The phone call I have always waited for....

Boozebabe

Today I got the magic call from the "upgrade fairy". She announced herself as Na**** from Carnival. I yelled into the phone, "Oh my God its the upgrade fairy!" She laughed. My husband looked at me like I was nuts. (He didn't have a clue about the fairy until this phone call ...LOL) Then she told me she had a GREAT DEAL for us. We could upgrade from a balcony in the exact location we love to a suite in a so-so location. Now get this. For a "mere" $280. per person. I knew that the difference between our cabin and a suite was $300 per person when I booked it last week. What the heck kind of deal is that?? A savings of $20 whole dollars. Jeesh

I told her that I knew what a suite costs and didn't think that was such a deal and politely declined. I guess they are just trying to get more money out of the people who are already booked. I didn't want to p*ss her off so that maybe someday again I'll get a call and an offer worth taking.

I had to laugh about your reaction at first to the call & your Hubby's. Would have been the same way here. As far as the 'deal' goes, don't blame you for passing, not any kind of spectacular deal. We are booked for an aft wrap balcony & have decided we wouldn't go up to a suite for anything. LOL. We have gotten so excited about the cabin we have booked & it's location.

I got all excited 2 weeks before we sailed when Carnival (not my PVP) called me...thought I finally was meeting the Upgrade Fairy! It was a very nice rep trying to sell us the trip insurance:rolleyes::(

I agree...not a good deal they offered you:rolleyes:

I got all excited 2 weeks before we sailed when Carnival (not my PVP) called me...thought I finally was meeting the Upgrade Fairy! It was a very nice rep trying to sell us the trip insurance:rolleyes::(

I agree...not a good deal they offered you:rolleyes:

Now that you mention your "insurance call" I think maybe that was the whole purpose of the call to me. She mentioned TWICE that we hadn't signed up for insurance yet and need to do it soon. I never buy insurance from the cruise line. I buy independently. She probably knew I wouldn't take the suite deal anyway.

This is about the same deal we have been offered the last couple of cruises. Not much of a deal.

One carnival cruise, we were offered an upgrade for a couple hundred bucks pp to a Suite on Triumph, we declined. 2 weeks later I go to order some BV stuff and see our room number has changed. So I call and they say "Oh ya, you got upgraded to a suite, for free." "Ok......thanks!"

You never know when the fairy will strike.:)

Originally Posted by Traveler353

No up sells for me. I am holding out for the free upgrade to the Owners Suite from my Porthole cabin.

I'm easy I'd accept a balcony for my porthole cabin.LOL:rolleyes:;):)

I must be lucky. I have received a call from the upgrade fairy for every cruise I have taken, with the exception of our first!! They always seem over priced to me. I'm always polite and tell them "no thanks, but don't worry, you'll get my money some other way!"

On our last cruise on the conquest, they called and offered a deck 8 aft wrap for 500 total more, not pp! I had to take it, and loved every second of it!! By the way, you are right, once you cruise with an upgrade, its hard to cruise without it!!

To the O.P. not that great of a deal. I understand. However in December 2009 while on a super cheap cruise on the Elation out of San Diego we got a call on our home phone message machine offering us an upgrade from outside on lowest deck to a Cat 11 suite on the Destiny for our Jan 7th 2010 cruise for $200.00 p.p. While not a great deal my spouse was so excited about it I could not say no. We actually called using our cell phones on the Elation to upgrade for our next cruise. The suite was nice. We have had suites before. But it depends on the cruise and the price.

We just spent 15 days on Elation Panama canal in an outside because the suite was just too much... So while a suite is nice it does note necessarily ruin you for all other cabins. (Fantasy Class ships only offer balcony on suites)

Tom in Long Beach

Today I got the magic call from the "upgrade fairy". She announced herself as Na**** from Carnival. I yelled into the phone, "Oh my God its the upgrade fairy!" She laughed. My husband looked at me like I was nuts. (He didn't have a clue about the fairy until this phone call ...LOL) Then she told me she had a GREAT DEAL for us. We could upgrade from a balcony in the exact location we love to a suite in a so-so location. Now get this. For a "mere" $280. per person. I knew that the difference between our cabin and a suite was $300 per person when I booked it last week. What the heck kind of deal is that?? A savings of $20 whole dollars. Jeesh

I told her that I knew what a suite costs and didn't think that was such a deal and politely declined. I guess they are just trying to get more money out of the people who are already booked. I didn't want to p*ss her off so that maybe someday again I'll get a call and an offer worth taking.

From what I'm hearing and reading here lately, they need to change the name from "upgrade fairy" to "upsell fairly." I don't see many true upgrades going on.

The last true upgrade I got was on the Carnival Glory. I went from a balcony room to a Cat. 11 suite for ......get this....absolutely no additional money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's what I call a true upgrade! Unfortunately, that has been several cruises back and before Carnival restructured its pricing and stateroom classifications.

From what I'm hearing and reading here lately, they need to change the name from "upgrade fairy" to "upsell fairly." I don't see many true upgrades going on.

The last true upgrade I got was on the Carnival Glory. I went from a balcony room to a Cat. 11 suite for ......get this....absolutely no additional money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that's what I call a true upgrade! Unfortunately, that has been several cruises back and before Carnival restructured its pricing and stateroom classifications.

Very true, big difference. Some are having trouble telling the difference.

We declined the UPSELL fairy on our May Fantasy cruise (they wanted to sell us a Cat 11 or a Cat 12 suite).

However, I happily accepted the UPGRADE fairy's offer from a 6B to a Balcony on the Spa deck on the Triumph for FREE in January!!!

So the UPGRADE fairy is still out there.....although folks probably see the UPSELL fairy a lot more!!

Archived