Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2010 - all lines...

franski

Just want to wish you Christmas Market cruises a good time! I am totally jealous and wish I was going too. The two times I have done the Christmas Markets we have always left the day or two after Thanksgiving, so I know your trips are getting close! Safe travels everyone.

When I started this thread back in May, our cruise seemed so far off. Today AZPam posted post #200 - and the thread has over 10,000 views. And - we are 10 days away from leaving. Can hardly believe it!! Picked up some Euros - and some Swiss Francs - just to get us started. Also found a 3-in-1 jacket so that I have some warmth and rain protection as well.

Was not able to find a fellow cruiser here - but a couple of people have connected...

I am hoping to be able to get on-line when we are away (according to our documents, we can get unlimited internet access for 15 Euros for the week...) and so will try to post along the way.

I do have a question for anyone who has done the Rhine with Uniworld - and has taken the optional Rudesheimer dinner trip. DH and I think it will be fun - and the restaurant itself looks like it has a bit of history.

If anyone has taken this, do you remember the cost??

Anyway... starting the *real* countdown now... Yahoo!!

Fran

I do have a question for anyone who has done the Rhine with Uniworld - and has taken the optional Rudesheimer dinner trip. DH and I think it will be fun - and the restaurant itself looks like it has a bit of history.

Fran

Fran, I don't remember the cost (maybe something like 35 E ???), but the dinner was fun. BUT, there were a lot people who went, so it was crowded. We were split between 2 rooms and all the entertainment was NOT in our room. We had to keep jumping up and going in the other room to see what was going on. The food was good, and plenty of it.

The dinner was nice, but we were sorry that we didn't take the opportunity to just eat on our own in one of the lovely beer garden/restaurants in town............that was in May though, so it was much warmer to eat outside. The boat docks within a 10 minute walk to downtown.

Have fun on your trip.

Sharon

Our dinner in R. was towards the end of a trip and only about 15 of us went. This was a trip from the Black Sea to Ames., so many had taken optionals. The dinner was good and the audience participation in the entertainment was great fun. There was a birthday, the woman didn't drink, but managed to down a very large Rudesheim coffee.

Like AzPam, I wish I were going on a Christmas market trip this year.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!! Pat

When I started this thread back in May, our cruise seemed so far off. Today AZPam posted post #200 - and the thread has over 10,000 views. And - we are 10 days away from leaving. Can hardly believe it!! Picked up some Euros - and some Swiss Francs - just to get us started. Also found a 3-in-1 jacket so that I have some warmth and rain protection as well.

Was not able to find a fellow cruiser here - but a couple of people have connected...

I am hoping to be able to get on-line when we are away (according to our documents, we can get unlimited internet access for 15 Euros for the week...) and so will try to post along the way.

Fran

Fran, fellow "Ontario" cruiser here. We'll be on the River Queen, December 20th and then on to Paris from Cologne, for a five nighter over New Years. Starting to get pretty excited!

We hope you have a wonderful time and look forward to your review!

You are all getting me so excited and I don't go until next year! Our group has grown to 12 and just can't wait. In fact, we are getting together next Monday to start our one year calendar count down. I look forward to reading your reviews on ships (we will be on Uniworld's River Queen) ports, shopping and especially looking at photos!

Wishing you all safe journeys and fabulous times

Fran

have not been to dinner there, but just want to say not to pass up the Rudesheim coffee, we really liked it when we were there and would go back just for it. We have tried to make it at home. Have a nice cruise. Doing Mkts by bus in a few days also.

We're on our Christmas Market cruise on AMAWATERWAYS. It's been great so far. We landed in Prague Saturday evening. There was a light dusting of snow on the ground. We did some sightseeing and went to the Christmas Market in Prague on Sunday. It started snowing last night while we were at dinner. We were being bussed to Nuremberg today so it took a little longer with the snow. When we arrived in Nuremberg, the bus took us directly to the Christmas Market. Oh, my gosh, this market is so much better than the Prague market. Plus, it was still snowing so it was very beautiful!. We then boarded the Amalyra. It's a really lovely, nice ship. Everyone (passengers, crew) have been so friendly and helpful. Tomorrow, we have some sightseeing planned in the morning with a stop at the Christmas Market included before we head to Regensburg. We are really enjoying this!

Karen

:)HI Bree - Are you by any chance taking the Uniworld Christmas Markets tour that departs from US. on Dec 14? (Vienna-Nuremberg)? If so, I will be on your cruise! Gail PS. I thought this might be the case, as I received my documents yesterday also>

Hi again Bree - I just went back and read old posts. We will be on the same cruise - Should be lots of fun...I am really excited. I have been to Vienna before, but it has been several years and it was during the summer. I have started to line up clothes to take. I do understand that Austria/Germany weather is very similar to what we have in Pennsylvania. Last winter was pretty brutal though so I am hoping that comparison won't ring true. I did pick up a pack of long underwear just in case. A friend of mine travels to Switzerland frequently in the winter and she thought it would be a good idea. Looking forward to meeting on the ship. ;). Gail

We are excited to read your updates as we will be boarding the Amalyra next Monday in Budapest. Please keep the updates and observations coming!

You are going to love it!! It's been cold this week - in the 20's mostly. There has been snow on the ground the whole week so far and snowing right now. If you are properly dressed for the cold, you will be fine - boots, socks, long underwear, gloves and hat. We are from Texas so the snow is fun and unique for us. Very Christmasy!! Be sure to try the gluhwein. We didn't like it in Prague but it tasted wonderful in Nuremberg. Getting ready to head to the Thurn and Taxi Christmas Market and will be trying it there.

Karen

A Busman’s Holiday – Preparing for a “study vacation”.

Busman’s Holiday: Free time spent in much the same pursuit as one's work. For example, Weather permitting, the lifeguard spent all her days off at the beach--a real busman's holiday. The term alludes to a bus driver spending his day off taking a long bus ride. [Late 1800s]

NOTE: Captain Mike is a "small ship" Captain of U.S. Flagged cruise ships.

Many of our passengers often ask; “what do you do in your off time?” Well, in addition to the very long “to do” list that Mrs. Kiernan prepares for me upon my return from a busy cruise season; I also have a rather extensive continuing education commitment to maintain and upgrade my USCG Master’s license. This usually involves several weeks of training away from home at my own expense. Also, I own and manage an excursion vessel business which operates in partnership with the Maine Maritime Museum and there is a significant requirement to plan for each season, analyze the last season, make marketing plans, train crew, maintain and improve the vessel and comply with numerous USCG regulations and other matters as well…

…Sometimes, I get to take some “vacation time” too.

Thanks to the help of one of our travel industry partners, Michael Geske - of Exclusive Tours in Toronto, Canada; a travel firm specializing in Small Ship cruising, I booked a cruise on the Rhine River from Basel Switzerland to Amsterdam. On this voyage, I will be able to observe the operations of a European river cruise company that provides a small ship cruise experience somewhat similar to what I do as Captain of the Blount Small Ship Adventures vessels as we cruise the inland waterways of the U.S. and Canada. I hope to learn a few things that might prove helpful in improving the experiences of my future passengers.

The booking process with Exclusive Tours was fast, easy & accurate. I elected to make my own flight arrangements and was able to fly on SWISS AIR from Boston to Zurich. I also researched and prepared my own “tour” for a couple of days prior to the cruise and an extra day in Amsterdam. I was in Switzerland back in 1984 in Montreaux , and visited a bit in France & Italy at that time too. I had not spent much time in the “German” section of the country and so elected to focus my time in Zurich on this trip.

A Busman’s Holiday - Pre-Cruise Adventures…

Day ONE – Maine to Zurich, Switzerland

Hopped on the Logan Airport Bus from Portland, Maine and smooth ride into Boston for our evening departure to Zurich. Breezed through security and check-in. Boarded Flight 053 on SWISS AIR, ah good decision so far! Swiss Air’s service is outstanding. My last trip to Switzerland was in 1984 on an American carrier and of course I fly frequently and so am able to compare and sad to say, U.S. carriers have a long way to go to compete on service. One observation I had is that the Swiss Air seats may not be properly designed for some American derriere’s! Seats seem a little “skinny” in the width dept. but have plenty of fore & aft clearance.

Arrived on time in Zurich and zipped through immigration, easy to find the train station where I got a 3 day “Zurich Card” good for unlimited travel on the rail, trolley & bus systems in the Zurich area and includes FREE ADMISSION to over 37 Museums in Zurich. Took the train right into Central Station and just a few steps away and checked into our hotel, the Walhalla. The Walhalla is perfectly situated to walk to all of the major downtown sights, shopping and eating as well as on the transit lines connecting throughout the city.

We walked the famous Barnhoff Strasser (Main Shopping Street), and surrounding area, visited the Largest ChristKindli (Christmas Market) in Europe in the train station and listened to local children sing Christmas Carols from the “Singing Christmas Tree”. We then enjoyed a nice Italian Dinner out and conversed with some locals to find out about the local Holiday Drink (more on that later). Continued our stroll through the “Old City” section and stopped for a pint at an English Pub.

Great start, don’t you think?

Day TWO – More Zurich

Started the day with a typical continential breakfast in the hotel. Joined the City Tour by trolley bus in the AM and got familiar with the city. This is a great way to see the “highlights” and then decide what to go back and focus on during the rest of your visit. We left the trolley tour at the Barnhoff Strasser, and visited a couple of department stores to get a sense of how the locals live. Then off to a nice lunch in an Irish Pub and watched the run-up to the Big World Cup announcement being made here in Zurich (big news).

After lunch we took a tram back to central station and then walked to the Swiss National Museum. Spending the afternoon here was very enlightening and worthwhile. We learned a lot about Switzerland that I hadn’t known previously. Before dinner we enjoyed some of the local “holiday drink” GLUWIEN(sp?). Gluwien is sort of a HOT WINE drink with spices and a high alcohol content! Locals stand in LONG LINES to get a cup of this and then enjoy a standing version of “happy hour” with their friends before hopping on the trains back home…

Another dinner out then hit a café for dessert and coffee and we called it a day.

Zurich is well worth visiting and if you can afford it (everything is expensive here), you could spend a week here and still not see everything worth seeing.

Day THREE – Zurich to Basel by Train…

Mike, does the pilot house on your vessel retract any for low bridges. When I did my European river cruise (Viking, Budapest to Nurenburg), the hydraulically controlled pilot house normally sat about 5 feet above the level of the top deck but could be brought down to the deck level. A very easy process for the crew, but I think these vessels are designed for a specific river and don't need the flexibility to be in the Caribbean one month and the Erie Canal the next. I found it interesting to see their version of retractible pilot house.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived