What to wear to dinner??

Travel_Maven

We will be on a Princess cruise in two weeks after spending 5 days inland. I have read plenty of threads on what to wear around Alaska (layers) and what to wear on formal nights (cocktail, not necessarily "formal"). I still haven't read anything on what to wear to regular dining room dinners. I am used to packing for caribbean cruises but I'm curious to know what the norm is for Alaska cruises. Are fashion jeans appropriate (not grubby jeans) or do I need dress pants? I'm trying not to over-pack because we will be on our on while inland. Thanks for the advice!

There has been a lot of debate recently about whether nice jeans are appropriate for the dining room at night, so you are going to hear both opinions strongly expressed.

I'll just say that you will see lots of jeans in the dining room in Alaska.

I wore capris or black pants on most nights with cute, trendy top or evening type sweater with sequins or something. And to make it easier to pack I wore sandals to dinner each and every night. I believe I took two pair of sandals for dinners.

We had two formal nights and I took one black skirt and two sparkly tops.

I have never worn jeans in the dining room for dinner and am not planning to on our upcoming cruise either. Although I wouldn't rule it out completely in the future. Thinking about it now, I have some really cute white denim jeans with rhinestones down each leg which could work...so I may end up wearing these - stranger things have been known to happen.

The rule about jeans in the dining room is meant to keep torn jeans, baggy jeans, faded jeans, cutoff jeans and all the various obnoxious varieties of jeans out.

Nice, clean, well fitting jeans with a suitable shirt, and especially fancy jeans meant for dress, will not be a problem.

We're on the Radiance, but I'm thinking it will be the same--more informal in Alaska than the Caribbean cruises? We always cruise the Caribbean so I'm having an issue with what to pack as well, and thinking I need so many heavier items that I'm not sure how I'll get it all in one suitcase.

We're on the Radiance, but I'm thinking it will be the same--more informal in Alaska than the Caribbean cruises? We always cruise the Caribbean so I'm having an issue with what to pack as well, and thinking I need so many heavier items that I'm not sure how I'll get it all in one suitcase.

Exactly! And we have to lug the bags around inland for a week before we even board the ship. :eek:

One thing that is nice about Princess is that they have washers & dryers for your use. When we were on our B2B cruise last summer it was not a problem to wash some of my clothes to save on luggage room.

On the non-formal nights my husband and I just dressed like we were going to a nice restaurant. My husband wore slacks with polo type shirts and I wore a pair of black slacks with a nice blouse that I would wear to work. Nice jeans in the dining room will not be a problem. :)

Happy Cruising!:)

I'm also on a Radiance 12-day cruisetour and packing for such a long trip with casual layers plus formal + dressy is a challange. I had decided months ago to take cream silk pants (I don't do black as I am extremely fair) plus a pair of navy with white dot rayon pants---both kind of loose and flowy. I have worried and worried that the tops I'm planning will not be dressy enough. But I have now decided that is what I'm doing. Two different colored silky, sleeveless kind of long tops with matching shrugs for formal nights and a short-sleeved summer navy sweater plus short sleeved white summer sweater with the dotted pants for 2 other nights. I have not decided on shoes, but hope to wear the same shoes with all 4 outfits. Figure I will wear capris with just any old tops the other nights. However, I can see us coming back from an excursion hungry and tired and might just go to the buffet in what we have on aka jeans or sweats.

We will be on a Princess cruise in two weeks after spending 5 days inland. I have read plenty of threads on what to wear around Alaska (layers) and what to wear on formal nights (cocktail, not necessarily "formal"). I still haven't read anything on what to wear to regular dining room dinners. I am used to packing for caribbean cruises but I'm curious to know what the norm is for Alaska cruises. Are fashion jeans appropriate (not grubby jeans) or do I need dress pants? I'm trying not to over-pack because we will be on our on while inland. Thanks for the advice!

Here is a quote directly from Princess "Question Answer Place" on their website:

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

I think that this will help you.

We just returned on Saturday (6-12-10) from our cruise - Whittier to Vancouver on Coral Princess. I packed way too much. The washer & Dryer is only $1 for each. Next time I will pack for half the trip and then do laundry. We did a load the evening we were in the last port and didn't have to wait for a washer or dryer.

For formal evenings I wore long wide leg black pants and a sparkly top and for the second formal night wore a sundress with a sweater. I never felt under dressed. My husband wore dress pants, long sleeve dress shirt and a sports coat, no tie. Lots of men were coming in the dining room in long sleeved shirts and ties with no jacket.

The other evenings I wore black slacks with nice tops and he wore nice jeans and a long sleeve button up shirt. There was lots of people with jeans on including women.

I think you should wear what you are most comfortable in, and jeans are definately appropriate as long as they are in good shape.

We just returned on Saturday (6-12-10) from our cruise - Whittier to Vancouver on Coral Princess. I packed way too much. The washer & Dryer is only $1 for each. Next time I will pack for half the trip and then do laundry. We did a load the evening we were in the last port and didn't have to wait for a washer or dryer.

For formal evenings I wore long wide leg black pants and a sparkly top and for the second formal night wore a sundress with a sweater. I never felt under dressed. My husband wore dress pants, long sleeve dress shirt and a sports coat, no tie. Lots of men were coming in the dining room in long sleeved shirts and ties with no jacket.

The other evenings I wore black slacks with nice tops and he wore nice jeans and a long sleeve button up shirt. There was lots of people with jeans on including women.

I think you should wear what you are most comfortable in, and jeans are definately appropriate as long as they are in good shape.

Thanks! Good to hear from someone who was just there and on a Princess Ship!

• 3 weeks later...

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Well, Alaskans and especially Fairbanksans tend to dress down -

FAIRBANKS — A Fairbanks man told Alaska State Troopers that he believed he was slipped a drug Wednesday, which allegedly led him to walk around the Denali National Park area naked and threaten a man with two fire extinguishers.

A security guard spotted a man who was “naked at times” carrying two fire extinguishers and causing a disturbance just before midnight Wednesday at the Denali Princess Lodge.

Read more: Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Naked Fairbanks man causes ruckus in hotel Denali National Park

Well, I just returned from our trip on July 2. I was highly disappointed at much of what I saw in the dining rooms, especially on formal nights. I didn't feel I was overdressed for formal nights at all. I wore the same black cocktail pants and two different dressy tops. On the other nights I wore black cropped pants and casual sweaters and white ankle jeans with a sweater. I felt appropriately dressed each night. Unfortunately I saw tattered and torn jeans with t-shirts on too many people each night. While my husband and I were waiting to be seated on the 2nd formal night, a whole group of people in extremely casual clothing were waiting right in front of us. We couldn't believe it! We did have anytime seating. Is that why people tended to be so casually or was it just Alaska? :confused: I was prepared to see some things that were more casual, but not nearly as many as we did.

Well, I just returned from our trip on July 2. I was highly disappointed at much of what I saw in the dining rooms, especially on formal nights. I didn't feel I was overdressed for formal nights at all. I wore the same black cocktail pants and two different dressy tops. On the other nights I wore black cropped pants and casual sweaters and white ankle jeans with a sweater. I felt appropriately dressed each night. Unfortunately I saw tattered and torn jeans with t-shirts on too many people each night. While my husband and I were waiting to be seated on the 2nd formal night, a whole group of people in extremely casual clothing were waiting right in front of us. We couldn't believe it! We did have anytime seating. Is that why people tended to be so casually or was it just Alaska? :confused: I was prepared to see some things that were more casual, but not nearly as many as we did.

I do know that sometimes (although there's no excuse with anytime dining) the excursions get back so late that you have to chose between eating or dressing up. I am one of those that could care less what people are wearing as they are on vacation and should do as they please.

Formal nights tend to be the ones where the really good stuff like lobster is served, so I know it's hard to miss those dinners or eat in the Lido.

The rule about jeans in the dining room is meant to keep torn jeans, baggy jeans, faded jeans, cutoff jeans and all the various obnoxious varieties of jeans out.

Nice, clean, well fitting jeans with a suitable shirt, and especially fancy jeans meant for dress, will not be a problem.

that's good to know. thanks.

I'm struggling with this dinner-wear thing, too! It's summer... we usually vacation in warm weather places, but this is a cool weather place in the summer! So in the evenings do you wear summer type clothes & colors - white linen pants & bright, summery tops, sandals and take along a sweater? Or do you wear more cool weather clothes - black slacks & sweaters or long sleeved tops and close toed shoes??? If you wear the summery clothes will you be warm enough? Will they look weird or out of place if it's 40 degrees outside?

I'm struggling with this dinner-wear thing, too! It's summer... we usually vacation in warm weather places, but this is a cool weather place in the summer! So in the evenings do you wear summer type clothes & colors - white linen pants & bright, summery tops, sandals and take along a sweater? Or do you wear more cool weather clothes - black slacks & sweaters or long sleeved tops and close toed shoes??? If you wear the summery clothes will you be warm enough? Will they look weird or out of place if it's 40 degrees outside?

I had a hard time with this before my Alaska cruise as well. I brought way too many clothes because I was not sure what to bring. Next time I will know.

Alaska is casual, even though cruise ships normally are not. Bright, Caribbean wear is out of place, but not summer clothes. Evenings on the ship are cool, especially outside. White linen pants with a long sleeved top or sweater, open or closed toed shoes would work. Nice jeans with a nice sweater or top, and nice shoes were also okay. Clothes had a more "rugged outdoor" look rather than a "tropical" look, if you know what I mean. And by "rugged" look I don't mean raggity, but out door nice.

Have a great time.

Just got back from roundtrip on the Princess Sapphire out of Sattle.

Was more formal and less formal if that makes sense.

I was surpised that ~ 80% adult males were coat/tie with companion similarily dressed. I did NOT see a single tux on the two formal nights. Kids ran the gamut from coat and tie to most in collared shirt and tie with girls/ladies better than their brothers :D I ate early but on exiting the dining room and wandering the packed shipped with everyone in formal wear didn't see anything that changed that impression.

On casual nights in the dining room saw man many jeans and mostly collared shirts for the adults with the companions similarily dressed. The kids were much more casual with most in jeans and nice top for the most part. As nice as the weather was didn't see any shorts or "flip flops" in the dining room ;)

I hear you! Raggity should be worn for yard work! Thanks for you post - it helps! So does that mean DH & DS can get away with navy sport coat and slacks on formal nights, or do they need dark suits? They both have a tux, but... really.

LOL -- I always take my tux! ... really!

My wife says a man looks so good in a tux. How can I turn that down? And it is a great opportunity to get a wonderful formal picture taken.

They will be in the minority but so what. Being the best dressed in the crowd is a lot better than being the worst dressed!

;o)

I don't own a tux, so I always rent one from the cruiseline. $100 isn't that much when you factor in the cost of the cruise. :rolleyes: Plus, I don't have to worry about packing a coat and tie (thereby leaving more room for DW's shoes ;)), and I don't have the additional cost :eek: of having the coat and pants pressed after unpacking. A win/win for both of us. :)

After sailing Celebrity in May, I was very surprised at the number of guys who wore baseball caps 24/7 on the Coral Princess last month, including in the formal dining room. Some people should stick to ferries. I don't have a tux but last year bought 2 new suits, one a dark one specifically for formal nights on the ships (DW talked me out of a tux! :( ).

Archived