Azamara Journey in London yesterday

Literary Lynne

Hi

Thought you might like to see this report in the London Evening Standard about the Journey sailing up the Thames. The image shows her just passing through the Thames Barrier en route to Greenwich. It made me smile to see her described as a giant liner!!!!

Wish I was on her.........:)

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23840591-giant-liner-cruises-into-the-thames.do

Thank you for posting this. We were told this was going to happen while we were on our cruise. The staff was so excited that this was going occur! I really wanted to stay onboard just to experience this. How exciting!!

Linda

I guess the writer for the London Evening Standard was on holiday when the Azamara Journey docked at Tower Bridge for 2 nights in August 2008.

Although the Journey started up the Thames bow first, the ship was later pivoted 180 degrees and pulled stern first the rest of the way to Tower Bridge. People along the shore were as interested as those of us lucky enough to be on the ship. There was lots of waving.

Being docked at Tower Bridge was fantastic because we were in the middle of everything.

About the visit in 2008. On that occasion the newspaper described the Journey in similar terms of hugeness! I think they called her a monster. I suppose she does look rather large compared with anything else that sails the Thames. I know the first time she came she was moored by Tower Bridge but since then it has been further out at Greenwich, which is a beautiful place to be but not so central as Tower Bridge by the Tower of London.

Lynne

I have just spect three days in London, times especially to see Journey on the Thames. [Yes, I know, I am sad!] It was difficult to decide where to be when so I am so pleased to see the shot of her at the Thames Barrier. It is a good picture considering that it was raining at the time.

The weather for the next day was fantastic and so there were loads of people around to see Journey at Greenwich. During the whole day, I only heard one couple comment on her. Is everyone so blase these days?

When I have recovered, I will post some pictures of my own.

Interestingly, Journey looked very small most of the time except when I tried to get shots of her passing the Greenwich World Heritage site as she departed at 05:30 yesterday morning. [i had been waiting since 04:00 because she nearly caught me out by arriving an hour early!]

Sue

Hi Project Gal

Isn't it funny how attached your can get to a ship! I know that I did with the Journey anyway...:o And then to see her come into your local waters is almost like a 'prodigal' return! I'm impressed that you timed your stay in London to coincide with her stop at Greenwich.

Wish our next cruise was on the Journey or the Quest but unfortunately nothing fitted too well with our schedules this year.

Lynne:)

Lynne

I have to admit to having a little tear in my eye when she arrived and left. We have not been on Journey but spent 24 days on Quest last year and have to wait until next year before we are on her again. I just had to see Journey in London.

Sue

Yes, thank you very much for the wonderful pictures. How exciting. I have always wanted to take a journey up the Thames on a cruise or river ship and to be docked (preferable to anchoring) there overnight.

I only wish Cruise Critic would permit larger pictures as attachments.

The best way to see them is if they are stored on another website and you copy the image address to insert them into your post, or if you post them to the Photo Gallery of Cruise Critic and link to that (or maybe you can copy the image address there, too, if you can see the image in its own window first.)

Isn't it funny to call the Azamara Journey "MASSIVE" and "GIANT" in this day and age? Everything is indeed relative. :)

The best way to see them is if they are stored on another website and you copy the image address to insert them into your post, or if you post them to the Photo Gallery of Cruise Critic and link to that (or maybe you can copy the image address there, too, if you can see the image in its own window first.) :)

I always take high definition photogrpahs and reduced them considerably with the intention of copying them into my post but they were still too large for the memory of my laptop to cope with! I will try to post them to the Photo Gallery.

Sue

Hi Sue

Just back from a week with my parents, three days of which were spent in Skegness. The first thing I did on my return was to see if you had posted the promised photos, and you had. They are wonderful, thank you. I loved the ones of the Journey with Greenwich in the background. I wish I had been there to see her. Thanks so much.

Lynne :)

Archived