oil has hit pensacola beach

jj1975

Futaba -- I agree. It is frustrating. I also wish the volunteer floodgates would open.

I registered with all the sites ~3 or 4 weeks ago and only received one email requesting people come down for a beach clean up on Sat, June 5 (this was somewhere in LA and, I believe, targeted at locals). I do not own a boat, but I can operate one and have access to a 4-wheel drive vehicle, that I could borrow and bring down, which I let them know. I also stated that I would be willing to receive hazmat training. Still have not heard anything.

It seems that right now the only way for those of us who do not live in the area to support the Gulf states is to send money or other requested resources.

If you hear of other ways to help in person, I hope you will post it on the boards.

Good luck!

I think I'm done with all of this, and will go back to stuffing the ballot box, me.

I enjoyed your updates. Dont let a few who want you to post differently change you or stop you from your updates, please.. how many people posted and requested that you keep doing them.. a whole lot of us said that ..a lot more than a couple posting today to silence you on facts.

As far as stuffing the ballot box ...ah ha...so you admit it.

One way to help is to not be an alarmist. There are a number of areas suffering that have in no way been touched by oil, yet tourists are staying away because they think the Gulf is one big oil slick. It isn't.

As far as I know, no Texas fishing areas have been affect - shrimp, oysters, crabs and fish should still be available from there. Not all areas of Louisiana are closed.

Not all beaches, from Mexico to the Florida Keys are affected, yet tourism is affected along the whole stretch.

Just visiting and spending money would help. I don't suggest swimming in oil.

Ok, now I'm done. Maybe.

I enjoyed your updates. Dont let a few who want you to post differently change you or stop you from your updates, please.. how many people posted and requested that you keep doing them.. a whole lot of us said that ..a lot more than a couple posting today to silence you on facts.

As far as stuffing the ballot box ...ah ha...so you admit it.

I enjoyed posting updates but I guess others decided to trash the threads and they went poof. That got old fast. I'm hoping to do a road trip in the next few weeks and check some of it out for myself.

What ballot box?

Futaba - Wanted to add... I would appreciate updates from you if you hear about volunteer opportunities opening up. I continue to look into it and find more sites to register with, but if you hear of any change, again, I urge you to report it. Although I have no plans to head south this summer, if a volunteer option were made available, I would head down immediately and am sure others would too.

It has been difficult to get a clear picture of the volunteer efforts, how many are actually working on spill clean-up, etc... so more info on that end would be great too.

Actually, if anyone hears of the volunteer floodgates opening, I hope they will post.

Futaba -- I agree. It is frustrating. I also wish the volunteer floodgates would open.

I registered with all the sites ~3 or 4 weeks ago and only received one email requesting people come down for a beach clean up on Sat, June 5 (this was somewhere in LA and, I believe, targeted at locals). I do not own a boat, but I can operate one and have access to a 4-wheel drive vehicle, that I could borrow and bring down, which I let them know. I also stated that I would be willing to receive hazmat training. Still have not heard anything.

It seems that right now the only way for those of us who do not live in the area to support the Gulf states is to send money or other requested resources.

If you hear of other ways to help in person, I hope you will post it on the boards.

Good luck!

My apologies. I mistook you for someone who was more about talk and less about the walk.

BP has already said they will pay for the for the cleanup effort and the federal government has already said it will hold BP financially responsible so your point is moot. BP is still making plenty of money even now and can definitely afford it; besides, they have plenty of assets that we can seize if they fail to reimburse the government for the cleanup. The main point is that the government cannot sit back and wait for BP to clean up this mess; it needs to use whatever resources are necessary to get the job done now and send BP the bill.

Exactly! I also think that BP and the government has handled this poorly from the very beginning .

What I don't understand is why the officials in La. need permission from BP to clean up their own shores,marshes etc. What kind of nonsense is that?:confused::confused:

What I don't understand is why the officials in La. need permission from BP to clean up their own shores,marshes etc. What kind of nonsense is that?:confused::confused:

Officials in Louisiana (or any other coastal state for that matter) do not need permission from BP to take action against the spill. What they need are the permits and clearances from the US Army corps of Engineers and other federal agencies to begin some of the work they want to do ( barriers, berms, trenches, dredging, etc.). They finally got last week some (not all) of the permits they had requested. It is that lack of urgency on the part of the federal government that is thoroughly frustrating many of the local and state officials and delaying some of these projects.

DH and I have volunteered. We have a bird hospital three miles from our home and that's what we'll do. A few years ago we helped evacuate the hospital when we were under a hurricane watch (fortunately it didn't happen). The Pelicans were brought somewhere else, but other birds were taken in by volunteers. We had a blue heron in our bathtub for a day and a half.....he was better behaved that a lot of other guests we've had.

We also have a boat; didn't know about the 50 foot rule. Is that true in Florida also?

We live in Ft Walton Beach and actually are headed to Pcola to do some "local shopping". Not much we can do about the oil, but we can make a choice on where to spend our money. If you have a choice..........shop locally.

The Louisiana National Guard has been at work for weeks. Of course, not all are available.

100521-F-3197B-082%20-%20Copy.JPG

100518-F-2117V-276%20-%20Copy.jpg

100518-A-2398B-256%20-%20Copy.jpg

100514-A-0000X-001.jpg

http://www.la.ngb.army.mil/langb_site/homepage.html

Some videos here:

http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=video/video_show.php&id=86735

So far, BP hasn't funded the efforts in Louisiana, but Louisiana is moving forward:

A press release:

Governor Jindal: Glad President Came to LA; BP Has Sent Us Press Releases and Lawyers But Still No Money for Sand Booming Work

http://emergency.louisiana.gov/Releases/06042010-president.html

With or without funding, some things need approval by the Coast Guard and others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefly333 viewpost.gif

I had someone on CC call me "clueless" on another oil thread, and rather than engage them in useless conversation, I now have a ignore list of one person. :D

If someone has to resort to name calling or telling you not to talk to them, they probably aren't mature enough for adult conversation. Just let them go, people know better. This oil spill emotions seem to be running higher than normal.

It's ironic to me that a lot of the people that are hyperventilating about the spill are the ones who don't live in the path of the oil. I live 3 miles from the Gulf in AL and we have been having tar balls for over a week and some mousse washing up for a couple days now. The smell of the oil is in the air. Smells like kerosene. As seriously as we take it, we can't do a freakin thing about any of it.

I am the 'honored' one to be 'ignored' by the 'legend in her own mind' person. :D How silly to resort to that for a simple response.

Some of us are passionate about what's happening and what it is doing to the gulf, marine life, etc.. I don't think anyone realizes the huge impact this has on our environment. Say what you want about 'alarmists' and 'hyperventilating' but the situation is a monumental concern for those of us who do care.

New Orleans did have a Krewe of Dead Pelicans parade/protest yesterday:

http://photos.nola.com/4500/gallery/krewe_of_dead_pelicans/index.html

and also the Oyster Festival this weekend

http://www.neworleansoysterfestival.org/

"some locals are coming to Acme with the notion that the oysters may not be around for much longer, he said.

"It's almost that Last Supper mentality," he said

New Orleans Oyster Festival celebrated with urgency because of BP oil spill

http://www.nola.com/festivals/index.ssf/2010/06/new_orleans_oyster_festival_ce.html

We went to Panama City Beach yesterday to check it out for what may will be the last time we get to see it in it’s current pristine state and boy was it crowded. The water was beautiful but you could just tell something was different, kinda like it feels when a hurricane is coming, a feeling of helplessness.

We talked to several people along the beach and the oil was the topic of the whole beach. Most were disgusted with it and one mentioned that it’s a shame when the state of Florida doesn’t allow drilling off it’s coast yet we have to deal with this.

[quote=RVman;24715731. Most were disgusted with it and one mentioned that it’s a shame when the state of Florida doesn’t allow drilling off it’s coast yet we have to deal with this.

Yep. We don't allow it. But we're gonna get hammered anyway.:(

We talked to several people along the beach and the oil was the topic of the whole beach. Most were disgusted with it and one mentioned that it’s a shame when the state of Florida doesn’t allow drilling off it’s coast yet we have to deal with this.

America's addiction to oil, and energy in general, is not limited to states that produce oil. States that don't allow drilling certainly have no problem consuming oil. Seems rather hypocritical to me.

America's addiction to oil, and energy in general, is not limited to states that produce oil. States that don't allow drilling certainly have no problem consuming oil. Seems rather hypocritical to me.

Not when your number #1 industry is tourism, and that tourism depends on them beaches staying clean.

Some may find it rather hypocritical that you are bringing this up on a cruise forum where cruise ships average just 6 inches per every gallon of fuel :rolleyes:

Not when your number #1 industry is tourism, and that tourism depends on them beaches staying clean.

I don't know about Florida, but, AL and MS sent out crews to pick the beaches clean of EVERYTHING prior to the oil making landfall, and other than the oil blobs washing up periodically, I don't think the beaches have ever been cleaner.

Archived