Transportation -Venice airport to cruise ship

dwplanb

Does anyone have any advise as to the best way to get from the airport in Venice to the ship? We are flying in on embarcation day and are curious if a bus or taxi is better. Also, if you know the approximate cost, that would be helpful in making the decision!:)

Does anyone have any advise as to the best way to get from the airport in Venice to the ship? We are flying in on embarcation day and are curious if a bus or taxi is better. Also, if you know the approximate cost, that would be helpful in making the decision!:)

By far the cheapest way is an ATVO Express Fly-bus for 3 Euro pp to Piazzale Roma (they run about every 1/2 hour most of the day, every hour early or late), then the new People Mover to the Maritime Terminal for 1 Euro pp. If you'd rather not walk from the People Mover station to the Baggage turn-in building, HAL will probably be running a shuttle from P.le Roma to the ship for $5 pp. (They had one for RuthC's cruise earlier this month.)

See http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35

They run every 1/2 hour most of the day, less often early or late

http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Venezia-Marco_Polo_(dal_28.03_al_30.10.2010).pdf

The most convenient way is a land taxi from the airport to the ship for about 50 Euro, plus tip. That would work out to about $75 for two people, roughly half of the HAL transfer price.

We usually hire a car and driver. It costs more but it is a lot more relaxing. There are several web sites that you can look at but as I recall the last time we were there (last summer) it cost us about $60.

Thanks Everyone...just found out that we have HAL transfers from the airport.Had no idea! Hal rep said it will not show on your reservation...weird??!!!
My TA added those to our booking, and I had him taake them off. Presuming that you paid for them, if you cancel them you can save at least $160 (maybe more) by taking a taxi both ways, or about $300 by taking the public bus instead of HAL's bus!!

There was no charge for the ship shuttle last October.

It was $5.00 one-way, per person, this May. The charge was added to the shipboard account.

When embarking the ship the luggage was dropped off at one building, then we were brought to another building for check-in. Then the ship was quite a hike from there (like maybe two ship-lengths).

I used the HAL airport/terminal transfer @ $79 per person, each way. Totally worth it to me to be taken care of, and not have to think---or schlepp my luggage.

Many thanks to all of you for your advise. We can take the bus or even a taxi and still save over $150!!! I love this website and connecting with all of you smart people! One call to our TA and they removed over $210 of transfer charges....

If I'm understanding this right, the People Mover takes you from P. Roma to the Maritime Terminal. You then have to walk with your luggage to the drop off baggage terminal, then walk to the check in terminal, then walk a distance to board the ship?

If you use the Hal shuttle from P. Roma, the luggage is dropped off, the shuttle takes us to the check in terminal, and then we walk to board the ship?

Does anyone know what time the Hal shuttle starts running? We like to get to the terminal about 10:30 AM to relax.

Thanks for any help; love this board!

If I'm understanding this right, the People Mover takes you from P. Roma to the Maritime Terminal. You then have to walk with your luggage to the drop off baggage terminal, then walk to the check in terminal, then walk a distance to board the ship?

If you use the Hal shuttle from P. Roma, the luggage is dropped off, the shuttle takes us to the check in terminal, and then we walk to board the ship?

Does anyone know what time the Hal shuttle starts running? We like to get to the terminal about 10:30 AM to relax.

Thanks for any help; love this board!

Click on the map below to enlarge it.

2844714670099632937aGfAMZ_th.jpg

The Maritima station of the People Mover is about in the center of the triangular space mid-way between Piazzale Roma and Tronchetto Island, a little to the left of the word Venezia.

The green building labeled 117 is the pier where the Nieuw A will likely be docked, but it could be forward of that, next to the unlabeled white building.

The mustard-colored building just above pier 107 is labeled (by the tag line) CONSEGNA BAGAGLI - LUGGAGE ACCEPTANCE POINT.

The check-in building that RuthC mentioned is probably the mustard-colored small building next to pier 103, which is labeled Venezia Terminal Passeggeri.

I would expect that the HAL shuttle will begin running as soon as the cruise prior to yours (and mine) begins disembarking around 8:00a, but it is not likely that your/our cruise will begin embarking before 11:00a.

I would expect that the HAL shuttle will begin running as soon as the cruise prior to yours (and mine) begins disembarking around 8:00a, but it is not likely that your/our cruise will begin embarking before 11:00a.

The shuttle did start its runs during my disembarkation, as there were passengers staying on for the next cruise.

My check-in started at 11:30, and boarding began at noon.

Thanks John for the very helpful explanation and pictures of the port. I feel a lot more comfortable now. Which Nieuw Amsterdam cruise(s) are you taking?

Ruth, thanks for your info. too. The 11:30 check in and Noon boarding seems to be the norm in every port we've sailed out of, but good to get feedback on a specific port.

Ruth, thanks for your info. too. The 11:30 check in and Noon boarding seems to be the norm in every port we've sailed out of, but good to get feedback on a specific port.

You're welcome. I was surprised it was so late. I'm used to check-in starting by 11:00 (if not a tad earlier), and boarding by 11:30.

Thanks Everyone...just found out that we have HAL transfers from the airport.Had no idea! Hal rep said it will not show on your reservation...weird??!!!

How can I determine if I have this transfer service already included? Is this some thing that my travel agent would have embedded in our fare or is this just a bennie from HAL?

How can I determine if I have this transfer service already included? Is this some thing that my travel agent would have embedded in our fare or is this just a bennie from HAL?
TA's like to slip them in, at $79 pp each way! They should show on your TA booking confirmation. If they don't, call your TA to ask.

Just hope that it doesn't rain. It was pouring in Venice when the TA portion of the cruise departed. Those who took the shuttle complained that there was only one shuttle going to Piazza Roma. And those who took the taxi, said they were soaked just getting to the taxi. And getting off the ship was also backed up due to the rain. Several thought it was not a great way to end the cruise. Read the Westerdam April 14th roll call.

My husband and I took the HAL shuttle. Don't know how you got your $79 price Ruth as we paid $114 each. I also agree the price was worth not having to wait for the shuttle and then try to schlepp our heavy suitcases.

My husband and I took the HAL shuttle. Don't know how you got your $79 price Ruth as we paid $114 each.

Unless your transfer included some sightseeing excursion time, I think you were overcharged. The amount added by my TA (which I had removed) was $158 pp round-trip (or "return" as they call it in Europe).

3 Euro per person with the bus from Venice airport to Piazza Roma and then we took a taxi from the Piazza to the terminal for 20 euro for the 4 of us. Taxi dropped us off right in front of the luggage drop off. Total cost for 4......32 Euro. This was in November 2009.

Theo

Unless your transfer included some sightseeing excursion time, I think you were overcharged. The amount added by my TA (which I had removed) was $158 pp round-trip (or "return" as they call it in Europe).

You are correct. We originally booked the sightseeing portion (actually Venice drop off), but it was cancelled. Our $114 was refunded and we were charged $79. I had forgotten that we had paid less than the $114.

The cost for the HAL shuttle from Pizzale Roma to the ship (or vice versa) was $5 per person per trip when we were there (on the Westerdam) last month.

The Marritima Station for the "People Mover" was still under construction and not in operation as of 17th May. The "People Mover" is running from Tronchetto to Pizzale Roma, but not stopping at the Marritima Station.

It's either quite a long walk or $5 for the shuttle.

The Marritima Station for the "People Mover" was still under construction and not in operation as of 17th May. The "People Mover" is running from Tronchetto to Pizzale Roma, but not stopping at the Marritima Station.
Thanks - I had forgotten that that station would not be open for early-season cruisers. We're going in Sep, so I've just been thinking that it will be open for us. Did you happen to see any estimates of when that station would open?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived