Kindle2 on Cruise

Lynda90

Don't waste your time or money on those, I tried several different ones, from Barnes and Noble, they seem to get scratches, just from the book. Lucky they let me return each one. One of them distorted it a little. If you can't buy one locally and see if you really like it, don't bother. It's a great idea if they were of higher quality.

I got my daughter a Nook when they first came out. Now everyone in the family uses it. We took it on our last cruise and was able to get books during the cruise (has 3G). The Kindle is now being advertised for $139 though. I still love the differences in the Nook though. Just a few little things I like that make the difference. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/?cds2Pid=30195

One of the things I like is the replaceable battery. If the Kindle has a bad battery, you are out of luck. Also, since our friends have Nook's too, we share books alot.

I got my daughter a Nook when they first came out. Now everyone in the family uses it. We took it on our last cruise and was able to get books during the cruise (has 3G). The Kindle is now being advertised for $139 though. I still love the differences in the Nook though. Just a few little things I like that make the difference. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/?cds2Pid=30195

One of the things I like is the replaceable battery. If the Kindle has a bad battery, you are out of luck. Also, since our friends have Nook's too, we share books alot.

My battery died on my year old Kindle. They sent me a new Kindle.

The kindle battery is actually replaceable, just takes a little care opening the case.. That said, if under warranty they will do it for you.

Kindle's batteries are replaceable.

I do feel bad that I can't share books...but I'll just lend my friend my Kindle, I guess. :o

I'd like to gt these for Christmas presents, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the difference between the two. I mean I know it's 3G, but what does that mean? Does it mean you don't need a hotspot, but yet, you still have to be on land?

Also, one of my 'kids' is in Ireland. Amazon says I have to order from a certain page..why, would this one be different? Any point in getting the 3G one for that person, or is that only good in the US.

I'd really like to get the $139 one and give them the difference in gift certs from Amazon. I'm also considering the nook (because I think that is the one that will let you d/l from the library)..but not sure if that would work in Ireland.

Can someone set me on the right path with this wifi vs 3g stuff? Thanks.

3G means that the Kindle uses a cellular signal to download books and can be used anywhere there is a cell signal (the newer versions support international use if the carrier does - there is not a carrier in every country). Wi-fi means you have to either have a wifi network at your house or be within range of a public wi-fi network to download new books or surf the web.

As far as Ireland, that's a customs thing, you can also order the unit here and ship it yourself, but to avoid issues, if you order from the Ireland/UK site they can ship it internally and avoid customs duties, etc.

I'd like to gt these for Christmas presents, but I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the difference between the two. I mean I know it's 3G, but what does that mean? Does it mean you don't need a hotspot, but yet, you still have to be on land?

Also, one of my 'kids' is in Ireland. Amazon says I have to order from a certain page..why, would this one be different? Any point in getting the 3G one for that person, or is that only good in the US.

I'd really like to get the $139 one and give them the difference in gift certs from Amazon. I'm also considering the nook (because I think that is the one that will let you d/l from the library)..but not sure if that would work in Ireland.

Can someone set me on the right path with this wifi vs 3g stuff? Thanks.

3G means that the Kindle uses a cellular signal to download books and can be used anywhere there is a cell signal (the newer versions support international use if the carrier does - there is not a carrier in every country). Wi-fi means you have to either have a wifi network at your house or be within range of a public wi-fi network to download new books or surf the web.

As far as Ireland, that's a customs thing, you can also order the unit here and ship it yourself, but to avoid issues, if you order from the Ireland/UK site they can ship it internally and avoid customs duties, etc.

Actually, I'll be able to give it to him in person..I just wanted to make sure there were no differences..that it will work there.

So, if it has 3G, and you use it on a ship, do you have to pay the ships rates for using their tower? If those are the only differences, I can't see paying the extra $50. Everyone I would give it to has wifi, and I would assume would load up on books before going. Now..which one, the nook or the kindle LOL?

Thanks for the info.

I would expect that you wouldn't be able to use a Kindle on the shipboard 3G signal, since normally it's billed through your wireless carrier and there is no method for user airtime billing on a Kindle. When you're in port you should be able to connect to the 3G/cellular network in most countries

I would expect that you wouldn't be able to use a Kindle on the shipboard 3G signal, since normally it's billed through your wireless carrier and there is no method for user airtime billing on a Kindle. When you're in port you should be able to connect to the 3G/cellular network in most countries

The newest Kindle 3G has FREE worldwide 3G coverage, WiFi and storage for 3500 books. It also includes a full web browser. I should get mine just in time to leave on my Oct 3rd cruise - so we'll see if it works for 3G service on board.

I am so excited, just ordered my first Kindle yesterday and I'm looking forward to it arriving in a few weeks (the newest model is now back-ordered). I got the newer version, with WiFi only, no 3G wireless, but no worries as I have a router at home and will just download from there.

My sister has Kindle and a co-worker has Nook, so I've been able to read from both of them and compare. I like the Kindle better but I'm sure it's all just personal preference.

I purchased mine along with the lighted book cover.

For those of us with Nooks, here is a neat video. :D

Thanks. I usually look for the freebies on the Barnes & Noble website, write down the title and author of the ones I want, then do the search for the author on my Nook. Would never have thought of putting in the 0.00.

I have had my Kindle 2 for almost a year now and absolutely love it! It is absolutely wonderful to use for trips! I don't know what I did without it! So easy to use and I have 380 books on mine. Highly recommend and wonderful price. Since I've bought mine 4 of my friends have taken the plunge and love theirs!

I also have a friend who has a Sony and another who has the Nook so I've tried both. I like the Kindle way better. My friend with the Sony now wants the Kindle. You can get books from the library for the Nook but they are classics and can get for free mostly for the Kindle too. The Nook also can loan a book for 2 weeks only but not interested. A lot of the books I've gotten have been freebies.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference -- the Kindle is definitely for me! Best present I ever received!

There are websites available where you can get both free and books for purchase for the kindle other than amazon.com. Just do a search and other sites come up. I've been downloading books from a site called smashwords.com as well as amazon.

There are websites available where you can get both free and books for purchase for the kindle other than amazon.com. Just do a search and other sites come up. I've been downloading books from a site called smashwords.com as well as amazon.

I found the site Lynda. Now I need a tutorial on how to download to Kindle. You as a new user are so far ahead of me. ;)

One more question about the Kindle2. I don't have wireless where I live, so does that mean if I get the Kindle2 with wireless/3G I would use the 3G from home to download books? Is there a charge for this from a cellular service? And if so, can I just go somewhere where there is WiFi like a public library or Starbucks and download the books? (I know these are kind of dumb questions) but I have never owned any other electronic devices, just a laptop at home with dial-up. Thanks.:confused:

I found the site Lynda. Now I need a tutorial on how to download to Kindle. You as a new user are so far ahead of me. ;)

Pia, here is a link for some support for this. You can also click on the youtube video which is shown on the page. It took me awhile to finally get it right. Good luck! http://www.smashwords.com/about/supportfaq#Kindle

One more question about the Kindle2. I don't have wireless where I live, so does that mean if I get the Kindle2 with wireless/3G I would use the 3G from home to download books? Is there a charge for this from a cellular service?
Assuming you have an AT&T cellular signal available at your home you'd just download the books directly into the Kindle over that signal. No additional charge.

Archived