Helsinki

You seem to have done a bit of research. :)

Its a former container harbour and plans are to change it into a residental area. Things are a bit messy there right now and I'm not sure exactly about the current status but I think it might be possible to walk.

There is also rebuilding work at corner Itämerenkatu/Mechelininkatu but there should always be some way available for pedestians.

Trams should sale one day tickets. Note there is also a subway station four block westwards on Itämerenkatu (corner Itämerenkuja).

I did also e mail the Tourist Board and they think I can walk out of the dock area too, then catch the No 8 tram, so that is my plan. Just have to see if it works!:D

Simon

TMLAalum ~ thanks SO much for the advice about the Helsinki maps and info!! Sent for them late last week (on line) and just got a package today! A great map of Helsinki and book about the city - bus and tram maps! Even though we'll only be there a few hours it's still great to have the infomation!

Thanks for sharing!!! and have a fantastic cruise/vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TMLAalum ~ thanks SO much for the advice about the Helsinki maps and info!! Sent for them late last week (on line) and just got a package today! A great map of Helsinki and book about the city - bus and tram maps! Even though we'll only be there a few hours it's still great to have the infomation!

Thanks for sharing!!! and have a fantastic cruise/vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate the good wishes, Marielite Peg! And the same happy wishes to you both for your voyage next month:D.

We will be on the Regatta and are due to arrive at south Harbor, Olympia Quay No. 1 (E01) on August 31. Question is how to use public transportation to get to the center of town from our ship and also to get back to the ship. We are interested in seeing the Lutheran Church and the Sibelius monument. We are not sure what else we would want to see as I am just starting to research this port. Suggestions? How do we purchase tickets and which pass would work best? Thank you so much. I have tried to follow this thread but not sure with the other cruise lines.

Thank you so much. We are excited to see Helsinki.

Pearl

bayjoens, seems ok to me

*Walk or 3T to Market Square: stops?

Stop is either "Senattintori" (Senate Square) or "Kauppatori" (Market Square).

*To ship: Bus 16 from corner Mannerheim road/ Southern Esplanade (Stop: “Erottaja”)

Or rather in the middle of the block, (next to Clas Olsson hardware store).

"Erottaja" is the stop where you get on and the quay is at the final stop "Hernesaaren laituri"

I did also e mail the Tourist Board and they think I can walk out of the dock area too, then catch the No 8 tram, so that is my plan. Just have to see if it works!:D

Simon

Nice to hear that. :)

There is also tram 6 as an alternative to tram 8 if you want to go to downtown instead. Exiting harbour to the right 50 Yards to where you can cross the road (Sillilaituri) and then another 100 Yards to the right.

We will be on the Regatta and are due to arrive at south Harbor, Olympia Quay No. 1 (E01) on August 31. Question is how to use public transportation to get to the center of town from our ship and also to get back to the ship. We are interested in seeing the Lutheran Church and the Sibelius monument. We are not sure what else we would want to see as I am just starting to research this port. Suggestions? How do we purchase tickets and which pass would work best? Thank you so much. I have tried to follow this thread but not sure with the other cruise lines.

From ship take to right, uphill past the terminal buildings to tram 3T (250 Yards) if you don't want to walk a further 1/3 Mile to market hall or 0.6 mIles to the Lutheran Cathedral.

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&layer=c&cbll=60.159922,24.960503&panoid=ZmQJehILZSkrTa-ja3aWmA&cbp=12,322.95,,0,6.99&ll=60.159981,24.960358&spn=0,0.03298&z=16

http://maps.google.fi/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=60.16107,24.956861&spn=0,0.03298&z=16&layer=c&cbll=60.161204,24.956702&panoid=HYeP5DHsjbmjq6VqEtFLDQ&cbp=12,6.79,,0,0.55

Regarding Sibelius Momument

Bus 24 starting from corner Mannerheim road/Southern Esplanade would take you past the monument exit at stop "Rajasaarentie" and walk a bit back. But bus goes just twice a hour.

For using tram 3T, read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1177157

Bus 14/14B, stop: "Töölön kirjasto", also passes relatively close by (some 350 Yards walk)

http://aikataulut.ytv.fi/reittiopas/en/line/?line=14B&type=1

Tram should sale single tickets for 2.50 euro or one day tickets for 6.80 Euro.

Regarding Sibelius Momument

Bus 24 starting from corner Mannerheim road/Southern Esplanade would take you past the monument exit at stop "Rajasaarentie" and walk a bit back. But bus goes just twice a hour.

Correction: Mannerheim road/Northern Esplanade !

Thank you, Ultima Thule! I have saved the directions. I had seen the link previously to the tourist board, but never got to the page where one could order the brochures. For some reason, I missed the link there. I did order the brochures so hopefully they will arrive soon so I can start to plan our day in Helsinki.

Thank you again.

Pearl

Archived