How to get to Fort Catherine from St. George's

fgc15527

Hi,

I was interested in getting directions to Fort Catherine from St. George's. If you have visited the Fort - could you please describe it. We are bringing a 13 yr old boy and a 10 yr old girl and we were wondering if it might be something interesting for them to see. Thanks

We walked - it was about 20 mins, but other than the view, there was little left of the fort itself. There was two areas where guns were, but that was it. Ther fort in Hamilton was much better. There is also one at the Dockyard but we didn't go there.

Forget what I said above - I was looking at the wrong pictures!:rolleyes:

Fort Catherine was still a 20 min walk from town, but it was huge! There is a museum, the 'keep', a small arms exhibit, replicas of England's crowm jewels. Your kids would like it (as long at that's there thing). Admissiom was $5 for adults, $2 for kids 11 and under, open 10a - 4p.

Forget what I said above - I was looking at the wrong pictures!:rolleyes:

Alexandra's Battery Park?;)

Fort Catherine was still a 20 min walk from town, but it was huge! There is a museum, the 'keep', a small arms exhibit, replicas of England's crowm jewels. Your kids would like it (as long at that's there thing). Admissiom was $5 for adults, $2 for kids 11 and under, open 10a - 4p.

GREAT views as well.

We're also planning to see Fort St. Catherine on our "St. George's" day in Bermuda. Our itinerary from Dockyard looks like this:

Thursday - ferry to St. George's, bus to Tobacco Bay for snorkeling; bus back to St. George; sightseeing, lunch (Whitehorse?), Fort St. Catherine in afternoon; ferry back to Dockyard.

Does that order make sense? I read it is better to get to Tobacco Bay early. Is the walk to the Fort easy, well marked, etc.?

Thanks!

We're also planning to see Fort St. Catherine on our "St. George's" day in Bermuda. Our itinerary from Dockyard looks like this:

Thursday - ferry to St. George's, bus to Tobacco Bay for snorkeling; bus back to St. George; sightseeing, lunch (Whitehorse?), Fort St. Catherine in afternoon; ferry back to Dockyard.

Does that order make sense? I read it is better to get to Tobacco Bay early. Is the walk to the Fort easy, well marked, etc.?

Thanks!

There is no bus to Tobacco Bay. If you don't want to walk, it is not a long walk, it is a cheap taxi ride or there is the Minivan from the Town Square. The Fort is nearby Tobacco Bay so you could combine that with one trip from the town. I would do Tobacco Bay, then the Fort and back to town.

Fort St Catherine is .3-.4 mile from Tobacco Bay. If you are on the road that borders TB facing the water, turn right and start walking. Unless you specifically want to lunch at the White Horse, there is a pub/bar/tavern right next to FSC named Blackbeard's Hideout located on Achilles Bay http://www.table.bm/RestaurantProfile.aspx?rID=41 . Save traveling time by eating there; more time for beach or sightseeing.

SBtS

Thanks, Charles and SB!

I think we will take your recommendations on going to TB, then FSC, then back to St. George for whatever sightseeing. I had us going back and forth just to witness the little "historical" reenactment, but from what I'm hearing it's not worth that kind of effort.

Thanks for the tip on Blackbeards Hideout - we were not set on Whitehorse - I think we'll just play it by ear. DH will likely split from DS and me as he's not a beach guy, and drive around a bit - he lived in Bermuda a while back and wants to visit some of his old haunts.

As always, great information - thanks!!!

Andrea

Archived