Cruise #3 on the QM2 and have 2 more booked by end of 2005

ChicagoCruiser1973

I just ran across this site, and thought I would post my thoughts on the QM2. Obviously, based on the fact that I will have done 5 cruises on her in less than a year - I love it.

Demo: I am a 31 y/o single male. Booking categories have all been Q5 (Queens Grill)

I won't go into a ton of details of my overall experiences and impressions of the ship, but I think you either love it or hate it (although hate is a strong term). I have a very sociable business position where I must constantly be "on" - when I am on the ship, I feel that I have adequate space and venue to either be social or be completely by myself (even outside of my cabin).

Having stayed in hundreds of hotels, etc. I have to say that I have encountered some of the most attentive and passionate talent in the crew of the QM2. However, I am also understanding of the fact that it is a new ship and it still has some enhancements that can be made in several areas. Obviously, with any project of that size, it will take some time to near it towards perfection. That does not happen over night, I understand that and accept it.

For those of you attending the Caribbean cruise soon - I just did two back to back. You will LOVE it!!! Incredible experience. In fact, I had not originally booked for the second trip (same as the first), but the crew worked hard to find me space in an oversold ship - and found me space in a suite.

Some advice to those heading to the ports - wait until about an hour and a half after the tenders begin to go onto the port. That is the time when you don't require a "card" to board and the wait is much less.

My only real recommendations to Cunard as it relates to the Queens Grill class:

1. Drinks should be included. When I am paying $7-$12K (depending on trip) for a cruise, I would think that most drinks (except for the premium bottles of champagne that are my weakness) should be included. I would rather see $500 added to the fare to cover most of the cost rather than have to pay for each individual drink. Maybe that is just me, but more a matter of principle than anything.
  2. For anchored ports - have a dedicated tender(s) for Q and P passengers - again for the price, it would be nice to be able to bypass the lines for tenders, especially coming back to the ship near the end of the port time.

Other than that, I find everything to be excellent. Every crew member I have encountered has been incredible and personable. They are ultimately the reason I will keep returning.

Again, I can only comment on the Q category, as I have not cruised or dined in either the P or other categories.

Hope you all find this helpful. For those of you on upcoming cruises on the QM2 - ENJOY!!!!

Hello Chicago,

31 y/o male here as well. Thanks for the info. I am off to Ft. Lauderdale and the QM2 in a couple of hours so your posting came just in time. I will take your advice on the tenders and wait the hour and a half. Glad to hear that you had such good experiences on the QM2.

David

I only wish I had your time and money to do QM2 5 times in year! If I could, I would, too. I was on Jan 15 - 22 and thought it was wonderful, too. I have been reading these message boards in early 2003 when I booked a TA on QE2 in June 2003. I was Caronia class and loved that, too. They provide a lot of good information - but it was hard to read some of the things people said about QM2 - I agree with you that it takes a while to get everything running at 100%. But I experienced none of the issues by previous posts. I was in 5076 Britannia hull balcony - and for the value, it was really worth it. I think your comments for P & Q class are good suggestions. For the difference in price point that P & Q pay, you should have a few more extra perks other than dining rooms and room service. I saw some of the P rooms and didn't think they were that much better than mine. I do wish Cunard would put in 1 more class and separate the masses like QE2 does with Caronia va. Mauretania - Britannia Rest. was good, but not quiet as good as Caronia - and I like being able to have the open seating hours.

But I will be back on her again in 2006!

I can imagine the scene of Q and P passengers bypassing the line for the tenders to board their exclusive one. This would do a world of good to passenger relations.

David.

David-

I agree to a certain extent, but they usually had two tenders going back to the ship, especially towards the end of port. Would be great to have one line for each, just like at the airport.

Hello Chicago,

Glad to hear you had a good trip on QM2 in Q5 grade cabin - I usually travel on QE2 Grill Class and would love to travel onboard the QM2 but a single traveller just will not pay the 175 - 200% surcharges that are too expensive!!!! I hope that Cunard eventually change their policy re this.

I too agree with you that for the higher fares for P & Q grade cabins you should get an all inclusive package for drinks & also they should include free membership of the spa for the duration of the cruise.

Kind Regs,

RJMS74

chicagocruiser

i did a round trip transatlantic crossing in october and november in P class and agree totally that they should include drinks and wine, even if they have to add a bit to the price, altho for what they charge they shouldnt add a penny. having cruised silversea and seabourn which is all inclusive and less expensive per diem, its annoying to have to pull out your card for a coke or a glass of sparkling water, or wine with dinner. at least in the queens grill lounge they could make that accomodation.

having said that i sailed in QG on QE2 several tuimes and was anxious about P grill but was completely stunned by the level of food and service in the princess grill. absolutely first rate.

chicagocruiser

i did a round trip transatlantic crossing in october and november in P class and agree totally that they should include drinks and wine, even if they have to add a bit to the price, altho for what they charge they shouldnt add a penny. having cruised silversea and seabourn which is all inclusive and less expensive per diem, its annoying to have to pull out your card for a coke or a glass of sparkling water, or wine with dinner. at least in the queens grill lounge they could make that accomodation.

having said that i sailed in QG on QE2 several tuimes and was anxious about P grill but was completely stunned by the level of food and service in the princess grill. absolutely first rate.

I completely agree- I have heard that there is VERY little difference between the P and Q - personally, I could care less about the room, as I spend very little time there....there only real differences are the butler for Q, the special requests for Q in the grill (although I have a feeling you can get those in P as well) and the sundeck for Q that would not be applicable for the transatlantic.

Also, I am wondering if we were on the same transatlantic cruise in Oct/Nov - it left southampton on 10/31 (I treated my mom for her birthday, so she was my companion and we both LOVED it) - very rough seas throughout, but we didn't fall ill for some reason :)

Also, the QM2 now offers a "soda pass" for like $30 or so for the entire cruise...HOWEVER, I found that on the last two cruises I did (Jan 15 and 22 of '05) and elected to take the pass, it is just a sticker on the back of your card - if they don't bother to look, they will still charge you the $1.50 a soda.

PS...I have heard from several passengers AND crew that the food in P is exactly the same and the service is actually better in P Grill - so you are likely the smarter one to have booked that :) My lesson learned is that I will now book the P and ask for the upgrade guaranteed.

Hi ChicagoCruiser1973,

It is good to read a post from another Chicago resident and Cunard fan. I have sailed aboard the QE2 six times and cruised aboard the QM2 to the Caribbean last May. My next cruise is a seven-day cruise to Norway aboard the QE2 this May. I agree that the QM2 is a very impressive ship. I am glad to see that the QM2 will do some interesting cruises to South America and the Pacific next winter.

Did you notice much of a difference in the ship's atmosphere during a cruise compared to a crossing? I have noticed on the QE2 that the crossings seem more formal than the cruises. Also, the crossings tend to attract a more mature crowd. I love the many sea days during a crossing.

Hi ChicagoCruiser1973,

It is good to read a post from another Chicago resident and Cunard fan. I have sailed aboard the QE2 six times and cruised aboard the QM2 to the Caribbean last May. My next cruise is a seven-day cruise to Norway aboard the QE2 this May. I agree that the QM2 is a very impressive ship. I am glad to see that the QM2 will do some interesting cruises to South America and the Pacific next winter.

SeaCruise9-

Where in Chicago are you?! Great to hear of another fan of Cunard - absolutely love it :)

I have actually been thinking of doing the QE2 just to do it - so many people that I meet on the QM2 have done the QE2 and have mixed reviews relative to QM2. However, EVERYONE raves of the Qe2!!

Personally, I cannot compare the two, but there is a completely different feel aboard the QM2 than other lines.....something I can imagine you either hate or love :)

Take care, and happy sailing!

Hi ChicagoCruiser1973,

I live in Lakeview in a highrise near the lake (not surprisingly, I love having a view of the lake and Montrose Harbor). How about you?

The QE2 is getting old and certainly is not as spectacular as the QM2, but it has a great atmosphere and personality. I recommend trying the QE2 before it is too late.

chicagocruiser,

yes, i was indeed on the 10/31 crossing to NY. i have spoken to several people, including friends who were in QG on the 10/6 crossing in the other direction and compared experiences on PG and QG. all agreed PG is a far better choice. for one thing the princess grill onlyh acomodatesd 180 instead of 230 or so in QG. food and choices are identical. true, there is the ala carte menu in QG but i ordered anything i wanted any time. the service was exquisite. the maitreds (we had different ones in both directions since the one we had on the outgoing was transferred to QG for the 10/31. his name was osman and you probably know him) were beyond professional and couldnt do enough. as you say one doesnt spend that much time on the suite but the P class suite is very comfortable and frankly, the extra size and the butler did not warrant the extra cost for QG.

i vividly recall the rough seas for a couple of days onthat crossing and they were my favorites. that is why one crosses the atlantic on a liner, in my opinion....to be able to experience weather like that and know your ship can handle anything mother nature throws her way.

Archived