Photo ID used at Cape Liberty, Bayonne, NJ ??

BEARFACE

I'm looking for input traveling through Cape Liberty, NJ, boarding the Celebrity Summit, has anyone used a photo ID with birth certificate recently.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Laura

You do not need a passport on a closed loop cruise: leaving and returning to the same US port. Highly recommended, but not legally required. You can travel with your original or certified copy of your birth certificate and government-issued picture ID. People are doing it every day with no problems. A married woman should also bring her marriage license if her name is different from the birth cert.

Unfortunately, you need a passport to reenter the USA. You, on the otherhand, can use a photo ID along with your seapass card to board the ship in Bermuda each time you leave to go on Bermuda.
The answer above is incorrect.

You do not need a passport on a closed loop cruise: leaving and returning to the same US port. Highly recommended, but not legally required. You can travel with your original or certified copy of your birth certificate and government-issued picture ID. People are doing it every day with no problems. A married woman should also bring her marriage license if her name is different from the birth cert.
This is correct.

Appreciate the replies here, thank you!! Still would love to hear from someone who recently embarked on the Summit out of the Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ pier with a picture ID and birth certificate without a problem.

I have friends who are interested in joining us next year but one of them cannot get a passport, they would only have that picture ID and birth certificate.

Thanks

Appreciate the replies here, thank you!! Still would love to hear from someone who recently embarked on the Summit out of the Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ pier with a picture ID and birth certificate without a problem.

I have friends who are interested in joining us next year but one of them cannot get a passport, they would only have that picture ID and birth certificate.

Thanks

If you look at this document from Celebrity, you'll see the birth certificate/photo ID combination as "Option 2" for US citizens on closed loop cruises:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/travel_documents/Passport_And_Visa_Information_06-01-09.pdf

And here's the official word on the closed loop exception from US Customs and Border Protection:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

If you look at this document from Celebrity, you'll see the birth certificate/photo ID combination as "Option 2" for US citizens on closed loop cruises:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/travel_documents/Passport_And_Visa_Information_06-01-09.pdf

And here's the official word on the closed loop exception from US Customs and Border Protection:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Thank you NJHorseman, I have seen you around before and value your input, thank you very much for the info.

You're welcome.

Now lets hope these rules stay in effect for our friends by the time we cruise next May, 2011. It would be a shame if they paid their final balance for the cruise next year and then the laws changed, hope not.

Thanks again

Now lets hope these rules stay in effect for our friends by the time we cruise next May, 2011. It would be a shame if they paid their final balance for the cruise next year and then the laws changed, hope not.

Thanks again

There are no changes pending right now, and it took years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks for the current procedures to be put in place, so chances are the current requirements will stay in place for the next year.

There are no changes pending right now, and it took years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks for the current procedures to be put in place, so chances are the current requirements will stay in place for the next year.

Thanks again for your informative and postive attitude, you are an asset to these boards:)

Thanks

Every one CAN get a passport. I've never heard of some one who CAN'T. Something doesn't sound right. Can you give more details?

Every one CAN get a passport. I've never heard of some one who CAN'T. Something doesn't sound right. Can you give more details?

Not everyone can get one, and I cannot give more details as to why this person cannot get one.

Thanks again NJHorseman for your help:)

No...here's one reason you can be denied a passport, and there may be others:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_863.html

Perhaps someone who has been denied a passport because he/she has failed to make child support payments might consider spending money on a cruise to be less than his/her first priority.

Perhaps someone who has been denied a passport because he/she has failed to make child support payments might consider spending money on a cruise to be less than his/her first priority.

Are you having a bad day?:rolleyes: this has nothing to do with child support and we are getting off topic here, the question was about folks using their birth certificate and photo ID at the pier.

So if anyone is still out there that just returned from the Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ pier after getting off the Summit, would like to hear from you.

NJHorseman, you have been extremely helpful and I did print out what you sent here. Just hoping to hear from someone and what their experience was. Thanks again.

Are you having a bad day?:rolleyes: this has nothing to do with child support and we are getting off topic here, the question was about folks using their birth certificate and photo ID at the pier.

So if anyone is still out there that just returned from the Cape Liberty, Bayonne NJ pier after getting off the Summit, would like to hear from you.

NJHorseman, you have been extremely helpful and I did print out what you sent here. Just hoping to hear from someone and what their experience was. Thanks again.

If I can make a suggestion...post your question on Celebrity board, as there are no doubr any number of "regulars" there who have recently sailed on the Summit. Just don't believe them if they give you an answer different than mine...;)

If I can make a suggestion...post your question on Celebrity board, as there are no doubr any number of "regulars" there who have recently sailed on the Summit. Just don't believe them if they give you an answer different than mine...;)

Thank you NJHorseman, right now I would take your word over anyone else, no worry there;) I am sure everything will be fine just as long as they keep these laws in effect. Have a nice evening:)

No...here's one reason you can be denied a passport, and there may be others:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_863.html

njhorseman - thanks for the info. I had no idea that you could not get a passport if you owed child support. I thought it was something like not using a legal name. (I once knew a person who was having trouble getting her passport because she was born on an Indian reservation so she had no "birth certificate" to speak of.)

The op may also want post the question on the RCCL board. Explorer has been going out of Cape Liberty for quite a few years now and someone might be able to help.

Also to the op. IF your friend can't get a passport, but travels with a BC and drivers licence the government is still going to know that he/she is traveling. Also if something happens and your friend gets into some kind of problem outside the country how will they get back in if they can not get a passport. Your friend may want to re-think leaving the country.

Good luck

Again thanks for the info.

BEARFACE, Is there a specific reason you're concerned about that specific port or ship? The law is the same no matter which port or ship you are on, as long as it meets the requirements already listed previously (closed-loop). It won't make a difference. They will be fine with with a birth certificate as long as it is an original or certified copy and a drivers' license.

Sidenote: It isn't anyone's business why the friend can't get a passport. It is the individual's decision whether or not to travel.

Archived