Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

My Kindle just arrived last night and already I've fallen in love with it! Took less than 2 hours to fully charge it, and I've already bought 5 books and am ready to READ... :)

I also have to figure out all those little extras, but for now, I'm a real happy camper.

I bought the standard Amazon cover..and like it, too. It was easy to put the Kindle in it, it looks like a fine leather bound journal, and seems to hold the Kindle pretty securely.

Just this morning I got an email from Amazon offering an "extended warranty", but after reading all the reviews, I declined.

Anyway..I think the Kindle is wonderful! And here I am, an old librarian who thought I'd never adjust to anything other than a physical BOOK. :)

I was in Target this afternoon and was amazed to see that they are selling the Amazon Kindle there. The price was $189.00. Anyone who is thinking about buying one but wants to see what they look like, you could go to Target and see them.

You may be able to look at it there, but I wouldn't suggest buying it there.

BTW, replacement Kindle arrived yesterday almost fully charged. I'm happy again. :D

My Kindle just arrived last night and already I've fallen in love with it! Took less than 2 hours to fully charge it, and I've already bought 5 books and am ready to READ... :)

I also have to figure out all those little extras, but for now, I'm a real happy camper.

I bought the standard Amazon cover..and like it, too. It was easy to put the Kindle in it, it looks like a fine leather bound journal, and seems to hold the Kindle pretty securely.

Just this morning I got an email from Amazon offering an "extended warranty", but after reading all the reviews, I declined.

Anyway..I think the Kindle is wonderful! And here I am, an old librarian who thought I'd never adjust to anything other than a physical BOOK. :)

Isn't it cool how it is almost intuitive with learning how to use it?!! I went ahead and bought that "kindle shortcuts" ebook, but haven't really used a lot of it. It just kind of "makes sense". Glad you like it. I have the basic cover also and have been very pleased with it. (See - they can teach us Old Dogs new tricks!!):D

You may be able to look at it there, but I wouldn't suggest buying it there.

BTW, replacement Kindle arrived yesterday almost fully charged. I'm happy again. :D

Glad to hear you got the new one! Happy reading, again!

I have a raised stand from several years ago that held my Franklin Covey Day Planner. I now use it to put my Kindle on and I can read at the table without having to hold anything in my hands. Really makes it nice! :p

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has been really helpful and has gotten me wanting a Kindle. I mentioned it to DH last night and he gleefully told me he has one on order for me! The price dropped yesterday to $139 (for the Wi-fi w/o 3G). Now I just have to wait until August 27th to get it. I am very excited. I read all the time and it gets tiresome carrying a book with me everywhere. I have a couple of questions for you veterans:

1. Is there anybody here that doesn't like their Kindle or has some constructive criticism that I should I know about?
  2. Does anyone read in the tub? I was thinking about putting the kindle in a ziplock bag for tub/beach/pool reading. What are your thoughts?
  3. How do you save your page if you want to put the 'book' down? When I turn it on, will it automatically open to where I last left off?
  4. Does anyone have this case? What do you think? Is it worth it to buy the same case with the retractable light for an extra $25?
  5. Do you think it is worth an extra $50 to get the 3G network?
  6. Can I use the 3G on a Caribbean cruise? In open water? At port? Only certain ports?
  7. Anyone ever go to a Starbuck's or somewhere with free wi-fi and download a book while away from home?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks everyone!

This thread has been really helpful and has gotten me wanting a Kindle. I mentioned it to DH last night and he gleefully told me he has one on order for me! The price dropped yesterday to $139 (for the Wi-fi w/o 3G). Now I just have to wait until August 27th to get it. I am very excited. I read all the time and it gets tiresome carrying a book with me everywhere. I have a couple of questions for you veterans:

1. Is there anybody here that doesn't like their Kindle or has some constructive criticism that I should I know about?

;No criticism. Love it.

1. Does anyone read in the tub? I was thinking about putting the kindle in a ziplock bag for tub/beach/pool reading. What are your thoughts?

Never thought about doing it. Perhaps because I don't do tubs.

1. How do you save your page if you want to put the 'book' down? When I turn it on, will it automatically open to where I last left off?

Yes. It knows where you left off.

1. Does anyone have this case? What do you think? Is it worth it to buy the same case with the retractable light for an extra $25?

I bought a soft neoprene case at Target which also holds the electrical cord.

1. Do you think it is worth an extra $50 to get the 3G network?
  2. Can I use the 3G on a Caribbean cruise? In open water? At port? Only certain ports?
  3. Anyone ever go to a Starbuck's or somewhere with free wi-fi and download a book while away from home?

Yes. But of course I carry my own computer with me too.

Didn't answer 3G question because I don't know what 3G is. :confused:

Hi Maple_Girl! I've had a Kindle since 2007 when the originals came out, and I've had one of every type released. Hubby ordered the 3G K3 last night, and I just put a pre-order in for the Wifi model. I'll try to answer your questions.

Can't help you with this one. :)

Does anyone read in the tub? I was thinking about putting the kindle in a ziplock bag for tub/beach/pool reading. What are your thoughts?

I use a ziplock bag for in the tub & at the beach, with no problems. M-Edge has a waterproof cover, and they also have water-resistant covers. Now, those they have are for the K2s right now, but I'm sure they will develop them for the K3s. Until then - I'll use my ziplock bag. You also might be able to find a clear 'marine' waterproof bag at a local West Marine or other boating store that would work.

How do you save your page if you want to put the 'book' down? When I turn it on, will it automatically open to where I last left off?

It will stay at the page you left off on. And if you're reading multiple books/documents at a time, it will maintain your 'last read' spot for all of them.

Does anyone have this case? What do you think? Is it worth it to buy the same case with the retractable light for an extra $25?

Nobody has that cover, because it isn't available yet. :) That will be released at the same time as the Kindle 3. I would recommend a case, myself - and I LOVE the idea of the integrated light. I have the M-Edge case for my K2 right now, which does have a light, but it's not integrated quite the same way.

I think for this one, I will probably not buy a case until I see what the consensus is on the Amazon one with the light. I would definitely recommend getting the one with the light, it's great to have. I will want to see what M-Edge comes out with, though, I've had their cases for everything and I love them.

Do you think it is worth an extra $50 to get the 3G network?

That depends on how you think you will use it. For me? It makes no sense. I sideload most of my stuff, because I don't get most of it from Amazon (this means I use the USB cable and copy material from my computer to my Kindle). My Kindle is also on my husband's account, and we read the same authors. He does buy a lot from them, but I can download those through my WiFi at home (or out & about) with no problems. I keep hundreds of books on my Kindle, and I always have a computer available, so not having 3G isn't going to affect my life. Having the battery last longer is a huge plus.

If you plan to do a lot of 'spur' shopping, or anticipate you will want to be able to buy books while out & about, then I would spring for the extra $50 and get the 3G version.

Can I use the 3G on a Caribbean cruise? In open water? At port? Only certain ports?

Anywhere you can get an AT&T signal, you should be able to use the 3G. so if your ship has AT&T wireless on board, you can use it. HOWEVER - remember that you will be paying their per-minute prices for access to the network. Those prices can be expensive.

Anyone ever go to a Starbuck's or somewhere with free wi-fi and download a book while away from home?

Not yet, because Kindles in the past didn't have WiFi. :) But I'm sure we will!!

Ask away!

Didn't answer 3G question because I don't know what 3G is. :confused:

3G is the AT&T network that Kindle uses to access Amazon wirelessly - like a cellphone.

The K3s that were announced last night give you the option of 3G/WiFi or just WiFi.

Thank you both for the replies! Do you know if you can plug in a USB light to the Kindle? I have one for the laptop.

It has a Micro-USB connector, so if you have a light that will use micro-usb (or have a micro-to-standard usb converter) you may be able to, but I don't know if that micro-usb port is power out.

3G is the AT&T network that Kindle uses to access Amazon wirelessly - like a cellphone.

The K3s that were announced last night give you the option of 3G/WiFi or just WiFi.

Do I need to know this, or can I happily exist with my current knowledge? :D

[*]How do you save your page if you want to put the 'book' down? When I turn it on, will it automatically open to where I last left off?

You can also manually add a book mark -- very useful if you're reading non-fiction books that might have charts or diagrams or maps that you may want to refer to later. Makes them much easier to find again.

Been a couple of weeks now since I got my Kindle...and I swear, I don't know how I managed without one!! (Well, I do...got hundreds of books lying around here...but..) It really is a wonderful device. I've downloaded more than 50 books so far, including a host of free ones, some old classics that I've always loved but lost my copies, am looking at subscribing to a newspaper... I just love it.

Somebody asked for "constructive criticism". About the only I have is that I wish there was a way to incorporate a light into it. I understand..sort of..the issue of not having a lighted screen, but I'd love to be reading at night without having to either turn on a bedlight, or deal with the little clip on light thing.

Anyway...if that's my only criticism, I can live without the light!! :D

I hope the list of kindle books grows and grows. I may never buy another paper book again!

Somebody asked for "constructive criticism". About the only I have is that I wish there was a way to incorporate a light into it. I understand..sort of..the issue of not having a lighted screen, but I'd love to be reading at night without having to either turn on a bedlight, or deal with the little clip on light thing.

!

I've thought about getting one of these. Seems like it might be a good solution.

http://www.biggerandbrighter.com/book-lights-magnifiers/items/PB100.html?__utma=1.136684368.1280435195.1280435195.1280435195.1&__utmb=1.1.10.1280435195&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1280435195.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=page%20light%20reading&__utmv=-&__utmk=166271294

We are a multi-ereader household. I use an iPad. One person is a deep fan of Kindles. She reads her Kindle at night by shining a small light on to the wall behind her bed so that the light 'shines' down on her Kindle.

She already owned the lamp, so the cost was 0$

Been a couple of weeks now since I got my Kindle...and I swear, I don't know how I managed without one!! (Well, I do...got hundreds of books lying around here...but..) It really is a wonderful device. I've downloaded more than 50 books so far, including a host of free ones, some old classics that I've always loved but lost my copies, am looking at subscribing to a newspaper... I just love it.

Anyway...if that's my only criticism, I can live without the light!! :D

I hope the list of kindle books grows and grows. I may never buy another paper book again!

If you don't mind using a cover (and I like using a cover), M-Edge makes a cover that you can put their integrated light in, and it's wonderful. No clip on - it slides into a pocket in the cover.

If you don't mind using a cover (and I like using a cover), M-Edge makes a cover that you can put their integrated light in, and it's wonderful. No clip on - it slides into a pocket in the cover.

That's the same combo that I purchased. Works great! :p

I have been thinking of buying a kindle, but belive it or not, I still have dial up on my computer. Can you download books with dial-up or would it take forever?

You don't use your computer to download the books. You download them directly on the Kindle.

I have been thinking of buying a kindle, but belive it or not, I still have dial up on my computer. Can you download books with dial-up or would it take forever?

Books to your Kindle can be done directly on the Kindle itself or from Amazon.com.

Archived