Shore Excursion Tipping

I think that depends on if you are doing a private tour or one through the cruise line. If a private tour I tip depending on service received, if guide gave lots of info and fun time had by all then I think $10 to $15 per person is not unreasonable. Do you question tipping 15% for someone that just delivers food to you in a restaurant? A excursion guide can make or break the trip and normally works way harder than a waiter.

I think that depends on if you are doing a private tour or one through the cruise line. If a private tour I tip depending on service received, if guide gave lots of info and fun time had by all then I think $10 to $15 per person is not unreasonable. Do you question tipping 15% for someone that just delivers food to you in a restaurant? A excursion guide can make or break the trip and normally works way harder than a waiter.

So what would be the difference if it is a ship tour?

I think $10-15 pp for a family of 5 is outrageous! Maybe $15 for the entire group of you, IF the tour was more than you feel you paid for....it really depends on the excursion!

If the "tour" is simply transportation, then I don't tip at all...the fee is more than enough. If the tour guide goes out of his way to really show us a great time, we'll tip...usually $10-20 for the 2 of us....

Excursions don't need to be tipped as if they are "service personnel"...they are NOT making below minimum wage...some tour guides are the OWNERS of the company...you don't "tip" owners!

Archived