Having HAL Give Us A Bottles of 3 Bottles Of Wine?

LFM

If HAL has given you a complimentary of wine -- even if your TA or a friend sends you a bottle of wine / champgane -- and you take it to the dining room or a lounge -- there is no corkage fee.

The corkage fee only applies to bottles of wine that you bring onto the ship. There is onlly 1 corkage fee per bottle. So if you do not finish the bottle the first night -- your wine steward will cork it for you and save it for you for the following evening -- and there will not be a second corkage fee for this same bottle.

If you don't want the wine you were given, you have some choices. You can turn it in for a different wine (paying the difference, if there is one), turn it in for cocktail credit, or turn it in for on-board credit.

I've turned bottles in for credit toward my cocktails without a problem.

Do we have to pay for a corking or re-corking of their wine, or is it simply a comp?

The purpose of the corkage fee is so that HAL gets some $$$ when people are drinking wine purchased off the ship instead of paying for and drinking HAL wine. Any wine purchased by you on the ship as a gift to you through the ship HAL has already been paid for so there is no fee. And of course wine given to you by HAL is a gift from HAL so you are not going to pay for them to open it. This seems confusing to some people and I don't know why.

I am starting to plan for my August Maasdam cruise and can't wait. This cruise we will be bringing our own wine. Since the corkage fee includes the wine stewart opening the bottle and recorking if we don't finish a bottle at dinner, do you pay the fee if you bring in a screwtop bottle too and then take the bottle back to your room. I guess so, huh?

I am starting to plan for my August Maasdam cruise and can't wait. This cruise we will be bringing our own wine. Since the corkage fee includes the wine stewart opening the bottle and recorking if we don't finish a bottle at dinner' date=' do you pay the fee if you bring in a screwtop bottle too and then take the bottle back to your room. I guess so, huh?[/quote']

You guessed right.

If you take a bottle to dinner and don't finish it, MDR staff can store it for to enjoy with a future meal there.

So if I order wine from Ships services to be in my cabin when I arrive there is NO corkage fee..How can they tell which wine has been purchased from them and which wine was brought on..Are the wines available for purchase on the ship exclusive to HAL, I have never purchased wine in the USA so I don't know what is available in the wine stores..I will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale, is it less expensive to purchase your wine on land..I would think so.

So if I order wine from Ships services to be in my cabin when I arrive there is NO corkage fee..How can they tell which wine has been purchased from them and which wine was brought on..

Your wine steward knows which wine was purchased from the ship because he fills your order and has a record of what you bought through HAL

So if I order wine from Ships services to be in my cabin when I arrive there is NO corkage fee..How can they tell which wine has been purchased from them and which wine was brought on..Are the wines available for purchase on the ship exclusive to HAL, I have never purchased wine in the USA so I don't know what is available in the wine stores..I will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale, is it less expensive to purchase your wine on land..I would think so.

To be honest, I have found it cheaper to buy HAl's wine. You have to remember you are going to buy a bottle and then pay a corkage fee if you are bringing your own. so unless you are buying a cheap bottle (and then is it worth it to pay the corkage fee?), it works out cheaper to do Hal's

You can also use the wine cards (while they still exist) or I find the wine packages the best deal (especially once you hit the 3 star mariner status).

the wines are very good and you can choose.

Hal knows what bottles of wine they carry on board. I suspect the labels are even a bit different. I have had no problem using my gifts in the MDR.

hope this helps

I guess the play on the word "gift" to mean whether it a gift from someone before boarding and received and brought on the board or receiving after boarding would make a difference. The gift bottle in order to not be charged would have to be purchased as a gift from Hal. This is not meant to argue but to be clear to me in case I find someone to give me a gift bottle.

I guess the play on the word "gift" to mean whether it a gift from someone before boarding and received and brought on the board or receiving after boarding would make a difference. The gift bottle in order to not be charged would have to be purchased as a gift from Hal. This is not meant to argue but to be clear to me in case I find someone to give me a gift bottle.

absolutely correct. In order not to pay a corkage fee, all the wine has to be purchased from Hal, whether you do it or someone buys it for you as a gift. all must come from HAL.

Archived