oil has hit pensacola beach

jj1975

all so very sad, but what man makes, one expect it to break....now, just what exactly do you expect the president to do?

The best thing for the President to do now is actually to step out of the way and let the experts and the local officials do whatever is necessary to fight the oil. When the federal government sat on its hands and didn't give the state and local governments the permits that they needed to start building protective barriers a month ago, and the President didn't push those federal agencies to issue those permits ASAP, then the President and those federal agencies can and should be held responsible for the oil covering the wetlands and beaches now. It makes for great political soundbites to issue platitudes like "I care" and "I'm in charge and take full responsibility", but I have seen no sense of urgency on the part of the President or federal agencies in preventing the oil from reaching our shores. The Gulf Coast doesn't need any more quickie politically-expedient visits by the President every couple of weeks; we need real action in order to avert an even greater catastrophe. :mad:

*puts on flame retardant suit*

Let me preface this by saying that I am upset also by the situation.I live near the SC coast and grew up on a Coastal Georgia Island. My husband is in the restaurant business. One which sells seafood. This will affect a whole lotta people in a lot of ways, not to mention the wildlife.

However, there were,in the past few years, a whole buncha Americans screaming that we were too dependent on foreign oil. So we began to loosen standards so we could find American Oil. This is a risk that goes with that, no matter who is to blame.

In this situation nobody is in the right and no one should shoulder all the blame.

Just my unsolicited opinion.

I can't say I disagree with you, but ... this isn't the risk with finding American oil. This is the risk BP ran by not putting a harmonic shutoff valve on their rig. This, folks, is another excellent example of why you should never do important things on the cheap.

I can't say I disagree with you, but ... this isn't the risk with finding American oil. This is the risk BP ran by not putting a harmonic shutoff valve on their rig. This, folks, is another excellent example of why you should never do important things on the cheap.

You mean like taking a Carnival cruise on your honeymoon? :confused:

And I understand that. I truly do. I know there are also some questions as to the American Government Agency that approved it too.

You know that you have our thoughts and prayers from Canada - I use to bitch and complain about our -40 temps and 6 feet of snow - but no more. My heart goes out to you - for this oil gusher (not a spill - not a leak) a freaking gusher, hurricanes, tornados, flooding, draughts and all other freaks of nature you have going on. Please know that I am thinking of you and keep you in my prayers.

The "overbloated and inefficient" bureaucracy has NO CLUE how to stop the leak. And the fact that attempts to stop the flow have not been successful DOES NOT mean that BP is unwilling to do anything about it. They're not sitting around on their thumbs doing nothing. The numbers support the efforts they are making to fix a disastrous situation.

Sorry to say it seems the "oil industry" not just BP have been sitting around for quite some time twiddling their thumbs, its not like they don't have the money to create a safer method for drilling or even an emergency back out plan.

Here are picture of the sadness and loss from the oil spill...and it's just the beginning. :(

How incredibly beyond sad. This is a major disaster...don't want to see pictures of all of the dolphins and sea turtles that have been killed.

BP= PAY up... until you're bankrupt!

ss-100604-oil-update-jw-02.ss_full.jpg.011e3f20709b366950bb0ea3df3d3dbd.jpg

ss-100525-oil-spill-04.ss_full.jpg.eecb1e8dc7eefee7f0d757baa3828cc2.jpg

ss-100604-oilSpill-002.ss_full.jpg.14b1c9131aa4f3474c9b29f4e4104b8f.jpg

You bet!

Actually, we'll need BP to stay solvent for at least 10 years of more because that's how long the litigation and cleanup costs will continue, if not longer. Then you can will them into bankruptcy. :)

Actually, we'll need BP to stay solvent for at least 10 years of more because that's how long the litigation and cleanup costs will continue, if not longer. Then you can will them into bankruptcy. :)

You are 100% correct!

Robert Reich (economist former labor secretary for Bill Clinton) has suggested that the US govet put them into immediate receivership. Then they could direct the money and resources any way they deem appropriate.

Robert Reich (economist former labor secretary for Bill Clinton) has suggested that the US govet put them into immediate receivership. Then they could direct the money and resources any way they deem appropriate.

Oh yeah...just like Chrysler! :eek: shareholders, including pension funds will get pennies less on their $ than they would in a bankruptcy.

Oh, yeah, just what we need now, for BP to be taken over by organized crime.

Even after BP's stock has tanked, the market cap is still over $116 billion. They won't be going bankrupt. I don't expect the head idiot to be around for long and if the stock drops much more, I expect someone will buy them out - liabilities and all.

Even if you don't own any BP stock, you probably own stock in companies that do.

from near ground zero...

A crew of scientists who just returned from an eight-day mission researching the underwater oil impact of the spill has found life forms near the breached well head, officials with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Friday.

The researchers aboard the 224-foot Gordon Gunter found "ample evidence of a lot of zooplankton," said NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco. "It's not a dead zone. There's still a lot of life there."

Let me ask you a question you willing to eat the stuff that eats the stuff that eats the stuff that is living in or near the oil.

You do know test results from Polar bears, killer whales, and also what shows up in human tissue when one eats say tuna every day for a couple weeks. To be alive doesn't say "well" the whole damm ocean is getting poluted and because BP has been less than transparent we can only assume they have not disclosed the true volume of the spill and with the way ocean inversion works we are almost certain that the oil we see washing up on our shores is the only the tip of the iceberg of the oil.

Its a freaking disaster that is orders of magnitude larger then the Valdez was as that was a limited source but this one is well at the moment still going full bore :eek:

from near ground zero...

A crew of scientists who just returned from an eight-day mission researching the underwater oil impact of the spill has found life forms near the breached well head, officials with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Friday.

The researchers aboard the 224-foot Gordon Gunter found "ample evidence of a lot of zooplankton," said NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco. "It's not a dead zone. There's still a lot of life there."

market capitlization only represents what yesterday people were willing to pay for a piece of BP. If they are determined to be liable for 10's or hundreds of billions then what people are willing to pay for a piece of BPs sorry assetts and liabilities could evaporate. It would be more interesting to understand what the total book value of BPs is in terms of their property and oil reserves than their market value as a large portion of that is baked into their future revenue and dividend payments etc.

Even after BP's stock has tanked, the market cap is still over $116 billion. They won't be going bankrupt. I don't expect the head idiot to be around for long and if the stock drops much more, I expect someone will buy them out - liabilities and all.

Even if you don't own any BP stock, you probably own stock in companies that do.

Its a freaking disaster that is orders of magnitude larger then the Valdez was as that was a limited source but this one is well at the moment still going full bore :eek:

The amount of oil released is greater, but not by orders of magnitude. It is not as large as the oil spill in the Gulf in 1979-80 and won't be for months. The relief wells will be complete long before that. The world survived that oil spill and it will survive this one.

Nobody knows what the environmental impact will be when all is said and done, no need to be an alarmist.

I'm still waiting for someone to announce they are building an Ark and capturing pairs of animals to restock the planet.

market capitlization only represents what yesterday people were willing to pay for a piece of BP. If they are determined to be liable for 10's or hundreds of billions then what people are willing to pay for a piece of BPs sorry assetts and liabilities could evaporate. It would be more interesting to understand what the total book value of BPs is in terms of their property and oil reserves than their market value as a large portion of that is baked into their future revenue and dividend payments etc.

America's addiction to oil and energy in general isn't going anywhere. BP can generate cash faster than they can spend it.

Perhaps you should look into exactly what BP's assets consist of? BP stock is serious oversold and is currently trading higher on after hours markets.

As long as we are dependent on fossil fuels we will have drilling with risk of disaster. Refineries blow up natural gas plants catch on fire. People complain when gas is 5 dollars a gallon. We complain about BP then walk out to our car drive to the store.

BP didn't use a device that cost so much to buy and install. Do you think car manufacturers would put in air bags at a substatial cost if it were not required? Say what you want but they met all the government standards that were required. Until we start to use less fossil fuel and don't want to be paying high prices for foreign oil then we are all to blame.

I say quit the blame game and polital hearings and stop the leak. Worry about politics and getting lawyers rich once the leak has been stopped!!!

I love the coastlines of this country and I am sickened by this tragedy as I am sure you are as well! I pray daily that this massive leak can be stopped at once and the many years of cleanup can start to return our beautiful coastlines to their former beauty.

****Note to JJ****

I saw in your profile that you are work in a Southern Style BBQ restaurant.

Me too! I would be interested in talking to you about who and where.

I am up in Memphis.

Hit me back when you have time.

Thanks!

John

jaflowers68@yahoo.com

We'll there goes my weekend at the beach:(! I guess Killer Seafood in Mexico Beach will "earn" its name in another way now.

Even with no oil, it would be hard to find a place to lay out. It's one of the staging areas for the booms which by the way are in shortage. Franklin county is still waiting for theirs and they were promised Wednesday that they would be there by now. I think we have all seen they are all but useless anyways.

A friend of mine usually makes anywhere from 10-15 trips up North a week delivering seafood told me today that he had on ly one trip this week and then he had to convince them that it was safe to eat

Like he said who will want any shrimp out of the Gulf after this. This effects so many people

Pray!

albany_gulf-oil-spill.jpg

Archived