WARNING HAL IA cabins are not as advertised

Duwayne

What is it u don't understand about the term 'approximate'?

i have full command of the english language, but since you (and apparently HAL) do/does not:

ap·prox·i·mate(schwa.gif-probreve.gifkprime.gifsschwa.gif-mibreve.gift)

adj.

1. Almost exact or correct: the approximate time of the accident.

2. Very similar; closely resembling: sketched an approximate likeness of the suspect.

in no way are the standard insides and large insides approximate in size.

Why someone would book these obviously smaller cabins is beyond me. As someone else said on another thread, HAL put 'lipstick on a pig' by marketing these as 'spa' cabins. I also don't understand why anyone would pay a dollar extra for the 'spa amenities', but it is their money and their vacation. However, since they are a specific category, HAL should have a more accurate estimate of the size range. But, if there is even 1, on any ship, that is 180 sq ft, HAL could rightfully say the range is 140-180 sq ft. I'm sure we'd still have people complaining when they booked an obviously small cabin.

This is just one more example of the inaccuracies on the HAL site. A year or so ago a newbie was arguing that 'HAL knows what they are selling'. She was adamant. EVERYTHING on HAL's site was 100% accurate as far as she was concerned. Hopefully by now she has seen for herself that isn't the case.

Spa Suites & Staterooms
Opt for the serenity of a new Spa Suite or Stateroom, featuring modern spa amenities such as yoga mats, an iPod® docking station, and a countertop water feature in-room. Also available are exclusive spa treatments from the nearby Greenhouse Spa and Salon.
The "exclusive spa treatments" are (of course) an additional charge. The person I know who was upgraded to a 'spa' cabin had her steward remove the 'amenities' as they took up too much valuable desktop space and the water feature (when running) increased her urges to use the restroom. ;)

Hello "Jade13"

I’m not RevNeal, but I do have the link about your request – and it’s exactly the cabin we have chosen for our last MS Noordam cruise, and it will be our cabin in 3 days on your MS Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.

Just have a look here…

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=951904

...and post # 7 shows some pictures about. It is a G cabin with partial sea view and is on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam on Deck 4.

The view calls obstructed, but you have quiet a lot of view.;)

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

136 days - 34'665 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

3+7 / 10-day Mediterranean Prelude & Inaugural Cruise :

3555772246558c9c770ebc7e38eba56d.png

12-day Mediterranean Empires :

a4ed661628a8d0b24f580e2daed576d0.png

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Yes, indeed. I've had a G category partly-obstructed cabin on the Upper Promenade Deck on both the Eurodam and on the Noordam, and loved it on both occasions. The price was comparable to most inside cabins (just a few dozen dollars different, but the size and arrangement of the stateroom was far superior. Here are photos:

Noordam:

cabin1.jpg

cabin2.jpg

cabin4.jpg

I'll put the Eurodam photos on the next post.

Thanks! I really like these spaces, especially on the Noordam, although on Noordam we did have a Verandah. I wonder if there is anything like this on the smaller ships as the Verandahs get really pricey. I am thinking of the Veendam and Maasdam. They have, or are getting, the Lani staterooms but they are being priced closer to the Verandahs.

Blame the shareholders then and there are lots on CC that are..because if HAL fails to make a proft they don't benefit..and they then wld be even more unhappy! Seems HAL can't win...

But please, these are rants not rational comments..HAL is offering a product & just because some folks don't like the size of it u feel HAL deserves this kind of 'tongue lashing'??

Seems IMO anyway, u are merely 'playing to an audience'... :/

I am a CLL shareholder and also someone who takes business ethics seriously. I am also a former controller and truly understand the bottom line. What I don't understand is the current business environment that suggests all behavior from not doing appropriate safety inspections to deceptive advertising is OK. Wasn't in my firm and we still made a profit and our shareholders were not only happy but proud that we lived up to our mission statement. It really isn't that hard to do the right thing. Not sure what you mean by "playing to an audience".

G-Category partly-obstructed cabin on the Eurodam:

gcabin01.jpg

gcabin03.jpg

gcabin04.jpg

gcabin08.jpg

gcabin13.jpg

Hey, RevNeal, thanks! I think these staterooms are bargains based on price and comparison to inside configurations.

One question though.....

When I sit in an exit row on a plane, I'm always asked if I'm willing and able to open the emergency door. If you occupy one of these cabins, do you have the same obligation in respect to the lifeboats?

SeaDays

I am a CLL shareholder and also someone who takes business ethics seriously. I am also a former controller and truly understand the bottom line. What I don't understand is the current business environment that suggests all behavior from not doing appropriate safety inspections to deceptive advertising is OK. Wasn't in my firm and we still made a profit and our shareholders were not only happy but proud that we lived up to our mission statement. It really isn't that hard to do the right thing. Not sure what you mean by "playing to an audience".

We don't even know here if the measurement given by phone to the OP is even accurate. I am not debating that those who have seen the staterooms say they are smaller than others, but the actual Verandah's in the VA category Verandah staterooms we have had on Deck 7 of Westerdam and Noordam are smaller than Verandah staterooms on lower decks. The point is that the higher price is for the (better/higher) location in HAL"s pricing scheme. I believe those Spa insides are more money because of their location near the Spa.

I still say that "approx" 180 square feet can be "approx" 150 square feet, etc. but do think that HAL would be better off giving the lower measurements. Also, a stateroom will appear smaller if the area where the bed is located is smaller but the hallway is wider but two rooms are actually "approx" the same square footage.

i have full command of the english language, but since you (and apparently HAL) do/does not:

ap·prox·i·mate(schwa.gif-probreve.gifkprime.gifsschwa.gif-mibreve.gift)

adj.

1. Almost exact or correct: the approximate time of the accident.

2. Very similar; closely resembling: sketched an approximate likeness of the suspect.

in no way are the standard insides and large insides approximate in size.

U may not like or approve of the range which is the companies choice by the way - it is their product after all but approximately does apply to the size ranges!

Hey, RevNeal, thanks! I think these staterooms are bargains based on price and comparison to inside configurations.

One question though.....

When I sit in an exit row on a plane, I'm always asked if I'm willing and able to open the emergency door. If you occupy one of these cabins, do you have the same obligation in respect to the lifeboats?

LOL! EXCELLENT question! No ... the windows don't open. :) But ... talk about immediate access!!!!! :D

Archived