Medivac from Dream

taffy12

I was on the 5/29 sailing, and on the last night of the cruise we had a passenger evacuated by helicopter for a medical emergency. I heard rumors of apendicitis, but know nothing more. Does anyone know what happened and if the passenger is ok?

I was on the 5/29 sailing, and on the last night of the cruise we had a passenger evacuated by helicopter for a medical emergency. I heard rumors of apendicitis, but know nothing more. Does anyone know what happened and if the passenger is ok?

I think it is one of those things we do not need to know - they were Medivaced and hope and wish them the best. We are going to have all those posters who are going to say - they drank too much - it was attempted suicide - spousal abuse - food poisoning - etc etc - should probably need to leave well enough alone.

these post always make me smile.....odd yes but here's why! My husband is a Medivac Pilot and people will BURN up my phone if he lands anywhere near their house asking me WHAT HAPPENED! I guess people are just nosey squirrel's :D

I do have a question about medical evacuations: Are they becoming more common? I almost started a thread about this topic because it seems like I'm hearing of more and more of these situations.

We have been on 6 cruises (not a lot!), but never have we had to stop due to medical evacuations. On the Dream May 22-May 29, we stopped twice for medical evacs.

For those of you that cruise a lot, is it your experience that medical evacuations are common?

I think it's just natural curiosity. I once came upon a bad accident on the Interstate right after it happened, and provided a blanket and bottled water (all I had at the time). The lady's purse was left behind, so I retrieved it and turned it in to the local Police Station, asking if the lady was OK. Nothing. Nada. It's just human curiosity, especially if you've seen the person involved.

I do have a question about medical evacuations: Are they becoming more common? I almost started a thread about this topic because it seems like I'm hearing of more and more of these situations.

We have been on 6 cruises (not a lot!), but never have we had to stop due to medical evacuations. On the Dream May 22-May 29, we stopped twice for medical evacs.

For those of you that cruise a lot, is it your experience that medical evacuations are common?

We have been on 30+ cruises and NO Medivac until last year @ Castaway Cay, Disney's Priviate Island.

It just might be that some people with chronic medical issues are taking cruises. There is a multitude of reasons one might get flown off the ship. All I know on our cruise, I will run the other way if I see this happening. In nearly 30 years of Ems I am there to get away from that. I want my liver to hurt to when I get off the ship:rolleyes:

these post always make me smile.....odd yes but here's why! My husband is a Medivac Pilot and people will BURN up my phone if he lands anywhere near their house asking me WHAT HAPPENED! I guess people are just nosey squirrel's :D

I was a flight medic in the USAF for 7 years. 900 hours flying in medivac helicopters. Rubberneckers always irk me.

I was a flight medic in the USAF for 7 years. 900 hours flying in medivac helicopters. Rubberneckers always irk me.

DH has been flying Medivac here in Central VA for 15years, it is funny how people will try to walk up to a "scene" when they see the helicopter. DH has been flying for 40+ years.....started in the Army, he flew AH1G Cobra's in Vietnam :D

I think it's awesome that you both have served in this capacity.

Our closest friends are both flight nurses, and I admire them both so much--I could never do that (I am probably the biggest needle-phobe ever!). I never have a desire to look, mostly I whisper a prayer for them and hope for the best.

I couldn't believe that we had 2 situations within 6 days!

I think the reason for all the medivacs now days are that more people are cruising now days that are more apt to put them selves in risky situations (on RCCL we saw some one fall from the rock wall and they didn't catch him fast enough...he broke his collar bone) and the normal med crew on the ship can't treat every thing. I find that with the cost of a cruise more people also are willing to get on board not "feeling" well or those of have preexiting conditions cruise more now.

I think the reason for all the medivacs now days are that more people are cruising now days that are more apt to put them selves in risky situations (on RCCL we saw some one fall from the rock wall and they didn't catch him fast enough...he broke his collar bone) and the normal med crew on the ship can't treat every thing. I find that with the cost of a cruise more people also are willing to get on board not "feeling" well or those of have preexiting conditions cruise more now.

I think you and divingmedic may have hit the nail on the head on this one.

Where in Kansas are you from?

This is in response to questions about medical evacuations and are they happening more frequently. I was just on Carnival Glory in May and there were two emergency evacuations by helicopter. One was the first night and another the 2nd night. Day 4 (St. Thomas), there was an ambulance waiting, lights on, outside the gang plank when we were getting off the ship. In reading a review on Carnival's website by another passenger on the cruise I was on, the writer mentioned that in addition to these three medical emergencies, there were two more ambulances in St. Thomas and two the next day, in San Juan, removing passengers. I don't know about these other 4 ambulances, as I did not see those or hear anything about them until reading the review after the cruise. The writer of that review just mentioned them as he/she highly recommended travel insurance. This was our 4th cruise, but the first we've ever had anything like this happen (that we know of). As for the OP, yes, we were all curious as to what happened and I think that is only natural. There was definitely speculation, some of which later proved to be false. Being on a ship, especially if it's far from a port & the type of urgent care someone may need, the best bet is evacuation by a helicopter. Our main feeling was to keep the people affected (person having the emergency, family & friends) in thoughts & prayers. If any of you who were affected are reading this, I really hope all is well for you & I really hope you get to make up your cruise.

I've been on 20 Carnival cruises and only had 1 med evac. an elderly lady fell in the shower the 1st night and broke her leg. She reboarded the ship in Grand Cayman.

We also were on a ship once (the Glory) that went to assist with an at sea rescue of a capsized yacht off of Haiti.

There were 4 people in the water but just about the time we came within distance to lower our boat the coast guard helecopter showed up. But it was a cool rescue to watch. The ship stayed there until all were on board the helicopter then they flew over the ship and did a 360 before heading for land.

Archived