Back up plan

chefchick

Everyone seems to say it's a good idea to have one in case of bad weather once in port. The way the weather has been lately, it seems to be a good idea.

We leave Seattle saturday, 6/26 and have already booked Harv & Marv in Juneau and Island Wings in Ketchikan. I think if H&M gets cancelled we will just take the shuttle to the glacier or maybe take the tram? But what would you suggest if the floatplane gets canceled due to weather? We aren't really into standard touristy things and I'm not a huge hiker, but can someone suggest something perhaps close to the dock or a tour that shouldn't be too dependent on the weather?

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh, and keep your fingers crossed for good weather okay? :D

I think that it would be very unlikely for H&M to have to cancel. I went out with Orca when we had a very steady rain (much more than a drizzle) for the entire trip. I've been with Michelle twice - once it rained the entire time we were out - the other it was just "Misty" - as the name of the place implies. Michelle would have to cancel if there's fog, I believe.

Everyone seems to say it's a good idea to have one in case of bad weather once in port. The way the weather has been lately, it seems to be a good idea.

We leave Seattle saturday, 6/26 and have already booked Harv & Marv in Juneau and Island Wings in Ketchikan. I think if H&M gets cancelled we will just take the shuttle to the glacier or maybe take the tram? But what would you suggest if the floatplane gets canceled due to weather? We aren't really into standard touristy things and I'm not a huge hiker, but can someone suggest something perhaps close to the dock or a tour that shouldn't be too dependent on the weather?

Thanks in advance for your help. Oh, and keep your fingers crossed for good weather okay? :D

The only way Harv & Marv would cancel is if it's extremely rough & even then they leave it up to you & if you do you get a Full refund:) Any flights would get cancelled if it's too foggy other than that you're good. Prayerfully you'll have good weather;) Enjoy your trip & looking forward to your review.

In Ketchikan the Totem Heritage Center is good -- if you want aged totems that have been rescued and are now being preserved. IMHO it is VERY cool to see them. These aren't replicas or reproductions, so they are weathered, old and many are imperfect. Again IMHO you can feel the history.

We are booked with H and M and Island Wings also. Our backup plan for Juneau is to try to rent a wreck and then head to St. Therese and other sightseeing or just spend time at Mendhenhall. In Ketchikan, if Michelle cancels Anan due to weather, we are hoping we can still get on the Bering Catch Tour.

We were just with H&M two weeks ago - it was blowing and the water was rough, but still kinda of sunny at 9AM. They gave us the option to cancel for a full refund or go. All six of us from our Roll Call gave a great big 'GO!!!!' and so we did! Yup, it was rough, and the rain came in sheets - but boy, did we have a blast! Slamming down on those waves to get to the next whale sighting was kind of like an amusement ride - but we were all good sailors and loved it! Very exciting and wouldn't have missed it for the world! H&M are a class act- I really think you're going to enjoy your excursion with them. Here's hoping you have smooth seas and blue skies! Enjoy!

Archived