Cost of photos

Belease

I'm trying to budget in advance for our cruise (fun fun!) and I wanted to work out how much money to put aside for photos. I'd love to purchase some onboard, so I wondered what the options were and how much they cost? Are their special offers and so on?

Thanks for your help!

I'm trying to budget in advance for our cruise (fun fun!) and I wanted to work out how much money to put aside for photos. I'd love to purchase some onboard, so I wondered what the options were and how much they cost? Are their special offers and so on?

Thanks for your help!

Can't remember but not cheap.

An 8X10 will run you about $20. 5X7 was $15 if I recall correctly. Some of the formal ones might be more. Photos on the ship are pretty expensive. One nice advantage if you want a formal portrait done, is that you can have them taken and if you do not like them, there is no obligation to buy.

Tim

I guess I must be in the enviable (:p) position of having paid far far too much for my photos over the years, because that sounds about what I thought! Thanks very much for your input, it'll come in really handy planning my budget.

I love the photos taken on board when we cruise. They are expensive though as TOTO2KANSAS stated. Try to think which ones you really, really like - perhaps a formal one or the ones they take at dinner time. I never take the one on embarkation day - but as the cruise goes on and the tan gets better - the better the pictures look. L0L

I would definitely save room in your budget for them though. Their quality is excellent. Ones I've bought 10 years ago look as good as the ones I bought last year. I don't consider them a waste of money either because it's a memory made, you look happy and healthy and it's part of the cruise experience for us.

Princess does funny things with their photos. they print the picture about 5x8, and then on the edge do a wallet size, plus a wallet size of the ship. And charge $19.95. I had a photo credit from my TA, and to get a free pic I would have had to have them cut off the wallets. With the picture, they offer a free magnet or keychain to put the little pictures in. Next cruise, I am going to ask if they will cut off the little ones and I can have the 5x8 for less...EM

Is there a way to purchase all the pictures on a CD and print them on my own? I thought I had read somewhere that you could have that option.

I've never seen that offered. I did have ALL the pictures in my camera put on a CD for only $10 while on the Pacific in January. The "casual" pix cost $19.95 (boarding/port pix), but the "formal" or posed pictures are $25 or so. We just got off the CB and I have to say for whatever reason, every picture was a beauty. That's never happened before, so it was very tempting to purchase too many. What happens to the unpurchased pictures?

I can't remember what the costs of the photos were, but for the photos you purchased, you could buy the electronic copies for $10 each plus $5 for a USB stick if you did not have your own. You did have to buy the printed 8x10s first though.

Have fun on your trip.

Towards the end of your cruise the photo shop will offer a special on printing your images from photos that you have taken. If I recall...they charge 15c each. This is comparable :) to what I pay at the local Costco...a good deal since when I print my own, between paper and ink the cost is nearly that.

As an aside; I enjoy doing photography-like darkroom work. I carry a laptop with Photoshop Elements installed. A very relaxing 'sea day' is to sit on our balcony, an umbrella shading the screen and editing the images. I also add titles to the pictures to save trying to remember where the photo was taken. And the best part of doing this: When you get home and are anxious to share the pictures, you're all ready!

Towards the end of your cruise the photo shop will offer a special on printing your images from photos that you have taken. If I recall...they charge 15c each. This is comparable :) to what I pay at the local Costco...a good deal since when I print my own, between paper and ink the cost is nearly that.

As an aside; I enjoy doing photography-like darkroom work. I carry a laptop with Photoshop Elements installed. A very relaxing 'sea day' is to sit on our balcony, an umbrella shading the screen and editing the images. I also add titles to the pictures to save trying to remember where the photo was taken. And the best part of doing this: When you get home and are anxious to share the pictures, you're all ready!

This sounds like something I would like to do. If only I could get my DH to let me download the photos to a computer. :) I'm still waiting for the January cruise ones.

Archived