Major New Break - Upgrades

fodorspeter

For those who will switch to other lines as a result of the no upsell policy-

Take a look at the X and RCCL prices since their no-discounting/rebating policy went into effect. It's not pretty. You are in for an eye-opener. The same suite we had on a RCCL 4 nighter 11/05 is about $1000 more for 11/06. NCL still represents a better value since the new policy.

And yet new bookings continue at record rate for X and RCCL. If this new pricing policy has not had an adverse affect on these lines,I doubt the no upsell policy will affect NCL heavily.

For those who will switch to other lines as a result of the no upsell policy-

Take a look at the X and RCCL prices since their no-discounting/rebating policy went into effect. It's not pretty. You are in for an eye-opener. The same suite we had on a RCCL 4 nighter 11/05 is about $1000 more for 11/06. NCL still represents a better value since the new policy.

And yet new bookings continue at record rate for X and RCCL. If this new pricing policy has not had an adverse affect on these lines,I doubt the no upsell policy will affect NCL heavily.

I repeat, there are still upsells available, BUUUUUUUUUT NCL does the calling. The pax or the agency cannot call. They will be given on merit and the price that was paid for the cruise and what rhey have to "move" Lat. Members will be considered also.

REPEAT AFTER ME BOYS AND GIRLS "upsells are still available. The policy for distributing them has changed":)

I feel that this is a more fair way to do things even if I never get an upsell again:eek:

Well, I don't think it's more fair. Who's to say that how they will decide is more fair? Maybe it will be people they know or who know people they know--maybe there are ways to "bribe" them out of the cruiseline. Maybe a lottery? Who knows? We sure don't and might never.

It seems to me that it's perfectly fair to be getting upsells because you know they are available and you know how to go about it! Educating yourself and taking the initiative should be worth something ... IS worth something, in my book.

I'm an NCL newbie--part of what made me already feel like I would be back (my first cruise isn't with them until May) was the knowledge that it was possible to get a "really cool deal" now that I know how to go about trying. If that is no longer the case, why should I give them my exclusive patronage? Over another, just as nice, cruiseline?

Dun't think so.

Well, I don't think it's more fair. Who's to say that how they will decide is more fair? Maybe it will be people they know or who know people they know--maybe there are ways to "bribe" them out of the cruiseline. Maybe a lottery? Who knows? We sure don't and might never.

It seems to me that it's perfectly fair to be getting upsells because you know they are available and you know how to go about it! Educating yourself and taking the initiative should be worth something ... IS worth something, in my book.

I'm an NCL newbie--part of what made me already feel like I would be back (my first cruise isn't with them until May) was the knowledge that it was possible to get a "really cool deal" now that I know how to go about trying. If that is no longer the case, why should I give them my exclusive patronage? Over another, just as nice, cruiseline?

Dun't think so.

Why not wait untill you sail with NCL first before you make a decision?

You may not want to sail with them again, or if you do you may be called for a great upsell next time:D

I don't like to ever say never. NCL does have some pretty unique itineries and even if you don't get an upsell, from time to time they have some really outstanding prices. I just hope that in a couple years, after they bring online 4 ships that they presently have on order, I can still make the same statement.

-Monte

I cruise NCL because they are a good value and I personally LOVE Freestyle dining. Upsells are nice, but they are not the main reason why I like this line. I book at least 11 months out and usually with NCL then quickly transfer it to my online agency. I'll be cruising on the Sun soon and the price has gone up a lot since I booked. I cannot compare to my cabin though since they are sold out. I'm particular about my cabin so I prefer to book early and get what I want. I have found that I end up paying about the same as someone who gets the upsell in the end. I think one exception to this would be the Villas though. Last I heard they are offering them up at an upsell rate of $9,000 a week out. A heck of a deal if you can afford it!

For those of you so quick to jump to RCCL, have you priced them out lately? I was in a Grand Oceanview suite last March on Navigator of The Seas. We looked into booking the same cruise for 2005 and it had gone up over $1200! Same suite, same cruise, same ship, same everything! That was booking 12 months out too. You definitely get more value for your money with NCL. I'm booked on the Norwegian Jewel for March 2006. The price that I am paying for one of the new private courtyard villas is slightly LOWER that an Owners Suite on RCCL for that week. The difference, total square ft for RCCL 500, total for Norwegian 700 and Norwegian gives me a private courtyard with pool and spa for a small amount of villas and suites, and we get a butler. No brainer to me!

Don't get me wrong, I not pushing Norwegian or bashing RCCL. I love cruising and I love trying different lines and ships. My favorite line is Norwegian though. Favorite ship is The Dawn. I think everyone has different ideas about why they like or dislike a line. Personally CHANGING the way they offer upsells doesn't bother me that much. Now last year 10 days prior to my Navigator cruise, RCCL announced they would start charging for Johnny Rockets! That changed my thinking on RCCL and I was quite put out by it, but not to the point that I would never cruise them again. If we stopped in for fries just once a day it would have been an additional $110! If I don't get an upsell, that wouldn't bother me in the least. I'm in the AC and opted not to book the AA because of the location at the front of the ship.

I guess the bottom line is to figure out what is most important to you and do your research! Research, isn't that why we're all here on Cruise Critic!

Happy Cruising!

If I knew the terms of who they would call, then that would be fine - but I don't like the whole mystery of it. I guess I'm spoiled because I've received upsells on my last 14 cruises. If I knew that they were only going to call people who booked direct with them or paid "full" price, then fine. I guess all that will come out sooner or later.

I always book a room knowing that I might not get any higher and that I should book something I would be happy with if I don't get an upsell. BUT, I have been spoiled and in the past, there has ALWAYS been an upsell - so I guess that's what I'm having difficulty adjusting to.

My point is that the upsells were something that made me stay with NCL. IMO, paying what they were asking (full price) for an owner's suite is outrageous, but at the 50% rate, it was a no brainer and made NCL my cruise line of choice.

If they are going to make it a mystery or difficult to get an upsell, then I will go to a premium line because most premium lines (Crystal, RSSC, etc.) will give you the same level of service in a balcony room that NCL gives someone in a suite.

Mrbooger, that's the right attitude; we can't always except to get a little more and still a little more; this is like those who book guarenteed cabins and gripe about where they end up. And seahorse, yes I guess we will have to agree to disagree; I do not sell air to my clients for several reasons; I do know the fuel has made a difference; one major airline would have turned a profit for the first time since 9/11 this past quarter if it hadn't been for fuel costs and as for retirements being cut: I can't confirm or dispute that: I do know I have 3 friends that I played Bridge with, all wives of retired airline employees, none are suffering financually I can assure you. I wish I had the money they have. They also kept airline benefits: better than retireing froma major hotel chain and not keeping any benefits. Of course there isn't any one reason for the mess the airline industry is in, but 9/11 and fuel has taken it's toll. As hard as it may hit and as much as it may hurt, sometimes cutting everywhere is the only way to save anything. I little is better than nothing wouldn't you say? I remember and not many years ago, when a person had to be loyal to a company for 20 or more years to receive any retirement; my husband spent 16 year with Pacific Tel and Tel. He gets no retirement and he knew this when he decided to leave the company. Now, after 5 years most employees are vested. Maybe this has a baring on the issues as well. I am not an economist for sure, but some of this makes sense to me anyway. Now, how did I get on this crazy subject anyway. Happy cruisin to all,

NMNita

34 posts in reply to a rumor. The original post said effective yesterday. I called and was offered an upsell yesterday. Any of the TAs get any offical word on the change. Will TAs be able to call or have to wait to see which of their clients are selected.

If it is true we have to take some responsibility. Many posters calling months in advance. Turning down good offers because others have post better deals - true or not. Lots of cycle time and limited results.

I cruised for years without any knowledge of an upsell program I will be ok no matter what happens to it. Perhaps NCL will get smart and start a real repeat cruser program. Offer the loyal customers better access to upgrades like the airlines (a bag word). Continental offers upgrades based first on price paid followed by level of freguent flyer.

In the end one thing you can count on with NCL is change. If the new program (if there is one) does not deliver the old upsell wil be back.

Keep those email addresses I bet they will come in handy when looking for that upsell call.

Shoreguy.. It's not a rumor.. I spoke with Sandra today.. As "the master cruise counselor" said pax and agencies can no longer call.. Now they must call you, which means its basically a lottery, a crap shoot, a game of horseshoes, whatever you want to call it.. Where we bought upsells on our last 5 cruises we booked, now its a lottery if they even call me.

Regarding NCL or RCCL.. AT 23 years old, I'd like to see some other cruise products. My comments were that NCL keeps me coming back based on the fact that I know I can get a suite for half the price.

Chris Connolly

Chris, I'm the first to say, try all the cruise lines. I like different lines for different reasons. I prefer Freestyle dining though. In December I finally went on Holland America. I was really looking forward to it and thought it would surpass NCL as my favorite. It didn't. I had a great cruise, I've never had a bad one, but I felt that HAL was the cruise line with no personality. Good service, good food, pretty ship, but it didn't blow me away like I thought it would. Try RCCL, lots to do, but you won't get a great price on a suite. Variety is the spice of life! Enjoy!

Shoreguy.. It's not a rumor.. I spoke with Sandra today.. As "the master cruise counselor" said pax and agencies can no longer call.. Now they must call you, which means its basically a lottery, a crap shoot, a game of horseshoes, whatever you want to call it.. Where we bought upsells on our last 5 cruises we booked, now its a lottery if they even call me.

Regarding NCL or RCCL.. AT 23 years old, I'd like to see some other cruise products. My comments were that NCL keeps me coming back based on the fact that I know I can get a suite for half the price.

Don`t understand why you keep putting me down about my credentials. Now that I see your age, it fits. If you would like to get a job in the industry, go for it:p

Yes Jim it is not a rumor. They will be giving upsells to frequent cruisers based on what they paid for their cruise initially. Kinda stops the "get the lowest and beg for the highest" mentality. SOOooo maybe Mr. Hamptons, you may have a shot:D (sorry, couldn`t resist)

Chris Connolly

I was just hoping. I would not be on The Dawn in six days if it was not for upsell program. There was no way I was going to pay more for a deck 4 ouside GDT then I paid for a BA last year.

Glad I got to enjoy the suites on the Sun and the the Dawn next week. Hope they call me in the future.

I will cruise NCL again but they have lost a wonderful service that the dedicated NCL passenger could leverage.

34 posts in reply to a rumor. The original post said effective yesterday. I called and was offered an upsell yesterday. Any of the TAs get any offical word on the change. Will TAs be able to call or have to wait to see which of their clients are selected.

If it is true we have to take some responsibility. Many posters calling months in advance. Turning down good offers because others have post better deals - true or not. Lots of cycle time and limited results.

I cruised for years without any knowledge of an upsell program I will be ok no matter what happens to it. Perhaps NCL will get smart and start a real repeat cruser program. Offer the loyal customers better access to upgrades like the airlines (a bag word). Continental offers upgrades based first on price paid followed by level of freguent flyer.

In the end one thing you can count on with NCL is change. If the new program (if there is one) does not deliver the old upsell wil be back.

Keep those email addresses I bet they will come in handy when looking for that upsell call.

It is true that it got out of hand and the cruisers on NCL have to take some responsibility. Some agencies have to take responsibilities too. I understand there was abuse of the system by them also.

Remember there will still be upsells and last minute selling off of inventory. BUT the pax that paid the most first will get the better deals in the upper end cabins. Always get the cabin that you want first. Remember the deck 10 aft:D ? Booked that first on the Star, paid a premium price too, because I wanted it, more then I paid last time on the Dawn for 10 days. I was called, didn`t call them, was offered a penthouse AFT for a reasonable price, didn`t haggle, took it. These deals are still going to be available.

Happy cruising!

It is true that it got out of hand and the cruisers on NCL have to take some responsibility. Some agencies have to take responsibilities too. I understand there was abuse of the system by them also.

Remember there will still be upsells and last minute selling off of inventory. BUT the pax that paid the most first will get the better deals in the upper end cabins. Always get the cabin that you want first. Remember the deck 10 aft:D ? Booked that first on the Star, paid a premium price too, because I wanted it, more then I paid last time on the Dawn for 10 days. I was called, didn`t call them, was offered a penthouse AFT for a reasonable price, didn`t haggle, took it. These deals are still going to be available.

Happy cruising!

I have that cabin booked on the Dawn for Feb 06. Paid a premium as well but that cabin is worth it. What other BA would hold a pool deck lounge chair :cool:

ABAFT.jpg.184b77772a548ce0b5b3f506d0034ad9.jpg

seems that only time will tell....

I'm a newbie, didn't know the first thing about upsells until reading this board. Called today and was told that nothing is available right now (03/12 sailing) but to call back Monday and they will have a new list.

So...two different stories in the same day??? THAT seems to be the ongoing theme for NCL from what I'm reading and experiencing. :(

The way I see it, things might be changing a bit but I think its just capitalism at work. First lets get something straight, never get airline travel confused with cruise travel. The airlines as a whole, have had THE worst business model of any industry in the world, period. Regardless, by nature airline travel is much more condusive to electronic ticketing and travel management. Let see, you input city pairs, dates, select coach or first class, select your seats, input your credit card and presto you have a ticket and even a boarding pass. If you don't like the fare, check other cities close by until you break the fare. Some airlines even have great online ticket exchange and refund capability. Only the computer challenged, hyper-business person or those who just can't be bothered usually seek the help of a TA on any kind of a regular basis. And realistically, if it were your product they were selling, how much would you be willing to pay them to sell it, if you could sell it far cheaper online without paying someone? Its not about trying to hurt TA's, its basic economics. Hey, being a TA IS tough. Lots of bennys have gone by the wayside, often incl. non-rev'ing, ID discounts and other perks.

But cruise travel unlike air travel IS NOT a necessity for most people. Yeah, yeah I know their will be a few chime in's to this ascertion, but you know what I mean :) . Plus, filling state rooms on a cruise ship is much more complicated than cutting a plane ticket. Better yet, its exponentially more difficult to fill a ship up on a REGULAR basis and that is WITH TA's. If cruise lines cut TA's out, it would not take too long for there to be a serious industry contraction because many would fold. A cruiseline would be nuts to think they could survive by only selling passage on their dedicated web sites and internal agents. As has been previously stated, the overhead price paid to TA's in the form of commission, give backs and perks is but a fraction of what it would cost in overhead if the cruiselines tried to do it themselves internally!

No, what I think your seeing now is marketing efforts that are responding to the the current popularity and cyclical upswing in cruise travel business. Carnival and a few others forbid discounting, NCL takes away one of their common perks etc. etc. All it's going to take is for their to be a minor economic downturn, perceived competitive advantage by another cruiseline or other blip on the radar that casts a pall on cruise travel and you'll see a liberalization of "policies" if not cut throat business practices invoked in a hurry.

Remember, we as the consumers hold the keys. Maybe not in time before our next cruise but, if we all remember to patronize TA's, web sites and cruiselines who give us the best VALUE as WE DEFINE IT not the cruiselines, you'll always keep the pressure on. Thats why for all cruise travelers, our FAVORITE cruiseline ought to be THE ONE THE OFFERS ME THE BEST VALUE for the the dollar when planning my next trip. Same goes for TA's, if you want the business, get me the best deal, give me good service and I'll be back.The services, amenities and product in general is far too much alike in my opinion to warrant any extended "loyalty".

George

This is just another step on NCL's path to self destruction. They are systematically eliminating everything that made them different from other carriers. I think that as soon as we see other lines incorporating things like freestyle dining on all their ships, there will be a mass exodus from NCL. Maybe then they'll wake up and smell the coffee. Otherwise, good riddance!

I have that cabin booked on the Dawn for Feb 06. Paid a premium as well but that cabin is worth it. What other BA would hold a pool deck lounge chair :cool:

And possibly even a pool:eek: :eek: The Penthouse on deck 8 dosen`t have that big of a bal. but I still have my wake view:D I think I could live with it.

This is just another step on NCL's path to self destruction. They are systematically eliminating everything that made them different from other carriers. I think that as soon as we see other lines incorporating things like freestyle dining on all their ships' date=' there will be a mass exodus from NCL. Maybe then they'll wake up and smell the coffee. Otherwise, good riddance![/quote']

They're DOOMED!!! DOOOOOOMED!!!!!

"Give me the idol. I'll throw you the whip." :p

If they are going to make it a mystery or difficult to get an upsell, then I will go to a premium line because most premium lines (Crystal, RSSC, etc.) will give you the same level of service in a balcony room that NCL gives someone in a suite.

Better prepare yourself for a big hit in the pocketbook.

Any Sky Suite on deck 12 of Celebrity's Century-class ships will hold about eight of 'em.

Yes but they cost much more then a standard balcony. Two BA cabins on the Dawn/Star have balconies at least 4 times as large as any other and cost the same.

My AD Penthouse on the SUN had a huge balcony but cost more even with the upsell.

Any Sky Suite on deck 12 of Celebrity's Century-class ships will hold about eight of 'em.

Apples to oranges nectarines to peaches, etc. Value to the high priced spread:eek:

just kidding, funnen wich ya:D

This was my best kepet secret until Shoreguy came along:mad:

Oh by the way, GO EAGLES

Archived