Running track on EOS???

The nice cvp's at Royal can't help me so here I am - asking the people who really KNOW the ship Explorer of the Seas. Can any of you runners/walkers out there tell me the length (distance) of the running track on this ship? Our group includes four triathletes who are the inquiring minds who want to know. :)

Thanks, swiss

I think 5 laps = 1 mile....but they'll have to do their running early (or late)...the track cuts thru the upper pool deck, and on sea days, the lounge chairs will creep into the track, as they are so close together, there's no room to put them elsewhere!

I think 5 laps = 1 mile....but they'll have to do their running early (or late)...the track cuts thru the upper pool deck, and on sea days, the lounge chairs will creep into the track, as they are so close together, there's no room to put them elsewhere!

Thank you very much for your response. I guess they will be running around that track many, many times...and yes, they do run very early in the day.

Appreciate you taking the time to post an answer to my ?

swiss

I was training for a marathon on the last cruise I took on AOS. (similar ship). I found that for the long/slow runs it was better to run on the Dreadmill in the gym. I did some shorter workouts on the running track, but even if you get up very early you will be dodging either guests or workers cleaning the deck and chairs. The track is VERY short, and even though I hate running on a treadmill, it worked out better for me. On the treadmill, you can also vary the grade a bit, and do some slight uphill running. I also did a run in San Juan and on St. Thomas, just to change things up a bit.

5 Laps = 1 mile so approx 300m long track.

Running after 9am on a sea day is an almost impossibility due to peeple (rude people) pulling sun loungers out onto track for ease of access to their lounger or to ensure they get as much sun as possible.

As someone else suggested, If you are a proper runner I would suggest the treadmills in the fitness centre.

I am but a mere jogger/fast walker so was able to make use of the Explorer track until I severely sprained my ankle playing soccer :(

I was on Explorer in April on a 5 day and ran on the track most mornings around 6:30, which was around sunrise that time of the year. It was nearly empty at that hour. While in theory there are separate run and walk lanes, I'd occasionally have to slide around walkers, and FAST runners might not enjoy the turns. Still, I enjoyed being outside and watching the sun rise. I agree with previous posts that after 9am (and probably even earlier) running on the track becomes impractical. Also if the ship is fighting a headwind, running or even walking on that deck is no fun or impossible.

The fitness center was also nearly empty when it opened (7am?) and the treadmills are plentiful and very good. I've heard they fill up as the day goes on.

So, my advice would be to do whatever training they choose to do early

I was on Explorer in April on a 5 day and ran on the track most mornings around 6:30, which was around sunrise that time of the year. It was nearly empty at that hour. While in theory there are separate run and walk lanes, I'd occasionally have to slide around walkers, and FAST runners might not enjoy the turns. Still, I enjoyed being outside and watching the sun rise. I agree with previous posts that after 9am (and probably even earlier) running on the track becomes impractical. Also if the ship is fighting a headwind, running or even walking on that deck is no fun or impossible.

The fitness center was also nearly empty when it opened (7am?) and the treadmills are plentiful and very good. I've heard they fill up as the day goes on.

So, my advice would be to do whatever training they choose to do early

On Liberty it was noticably easier to run pretty much at any time of the day around the running/jogging/walking track. Explorers top deck is so much smaller though and packed to high heaven with loungers.

I just heard this fact on the travel channel. 5 laps = 1 mile.

Yep 5 laps= 1 mile. We did it on Explorer 2 yrs ago. Wind at the bow was terrible. We still had to dodge people/walkers/crew at 6am. If they are training seriously, run the mill on sea days and plot a course at your ports to run. A great way to see an island is to run it.

On Liberty it was noticably easier to run pretty much at any time of the day around the running/jogging/walking track. Explorers top deck is so much smaller though and packed to high heaven with loungers.

Oh thank God for open lanes!

I know Majesty had a one mile run on the track, I need to paw through some recent Liberty compasses to see if they have such an animal. I bet it would be fun trying to do a hard mile on a ship.

5 laps and yes, get the running in by 9am before the lounge lizards start moving the chairs around. The only time I ever considered going on carnival, I was on Navigator and the smaller Carnival glory pulled in next to us and I saw that running track with no deck chairs!

I do run on the "track" and have encountered the lounge lizards. I have "accidentally" hit the chairs and at times just run over the top of unoccupied ones. The looks I get when I hit the chairs! Stay off the track!

Archived