to gluwein, sausages, potato pancakes with applesauce, and freshly made waffles with cherries and whipped cream!

Bill & Cathie, Santa Barbara

Our boat docked about 15 minutes by bus from town.

The website says that "At 5.30pm on the Friday before the first Advent Sunday, the Christmas Angel opens her market, reciting the solemn prologue from the gallery of the church of Our Lady. And as every year, by Christmas Eve, more than two million visitors from all over the world."

We always leave the U.S on Thanksgiving Day and the markets in Germany have always been open when we arrived. We were in Nuremberg in early December so not sure if the main market will be open then or not.

BTW, we have never seen applesauce served with potato pancakes in Germany at the markets but perhaps that is a regional thing.

Don't miss the Lebkuchen in Nuremberg - the best of the trip!

Enjoy:)

Aren't there 3 markets in Nuremberg ? Somewhere I found a map showing a craftsman market by the train station and a sister cities market off to one side of the main square. I'd like to go to the craftsman market this year,if anyone has been could you fill in the details

Allan

Archived