Is April too early?

shops54

Trying to decide wheather to do a Med cruise in the late fall or early spring. We hate crowds and hot weather; would rather wear a sweater than a swimsuit (best of all is swimming in cool weather:)). and love sunny cool days most of all. We need to be home by early May for our college kids - otherwise we are pretty free. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks so much.

Well, we have done 2 cruises to the Med. First one at the very end of November. Loved it. Cool days for sightseeing, trees in fall color and even Christmas markets in some areas.....

then our next trip we did the very first of May. Also nice weather, but even then it was already getting warm and some places HOT. Flowers in bloom everywhere tho.

Either one is preferable to the grueling heat of summer....... find the cruise with the best itinerary for you and go for it.

April is wonderful. My wife and I have sailed on several Mediterranean cruises in April as part of longer cruises and most recently we were in the Med. this past April. We prefer this time of the year as it is less crowded with tourists and the weather is quite nice without all of the heat and the humidity of the hot summer. It's a great time to visit.

Keith

We never felt rain last November and had calm seas. The weather was perfect for touring and the lack of crowds, especially in Ephesus was a real bonus.

It was warm enough on shore most days to eat outside.

Trying to decide wheather to do a Med cruise in the late fall or early spring. We hate crowds and hot weather; would rather wear a sweater than a swimsuit (best of all is swimming in cool weather:)). and love sunny cool days most of all. We need to be home by early May for our college kids - otherwise we are pretty free. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks so much.

For me April & May and then September & October are the best months in the southern Med. In the spring the wild flowers are at their best, the air becomes sweet and warm and everything feels glorious.

The sea is likely to be rather refreshing (English for far too cold to swim comfortably!) though so you'd be brave to bring swimsuits with the expectation of being in the sea. In a sheltered spot, out of the wind, it's perfectly possible to do a little sunbathing though.

Happy planning,

Mands

I could not agree more with Mands. Since you will need to be back by early May, then April is probably the best for you. If not, then October would be my second choice.

April weather is terrific in Greece. But be forewarned that Easter is THE biggest holiday of the year in Greece. If you are there around Easter some things may be closed. On the other hand you may see events that only happen once a year. Be sure to check the Greek Orthodox church calendar, because Easter on this calendar often does not coincide with the western celebration of Easter.

April weather is terrific in Greece. But be forewarned that Easter is THE biggest holiday of the year in Greece. If you are there around Easter some things may be closed. On the other hand you may see events that only happen once a year. Be sure to check the Greek Orthodox church calendar, because Easter on this calendar often does not coincide with the western celebration of Easter.

In 2011 Greek Orthodox Easter is celebrated on the same day as Western Easter April 24. In Greece, Monday April 25th will also be a big holiday as the Feast Day of St. George is celebrated that day. That is a wonderful time to visit if you want to see the religious activities, but a time to avoid otherwise. (The entire week before and the first 2 or three days after should be avoided.)

Because the Med has become so popular as a travel destination, I am finding that May and September are really as crowded now as June through August used to be. To really sightsee with fewer crowds, I suggest April or mid-October through November. I prefer the Fall months, but either should be fine. In terms of swimming, the water will still be warmer from the summer in October and you may be able to swim. I wouldn't count on it in April or November.

. . . Be sure to check the Greek Orthodox church calendar, because Easter on this calendar often does not coincide with the western celebration of Easter.

For 2011 Orthodox Pascha and Western-rites Easter are on the same day (4/24). In 2012 Pascha is celebrated 4/15, 2013 5/5 and 2014 I believe it is 4/20.

The formula for Easter—"The first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox"—is identical for both Western and Orthodox churches, but the churches vary on their interpretation as to the definition of the vernal equinox and, since the Easter "story" involves Jesus celebrating Passover prior to the cruixificion, Orthodox faith also factors in that Pascha must be celebrated after Passover.

The Serbs and other eastern European groups have a high percentage of Orthodox Christians and will also celebrate Orthodox Pascha, so you may want to factor that into your spring travel plans as well.

To the OP. we've been in Northern Italy in Late April and found the crowds to be quite a bit "lighter". We are from Wisconsin, and as a cheesehead to a mudduck, believe me in that the worst April weather in Northern Italy beats April weather in WI/MN.

We have also cruised the last three years the last week of November. Western and Eastern European itineraries. Some of the more Northerly ports were a bit chilly (50-60's in Barcelona pre-cruise stay, 60-70s after; Venice was low to mid 60s both years; Rome was high 60s one year, low 80s the next). Southerly and more Eastern ports were all lovely -- 70s and pretty much sunny.

The weather earlier in spring and later in autumn is more variable than later in spring or earlier in fall, but is still generally very conducive to sightseeing.

Archived