all things ELATION

JustJamieH

we went on elation july/25 we got to the port at 10:25 and pulled right in parked and walked right through security and up to the county. We were in zone 1 and on the ship by 11:30 ... i just booked cruise for next july and can not wait. we will definatly park at the port...

I drove past the port today on I-10 at about 1 pm and there was no traffic at all at the terminal. There were numerous spots empty on the top deck of the parking garage and there was only a handful of vehicles in the overflow lot at the Civic Center. When I came back by at about 3:30 pm there was a lot of vehicles in the overflow lot, but, still no traffic at the terminal. Not sure what all that means.

We will be on Elation 9/20 and can't wait!!!!

If anyone has recent parking info (port parking) please let us know....best time to arrive, etc.

Just got off Elation yesterday. Parking was the same as always. We parked in Civic Center parking lot. I got there at 2:30 and walked right on the ship.

We were on the Elation in July. It was wonderful. The aft pool was open the entire week... except for the afternoon something was found floating... if you get my drift. They drained the pool, cleaned it and refilled and up and running.

One thing my husband and I did notice was the staff friendliness. We had cruised on the Holiday three times previously. On the Holiday when you walked by a member of the crew they immediately smiled at you and greeted you. I think they had picked up on that Southern Hospitality previously mentioned. We noticed that on the Elation the crew on a whole was not as friendly. Don't get me wrong, if you spoke to them they always spoke back. It's just they didn't do it first. My husband and I always greet the crew members and actually love to talk to them. On the Holiday the crew never gave you a chance to greet them first, they were always one step ahead of you. ;)

The food, as usual, was great. We didn't have any complaints. Just we learned again how unusally well we were treated on the Holiday. Our daughter has food allergies. On the Holiday the chef went out of his way to create desserts for our daughter. On the Elation...she ate A LOT of fruit. Again, this was not a problem, we just learned how good the chef on the Holiday was.

The photo staff was friendly and the area for photo's was great as compared to the lack of room onboard the Holiday.

The band was good but smaller than we remembered from past cruises. This might have been a budget cut area, sick employees, etc. They were still good.

My husband and I enjoy cruising very much...as you can see by my signatures (I have one cruise missing from the list). We have sailed out of Mobile 4 times already. Mobile is an easy port to get to and navigate around. Although this time we had stayed at a local hotel and were shuttled to the port, we've never had any problems in the past. The port authority staff is always nice and easy to work with.

The Elation is a beautiful ship. You can generally find your way around easily. Although it was a little confusing for me to have two dining rooms named so similarly and remember where we went for lunch and where for dinner.... but that was just a me memory thing. I finally just referred to them as the "front dining room" and the "back dining room." lol

The art staff is great, too. We always hit the art auctions and enjoyed being helped by the staff on the Elation. We came home with two pieces of art. :)

All in all, we had a great cruise. There were some differences compared to the Holiday but not major differences. I don't want you to think I'm being critical or unhappy. These were just some of my observations. Nothing that kept us from enjoying ourselves. I look for the staff to do some changing as they get used to the Southern Hospitality. Oh... and we're booked on her again... we leave November 29th, just hubby and I.

We were on the Elation in July. It was wonderful. The aft pool was open the entire week... except for the afternoon something was found floating... if you get my drift. They drained the pool, cleaned it and refilled and up and running.

One thing my husband and I did notice was the staff friendliness. We had cruised on the Holiday three times previously. On the Holiday when you walked by a member of the crew they immediately smiled at you and greeted you. I think they had picked up on that Southern Hospitality previously mentioned. We noticed that on the Elation the crew on a whole was not as friendly. Don't get me wrong, if you spoke to them they always spoke back. It's just they didn't do it first. My husband and I always greet the crew members and actually love to talk to them. On the Holiday the crew never gave you a chance to greet them first, they were always one step ahead of you. ;)

The food, as usual, was great. We didn't have any complaints. Just we learned again how unusally well we were treated on the Holiday. Our daughter has food allergies. On the Holiday the chef went out of his way to create desserts for our daughter. On the Elation...she ate A LOT of fruit. Again, this was not a problem, we just learned how good the chef on the Holiday was.

The photo staff was friendly and the area for photo's was great as compared to the lack of room onboard the Holiday.

The band was good but smaller than we remembered from past cruises. This might have been a budget cut area, sick employees, etc. They were still good.

My husband and I enjoy cruising very much...as you can see by my signatures (I have one cruise missing from the list). We have sailed out of Mobile 4 times already. Mobile is an easy port to get to and navigate around. Although this time we had stayed at a local hotel and were shuttled to the port, we've never had any problems in the past. The port authority staff is always nice and easy to work with.

The Elation is a beautiful ship. You can generally find your way around easily. Although it was a little confusing for me to have two dining rooms named so similarly and remember where we went for lunch and where for dinner.... but that was just a me memory thing. I finally just referred to them as the "front dining room" and the "back dining room." lol

The art staff is great, too. We always hit the art auctions and enjoyed being helped by the staff on the Elation. We came home with two pieces of art. :)

All in all, we had a great cruise. There were some differences compared to the Holiday but not major differences. I don't want you to think I'm being critical or unhappy. These were just some of my observations. Nothing that kept us from enjoying ourselves. I look for the staff to do some changing as they get used to the Southern Hospitality. Oh... and we're booked on her again... we leave November 29th, just hubby and I.

I have to agree with you. I had the same impression of the staff. They were not as friendly as on all my other cruises with Carnival. Nothing bad, but not what I'm used to. Now the entertainment staff was a different story - Felipe (CD) and Nick (Social Host) were super friendly and always had a smile and were willing to chat!

Loved the ship and had a terrific cruise!!

Ashley :)

We are sailing on the Elation Nov. 29 out of Mobile. This is our second Carnival cruise...13th cruise overall. On our first Carnival cruise (2 years ago), we were allowed to bring one bottle of wine onboard for each adult sailing in our party. Is this still a policy?

We are taking my parents in celebration of their 55th wedding anniversary (their first cruise). My Dad is a pretty picky eater... If I remember correctly, on our last Carnival cruise, they offered a generic chicken or steak option at every dinner. Is this still an option? What about the buffet...does it offer burgers, hot dogs, etc.?

Any helpful information for the Elation would be appreciated! Thanks!

We returned on Monday from the Elation and had a wonderful cruise.

We have sailed on every Fantasy class ship that Carnival has and the Elation is by far the prettiest.

Solomon in the karaoke lounge ROCKED.

Music Degree is currently the Cover Band and they are EXCELLENT!!

Embarkation was even a breeze this time (which is a FIRST)....

When we were driving down to this cruise, I told hubby and this would probably be the last time we sailed from Mobile...because the other embarkations were just such a mess.

But this one (and the cruise) went so well...we booked a B2B for January!!!

I will sit at my usual table,,at least the location of. He did the seating search for the equiv of Fantasy, and other vessels for me.. I'm soooooooo a creature of habit, I had it from Fantasy, but after reurb not the same... Packing as we speak

I will sit at my usual table,,at least the location of. He did the seating search for the equiv of Fantasy, and other vessels for me.. I'm soooooooo a creature of habit, I had it from Fantasy, but after reurb not the same... Packing as we speak

We will be cruising on Elation 9/11/10 and have a group. I'd like to discuss seating.

Sol y Mar

We are sailing on the Elation Nov. 29 out of Mobile. This is our second Carnival cruise...13th cruise overall. On our first Carnival cruise (2 years ago), we were allowed to bring one bottle of wine onboard for each adult sailing in our party. Is this still a policy?

We are taking my parents in celebration of their 55th wedding anniversary (their first cruise). My Dad is a pretty picky eater... If I remember correctly, on our last Carnival cruise, they offered a generic chicken or steak option at every dinner. Is this still an option? What about the buffet...does it offer burgers, hot dogs, etc.?

I don't know about the wine but I do know they have a flat iron steak on the menu every night. Your dad will love the food. Tell him to ask for extra ice cream with his warm chocolate melting cake.... Oh and yes the buffet has burgers, hot dogs, etc.

As far as I know, one bottle of wine per adult it still acceptable as long as it is CARRIED ON.

I think your Dad will find plenty to select from. I am a pretty picky eater myself. I don't do seafood. I don't do pork, lamb, etc......

basically I am a meat and potato person with some chicken thrown in.

Just let Dad know that should he get something he doesn't like...that he should feel free to order something else....

Besides the buffet...there is a wonderful deli (Lido Aft)....hamburgers and hot dogs, pizza and a mongolian wok.....

and don't forget about 24 hour room service!!!

Omelets are made to order out by the pool every morning and the Main Dining Room is open on Sea Days as well.

We will be cruising on Elation 9/11/10 and have a group. I'd like to discuss seating.

Sol y Mar

I am sure your TA has already done this....but make sure everyone in your group has their cabins linked... if they all want to eat at the same time, same dining room with adjacent tables.

When we were driving down to this cruise, I told hubby and this would probably be the last time we sailed from Mobile...because the other embarkations were just such a mess.

Things should be looking up for better embarkation here in Mobile. Just last week it was announced that the City of Mobile had purchased the old Amtrak property just north of the cruise terminal and will turn it into additional parking for cruisers. It is near and an easy walk to the terminal. This will eliminate the overflow parking at the civic center which required either being shuttled or a long walk to the cruise terminal.

I am sure your TA has already done this....but make sure everyone in your group has their cabins linked... if they all want to eat at the same time, same dining room with adjacent tables.

We all use the same PVP, and while he does link our bookings, it doesn't ensure that seating will work out. We often cruise with several cabins, and a year or two ago, our seating was all messed up. Folks who wanted early seating had late, folks who wanted late seating had early. Folks who belonged to one family were sat with another. For example, our children were sat with a family who requested early seating and their mother was sat with my husband and I (and we had requested late seating).

But, thank you for the information. After 11 cruises, I have figured out these little tricks, it just doesn't always work out satisfactorily. :rolleyes:

Sol y Mar

We all use the same PVP, and while he does link our bookings, it doesn't ensure that seating will work out. We often cruise with several cabins, and a year or two ago, our seating was all messed up. Folks who wanted early seating had late, folks who wanted late seating had early. Folks who belonged to one family were sat with another. For example, our children were sat with a family who requested early seating and their mother was sat with my husband and I (and we had requested late seating).

But, thank you for the information. After 11 cruises, I have figured out these little tricks, it just doesn't always work out satisfactorily. :rolleyes:

Sol y Mar

Yes, the linking is "suppose" to be the key.

Perhaps it is because it is so many folks. I know linking a couple of cabins has never been an issue for us.

Is your group large enough to use the "group department". They have their own agents that handle the cruise.....and they handle seating etc. If you have enough folks...might be worth a look.

Things should be looking up for better embarkation here in Mobile. Just last week it was announced that the City of Mobile had purchased the old Amtrak property just north of the cruise terminal and will turn it into additional parking for cruisers. It is near and an easy walk to the terminal. This will eliminate the overflow parking at the civic center which required either being shuttled or a long walk to the cruise terminal.

We noticed some construction in May at the property right next door to the parking garage. I was wondering if it might be another garage.....

I get the feeling that Mobile is one of those ports that goes smoothly as long as "all the stars are lined up"....but let the ship be an hour late or let the train block the entrance for 20 minutes and it gets messy quick.....

probably because the "line up" for parking quickly intrudes on the Interstate ramp....

Sol y Mar

I was going to add that I can sympathize.....

we have a son with Autism who will not eat with strangers at the table....

(not even family members who he does not know very well)....

so we have to get a private table on every cruise. We always contact Guest Access Services and in 2008 and 2009....13 out of the 16 cruises were WRONG.

So I always stand in line when we board and double check.....

getting it correct 3 times out of 16 is a pretty poor statistic....

And this is something that is a medical necessity. He will not eat with strangers at the table. It isn't like we are asking to be some queen bee in the center of the room. They still couldn't get it right....

In fact, the best table for us is the one in the corner away from everyone else. I always tell them...we want the table that no one else wants!!

I will say that our 3 cruises so far in 2010 have been better because I started emailed Guess Access Services directly instead of just faxing in the Special Needs form. We will see how the other 4 go this year.....

LHP.....we cruised with you on the Bloggers cruise in February '09. Glad to see you liked the Elation....we will be getting on her on Sept. 20th.

How was the parking at the port? What time did you arrive to park in the port parking and not the "overflow" lot? We will be platinum this cruise, so any hints you can give us will be great!

Tell you son that a "blogger" said hi.....it's DJ isn't it?

LHP.....we cruised with you on the Bloggers cruise in February '09. Glad to see you liked the Elation....we will be getting on her on Sept. 20th.

How was the parking at the port? What time did you arrive to park in the port parking and not the "overflow" lot? We will be platinum this cruise, so any hints you can give us will be great!

Tell you son that a "blogger" said hi.....it's DJ isn't it?

HI.... I will tell him you said hello!

Mobile Embarkation....:D

When it works correctly....it really goes smoothly.

When it don't work.......it goes really bad quickly.

We are VIP, so we have learned to arrive around 10:30am. IF the ship has docked on time, then you will be parking and on board by 11:30am. We do this with the understanding that IF there is a surprise Coast Guard inspection....it could be 12:30pm before we board.

Security will ask to see you VIP Fun Pass before they allow you into the terminal to drop your luggage.

There are two lanes (to the right) for dropping luggage and then they direct you to the garage ramp. You take the elevator back down to 1st floor. If it is raining, you won't even get wet.

The problem is that when it gets backed up (ship late getting in or the train blocks the entrance for 20 minutes).... the line can affect the I-10 ramp and several intersections.

Be sure to tell Solomon (karaoke host) his Cruise Mom said HI!! You know me and karaoke!!!

HI.... I will tell him you said hello!

Mobile Embarkation....:D

When it works correctly....it really goes smoothly.

When it don't work.......it goes really bad quickly.

We are VIP, so we have learned to arrive around 10:30am. IF the ship has docked on time, then you will be parking and on board by 11:30am. We do this with the understanding that IF there is a surprise Coast Guard inspection....it could be 12:30pm before we board.

Security will ask to see you VIP Fun Pass before they allow you into the terminal to drop your luggage.

There are two lanes (to the right) for dropping luggage and then they direct you to the garage ramp. You take the elevator back down to 1st floor. If it is raining, you won't even get wet.

The problem is that when it gets backed up (ship late getting in or the train blocks the entrance for 20 minutes).... the line can affect the I-10 ramp and several intersections.

Be sure to tell Solomon (karaoke host) his Cruise Mom said HI!! You know me and karaoke!!!

I will look for Solomon and tell him "hi"!!

Beaming90...

we have had a room with the fold down bed each time we have sailed the last 2 years as we have a 12 yr old. and love it... they put it down at night and if we want they will put it up during the day... but we leave it down in case we want to watch a movie during the day she can lay in it. she loves it also so we are all happy ;-) ir is also in the corner at the foot of the bed so you don't feel like it is on top of you...

now if it is the room with 2 fold down beds that is a different story... i have not stayed in one but our friends did and the second fold down comes down right over the adult bed right over your head so it. hope this helps...

Thanks!!

Beaming90...

we have had a room with the fold down bed each time we have sailed the last 2 years as we have a 12 yr old. and love it... they put it down at night and if we want they will put it up during the day... but we leave it down in case we want to watch a movie during the day she can lay in it. she loves it also so we are all happy ;-) ir is also in the corner at the foot of the bed so you don't feel like it is on top of you...

now if it is the room with 2 fold down beds that is a different story... i have not stayed in one but our friends did and the second fold down comes down right over the adult bed right over your head so it. hope this helps...

Thank you for the information. I cannot wait!!

We returned on Monday from the Elation and had a wonderful cruise.

We have sailed on every Fantasy class ship that Carnival has and the Elation is by far the prettiest.

Solomon in the karaoke lounge ROCKED.

Music Degree is currently the Cover Band and they are EXCELLENT!!

We will be on the January 6 sailing too! Lucky you doing B2B!!

Did you happen to get any pictures of the gym or the track? Or of the teen areas? If anyone going between now and January could get some of those areas I would sure appreciate it!!!

By the way LHP, we don't live "too far" from Memphis. Small world...

Archived