Woo Hoo Just booked PG on Feb 9, 2011 !

tahitifeb11

I just booked a window stateroom for Feb 9, 2011. We are going for our 10th anniversary and are doing the 10 night with a night pre-cruise at the Radisson. We have cruised Princess before, but haven't been cruising in 8 years. I am really looking forward to the laid back luxury and small ship experience that Paul Gauguin is known for. We chose this cruise over the Royal Princess cruise because we were looking for a younger more vibrant crowd, and a step above trip. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Bret

gd & wendy,

Thanks, I have always wanted to see the South Pacific, and what better way to go than a mobile resort. Hopefully the weather will be good for us, I know that we are going in the rainy season, but getting out of Indiana in the dead of winter is too much to resist. Any comments on dining and meeting other couples? we are in our mid 30s and really liked sitting at a bigger table as it gives us a chance to meet others. It is always more fun when you can do excursions in groups etc.

Bret

Just ask the maitre'd, when you enter L'Etoile (the main dining room), to seat you with others. I like a table for 6 best, since a table for 8 tends to be too large for mixing up conversations. If you book the alternative dining I think you can also ask to be part of a larger table, not sure. Unless you make fast friends and want to be with them, Le Grill at night is perfect for romantic dining for two (unless it's too muggy or hot.)

La Palette at night is a good place for the younguns like you guys--depends on the specific age breakdown of your cruise, but you'll find most folks under 35 there at that time. If you hang out there at night early in your cruise, you'll probably meet your peers.

The piano bar is great before dinner, if you sit at the bar you generally get into conversations with others, or just ask another couple if you can share their table.

The show lounge layout also invites conversations during breaks in the show, which are usually very good.

The excursions are all in a group, so no problem.

• 5 weeks later...

You are very unlikely to get a younger crowd. Vibrancy I think is not related to age. Whatever your age the PG is the experience of a lifetime.

Enjoy and all the best for your anniversary.

I just booked a window stateroom for Feb 9, 2011. We are going for our 10th anniversary and are doing the 10 night with a night pre-cruise at the Radisson. We have cruised Princess before, but haven't been cruising in 8 years. I am really looking forward to the laid back luxury and small ship experience that Paul Gauguin is known for. We chose this cruise over the Royal Princess cruise because we were looking for a younger more vibrant crowd, and a step above trip. Any tips or recommendations would be appreciated.

Bret

Congratulations on your upcoming PG adventure!

I was much happier at the Sheraton pre cruise than I was at Radisson for post cruise.The Intercontinental is also very nice.You may want to research your decision even though it is just one night.

And yes,usually the longer and more expensive the cruise the older the crowd!Old people have more time and more money to exhaust on their vacations.

gd & wendy,

Thanks, I have always wanted to see the South Pacific, and what better way to go than a mobile resort. Hopefully the weather will be good for us, I know that we are going in the rainy season, but getting out of Indiana in the dead of winter is too much to resist. Any comments on dining and meeting other couples? we are in our mid 30s and really liked sitting at a bigger table as it gives us a chance to meet others. It is always more fun when you can do excursions in groups etc.

Bret

Congratulations on your choice of anniversary celebration destination! We did this cruise last year and it was the most special vacation of our lives. We are 8-10 years older than you and are didn't have any trouble meeting people. By the time the cruise was done we felt as though we knew over 1/2 of the guests by name. I'm am not really a late night girl, so we didn't hang out at La Pallette after dinner, but we met people all over the ship, through shore excursions, at the Piano Bar before dinner, at the pool, at breakfast, etc, etc. We met and fully enjoyed people of all ages, with some of our favorite new friends being in their 80's!

The link to my review of this trip is posted below if you would like to take a peek at what we did. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this trip! We had the trip of a lifetime and know that we will return (I'm hoping for soon!).

Archived