Excursions in Jamaica.

divingmedic

DW and DD are not fond of heights, so that leaves out Zip Lines and most likely climbing the falls. What would be a good excursion for us then? I know what we will do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. This is the only port that has left me stumped.

We "floated" (on bamboo rafts built for two) down the river. It was very tame and beautiful.

Our special needs son was even able to do it. It was a Carnival excursion.

I did a the Carnival Jeep Safari. The tour guide drove to the top of the mountains, we stopped at a house and spoke with a lady who gave us some history of Jamaica, and also stopped at a coffee farm and spoke with a coffee farmer..For the majority of the tour you are sitting in a Jeep...However, we did stop at different points to take pictures of the breath taking views.

The excursion did stop at the falls, but there is a staircase along the side so you actually don't have to climb it if you don't want. We were only at the falls for about an hours or so..The majority of the excursion was the driving through the mountains.

Have a good trip!

We did the Carnival sponsored ATV excursion. We had lots of fun, got to see part of the countryside not available by road. Went through several small "villages", and that was an eyeopener! We rode through an old sugarcane plantation also. It was very beautiful scenery, and we had 2 guides with us, so never felt unsafe.

I am terrified of heights ( my legs just will not even work ); but I loved ziplining in Jamaica.

As far as Dunn River Falls, there is no height involved. The falls are not straight up, more like a slopping hill that you walk up holding each others hands in a line because you are walking up rocks and some are slippery. I enjoyed this too, but feel no need to do it again.

Ziplining, I will do next chance I get.

J:)Y

We did the Cool Runnings Catamaran to Dunns Falls and it was lots of fun. We chose to not climb the falls, but you can walk the steps on the side and get in the water at different places. It was very pretty and the catamaran ride was great. I agree with the poster that said heights are not really a factor at the falls. You might really love it.

Without a doubt, Phil Lafayette is the best tour guide in Ocho Rios. Check him out online. I think he is still listed in Trip Advisor. Phil will not only be your guide but will watch out for you and the family. He can take you to the Falls and tubing if you want. We only did the Falls and then he drove us around to sightsee. Good luck.

We booked the Bamboo Beach excursion thru Carniver for $60.00 pp. They drive you from the pier to the beach (10 min) you have a person who takes care of you the entire time. There are chairs, loungers, towels are provided, all inclusive drinks (mojitos, rum punch, beer) and food, jerk chicken, sausage (very good) cinnamon bread dessert, noodles/jamaican gravy. There are dancers every few minutes, they also like for you to join in, and music played the entire time (4 hrs.)

The beach is nice and you feel very safe there. You can shower before getting back on the bus. They will drop you off at Tajmahal to shop, you have about 45 min. before you need to reboard the ship. Here are a few pics:

232323232%7Ffp5324%3A%3Enu%3D3%3A%3B8%3E534%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3253%3A6547332%3Bnu0mrj

This is at one end

232323232%7Ffp53256%3Enu%3D3%3A%3B8%3E534%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3253%3A6549732%3Bnu0mrj

This is one of the dancers

232323232%7Ffp53276%3Enu%3D3%3A%3B8%3E534%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3253%3A6644%3A32%3Bnu0mrj

This is one of the girls that help you and that is a coconut rum drink, be very careful, they are strong, 150 proof.

232323232%7Ffp53248%3Enu%3D3%3A%3B8%3E534%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3253%3A6645232%3Bnu0mrj

Another entertainer

232323232%7Ffp53259%3Enu%3D3%3A%3B8%3E534%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3253%3A6645732%3Bnu0mrj

Other end of beach, less rocky

232323232%7Ffp53258%3Enu%3D3%3A%3B8%3E534%3E23%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D3253%3A6546632%3Bnu0mrj

Don't forget to try a Bob Marley shot at the bar! Very good, cool to watch him make. One of those was flamin' on top.

Happy Sailing,

Lisa

Without a doubt, Phil Lafayette is the best tour guide in Ocho Rios. Check him out online. I think he is still listed in Trip Advisor. Phil will not only be your guide but will watch out for you and the family. He can take you to the Falls and tubing if you want. We only did the Falls and then he drove us around to sightsee. Good luck.

I'll put in a second rah-rah for Phil. We booked him (as did several other Cruise Critic members) and had a wonderful day! We went tubing, climbed DRF (no height issues, as described by a PP), and did a little sightseeing. He then dropped us off at the little mall by the port. We felt safe and had a great time with Phil--he's quite a character. :)

We "floated" (on bamboo rafts built for two) down the river. It was very tame and beautiful.

Our special needs son was even able to do it. It was a Carnival excursion.

Do they allow three on those? If not, one of us will be solo. That would not be very much fun.

Click The link in my sig and read about the zipline in Jamaica. Yo might change your mind ;)

I have no problems with heights. It is my wife and daughter that do. I spent 7 years flying in helicopters in the military and had many a trip up and down the hoist, sometimes close to a 1k feet off the ground.

I'll put in my two cents for Peat Taylor Tours....in a word---wonderful. He'll customize whichever tour your would like. We did Dunn's River Falls, River Tubing and the Blue Hole for only $65 each. I highly recommend him. Avoided all the cruise ship crowds. He's great. Read his reviews on Trip Advisor.

DW and DD are not fond of heights, so that leaves out Zip Lines and most likely climbing the falls. What would be a good excursion for us then? I know what we will do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. This is the only port that has left me stumped.

The first time DW and I visited Montego Bay we did Dunns River Falls and did Montego Highlights and Shopping on our second visit to Montego Bay. The highlights excursion allowed us to see and take pictures of different parts of the city.

Archived