shellfish allergy

airhose

Our friends would like to try a Celebrity cruise (especially after hearing about ours :)), but she has a major allergy to shellfish. She can't even be in the same room as it, so obviously the dining room and buffet would be out for her. Is room service a viable option? This would only be okay IF her food was prepared on a separate surface, with no possibility of cross-contamination. They would certainly let guest relations know in advance of her situation. Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.

Susan

Our friends would like to try a Celebrity cruise (especially after hearing about ours :)), but she has a major allergy to shellfish. She can't even be in the same room as it, so obviously the dining room and buffet would be out for her. Is room service a viable option? This would only be okay IF her food was prepared on a separate surface, with no possibility of cross-contamination. They would certainly let guest relations know in advance of her situation. Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.

Susan

Why would the dining room be out? I live on the water, have been on several cruises, and never had an issue. The chef and staff take these things very seriously as they do not want an episode on board.

I think she will be fine if she makes her issue known. Most lines are happy to accommodate you.

Being smart about fried foods, sauces, or Asian food is smart in that many use shellfish components (such as oyster sauce or freeze-dried shrimp, think Pad Thai) in them or share a deep fry basket.

oooohhhh....it can be freaky. I have an aversion to scallops. If even catch a scent of them I can lose it. I can eat all kinds of other shellfish for the most part though. I thought I was over it for a good spell but I found out I was not. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Sounds like she'd need something akin to a kosher preparation, and I don't think any cruise line can accommodate that, especially a mass market line. And I don't think it's something anyone should expect a cruise line to do when they have to serve so many meals in the first place. I don't think there would be a way for a special, non-shellfish contaminated area to be found, as there will always be some kind in the area of preparation. Remember, there are a lot of variables when it comes to shellfish, and not just the critters themselves. There would be a lot of places she cannot go to, so I don't think this cruise would be possible, seeing that she can't even be in the same room as any kind of shellfish. I know a friend who always orders her Bloody Mary with shrimp instead of olives. Does she go to any restaurants? If so, how does she handle that? Unless it's a vegan restaurant, she's always in some kind of proximity to shellfish.

Hi,:) lots of folks have allergies. If you look at the Celebrity Website

there is a number you can call for special dietery needs. They would

be the ones to get in touch with first. Did you book through a

Travel Agent? If so, let them call on your behalf.

I also wonder why they would opt out of the dining room. Lots of

folks who have allergies, special diets, etc. eat there.:)

But yes, if they prefer room service it is available too.

Sounds like she'd need something akin to a kosher preparation, and I don't think any cruise line can accommodate that, especially a mass market line. And I don't think it's something anyone should expect a cruise line to do when they have to serve so many meals in the first place. I don't think there would be a way for a special, non-shellfish contaminated area to be found, as there will always be some kind in the area of preparation. Remember, there are a lot of variables when it comes to shellfish, and not just the critters themselves. There would be a lot of places she cannot go to, so I don't think this cruise would be possible, seeing that she can't even be in the same room as any kind of shellfish. I know a friend who always orders her Bloody Mary with shrimp instead of olives. Does she go to any restaurants? If so, how does she handle that? Unless it's a vegan restaurant, she's always in some kind of proximity to shellfish.

Darcie, surprised to read this.....I thought the lines are always try

accomadate special dietery needs. Every galley tour I have been

on shows a special area on a bulletin board for these things.

I have reactions to shellfish and even though I did not let the line know about it beforehand (it was Celebrity), I was fine as long as when you order, you make your affliction known. If you are scared about taking that chance, just call ahead and let them know. I've never had a problem. FYI: my reaction is enough to send me to the hospital to get them to help me breathe so I'm very careful when I travel.

I have a shellfish allergy and I found the staff on Celebrity to be very accomodating to me. At the buffet one day I wanted pasta of course one of the options to add to the pasta was shrimp. When I told the fellow making the pasta I had a shell fish allergy he immediately went to the kitchen brought out a clean pan and utensils and cooked my order. At an afternoon tea there was some crab or something served; again when they were made aware of my allergy they went and made up a special tray for me.

The smell doesn't bother me; but if that is a problem maybe calling ahead and see what they could do for you as far as sitting in the diningroom. I would at least call and see what could be arranged.

Darcie, surprised to read this.....I thought the lines are always try

accomadate special dietery needs. Every galley tour I have been

on shows a special area on a bulletin board for these things.

Lois, they do try and accommodate special dietary needs, but if the OP's friend cannot even be in a room where shellfish is served, how can her needs be accommodated? If she's next to a table in the MDR, and there's crab or shrimp being served, will she get sick? If there's shellfish salad or soup in the buffet, would she have to refrain from going into the buffet? There's a lot of shellfish items served every day in the buffet, from the seafood salads to the stir fry and the sushi, also in the buffet. It's a different thing when you're allergic by ingesting the food item, but it's a whole different story when you can't even be in a room with the allergen.

All they can do is ask and see if all her meals can be prepared in a totally clean environment, and then have the meals served in her cabin. Like I said, if she can't be in a room where shellfish is served, that might be her only choice and she'd have to avoid the buffet and MDR at all costs.

Archived