Hemmingway Days

gatour

We have a week long stay booked for July. When I booked the hotel back in July I found it odd that there was price jump starting on Thursday, but didn't think to much of it.

Finally poked around and found out that Hemmingway days is occurring while we are there. Does Key West get crazy crowded? Is it hard to get into restaurants etc? I am sure Sloppy Joe's plays it to the hilt, but how big is it? It just is happenstance that we picked that week to go down to Key West.

We have a week long stay booked for July. When I booked the hotel back in July I found it odd that there was price jump starting on Thursday, but didn't think to much of it.

Finally poked around and found out that Hemmingway days is occurring while we are there. Does Key West get crazy crowded? Is it hard to get into restaurants etc? I am sure Sloppy Joe's plays it to the hilt, but how big is it? It just is happenstance that we picked that week to go down to Key West.

I go down to Key West every year for Hemingway Days and it's a great time. Sloppy Joes gets crowded during rounds of the look-a-like contest, but you can still get into the place, especially around the corner in the Green Street entrance where the Papa Wannabees hang out. And me. Towards the end of the week there is a street fair where they block off a part of Duval and have a street fair, and when a new winner is chosen, there is the running of the (cardboard) bulls around the block. Bring a white shirt at a red kneckerchief ala Pamplona.

You should feel lucky you hit it instead of worrying. Schedule is here...

http://www.sloppyjoes.com/lookalikes.htm

177520904_2qG9Q-M.jpg

Pjk, member of the Hem Look-a-Like Society

It is not that crowded unless you are in the area from about Fleming St. down to Mallory Square as most of the activities are in that area.

Never had a problem getting into a restaurant or other venues during that time but I steer away from the area of lower Duval.

Mike:)

Thanks for the info. I was just worried about Key West being "packed". We may join in some of the festivities, but are not in the mood for wall to wall crowds.

We are staying at the Crown Plaza, which seems to be at the edge, and will be driving down so we have some options.

Thanks for the info. I was just worried about Key West being "packed". We may join in some of the festivities, but are not in the mood for wall to wall crowds.

We are staying at the Crown Plaza, which seems to be at the edge, and will be driving down so we have some options.

When Hemingway lived in Key West in the 30's he would invite what he called "The Mob" down to visit - John Dos Passos and his wife, his editor Max Perkins, etc. He would put them up at the Crown Plaza La Concha where the rooms were $1.00 / night. They would go up to the roof-top bar to listen and dance to the Cuban band there. You can still go up there, get a drink, and watch the sunset.

Pjk

• 4 weeks later...

Alas the rooms are no longer $1 a night but they seemed reasonably priced. Definitely will make use of the roof top bar.

Finishing up 3 major projects at work, so am counting down the days to my vacation.

Archived