WARNING HAL IA cabins are not as advertised

Duwayne

Hi all,

I just wanted to echo a warning that was posted about the Veendam IA class cabins and confirm that, at least on Eurodam, the same problem exists. We had booked IA 10044 for the 10/6 sailing from Quebec. The fare summary page listed the cabin as IA - Large Avg 185 Sq Ft That's a direct copy from their site. My TA also said that this was the case. I booked directly through HAL as they had given us some incentives to sail with them again and then transferred it to my TA. I wanted to show my wife where we would be staying so I Googled the room # and found DBA's pictures of the room clearly showing it to be a standard inside. I tried to call reservations but they sent me to Services who tried to send me back to reservations, but they did confirm that the room was only 152 sq ft. My TA also contacted me saying that although it was stated to be a large room on her site, when she went into the booking section it was listed as standard. I finally got some contact information on someone in the corporate offices and called them to see what could be done. They were most gracious and appologized for the misunderstanding and admitted that they had a number of reports of these rooms being advertised as much bigger than they were. I guess there is one place on their site that identifies it as standard but it is not on any of the main or booking pages. They said they "were looking into it". I noticed that it still said the same thing today so I figured I would post this warning. I'm sure changing things is a slow process in a corp that size.

If you check out a deck plan diagram, you can tell that the IA's are smaller than the I's on the Navigation Deck and the J's and K's on the Main Deck. Someone on my most recent cruise said that they have their agent check with HAL to find out the actual square footage.

IA and I are also listed as Large or Standard so anyone booking those staterooms need to know what they are actually getting before booking.

You are correct about the IA's being the highest priced of the the Insides. Even higher than the Large Inside I on the Navigation Deck.

One of the problems not mentioned here is that all/most of the staterooms are getting smaller starting with Eurodam and apparently after the retrofits such as on Veendam. Perhaps HAL is not updating their plans on their web site.

Also, I have done real estate deals where "approx" can be a large range.

One of the problems not mentioned here is that all/most of the staterooms are getting smaller starting with Eurodam

That's not exactly true. The cabins on the E-dam are the same size as the comparable cabins on the Vista class ships. And, with few exceptions, the cabins on Vista and Signature ships are smaller than cabins in the same category on S- and R-class ships.

Prinsendam, which is the oldest ship in the fleet, has smaller cabins than even the Vista/Signature ships.

The only truly "large" inside staterooms on a Vista or Signature ship are the J and K cabins on Main Deck (and ONLY those Js and Ks that are found on Main deck ... those on the higher-up decks are much smaller, even though they are of the same category) and the I cabins on the Navigation Deck amidships. I've stayed in the Js on Main deck and LOVE those cabins. I've also visited a friend in an I cabin up on the Navigation deck and DO confirm that those cabins are large (pretty much like the large insides on the S and R ships).

For what one pays, the better bet is to get an outside cabin with floor to ceiling window and a partially obstructed view. If I couldn't get a J, and didn't want to spring for a balcony, that's what I would do on a Vista or a Signature ship. Indeed, that's what I've DONE in the past.

The only truly "large" inside staterooms on a Vista or Signature ship are the J and K cabins on Main Deck (and ONLY those Js and Ks that are found on Main deck ... those on the higher-up decks are much smaller, even though they are of the same category) and the I cabins on the Navigation Deck amidships. I've stayed in the Js on Main deck and LOVE those cabins. I've also visited a friend in an I cabin up on the Navigation deck and DO confirm that those cabins are large (pretty much like the large insides on the S and R ships).

For what one pays, the better bet is to get an outside cabin with floor to ceiling window and a partially obstructed view. If I couldn't get a J, and didn't want to spring for a balcony, that's what I would do on a Vista or a Signature ship. Indeed, that's what I've DONE in the past.

Hi Rev! I recall you had a link to one of this OV with obstructed views and the window was LARGE (floor to ceiling) and it was more impressive than any OV we have had (we go for location usually on a higher deck).

One of the problems not mentioned here is that all/most of the staterooms are getting smaller starting with Eurodam and apparently after the retrofits such as on Veendam. Perhaps HAL is not updating their plans on their web site.

Also, I have done real estate deals where "approx" can be a large range.[/QUOTE]

I grew up in the produce business. A "ton of watermelons" could range from 1700 to 2300 pounds depending on the market at the time.

(2300 was about as much as we could put on a halfton PU; even then had to sell some potatos to ride on the front fenders!:D

No, Rutland. We expect to get what is advertised. All other businesses are held to that.

What was said is true - u do get what u pay for and as the size is advertised as 'approximate' and it is a 'spa' not a normal inside cabin - that is exactly what the OP paid for!

Now, I agree and wld also prefer that HAL ought to be more forthcoming with the 'true' size but they are under no obligation to be that accurate (approx. covers a lot of sizes) and they likely don't really want to give the 'actual' size because those cabins will then be harder to sell..and they are in the business of selling cabins..any way they can!

Hello "Jade13"

I’m not RevNeal, but I do have the link about your request – and it’s exactly the cabin we have chosen for our last MS Noordam cruise, and it will be our cabin in 3 days on your MS Nieuw Amsterdam cruise.

Just have a look here…

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=951904

...and post # 7 shows some pictures about. It is a G cabin with partial sea view and is on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam on Deck 4.

The view calls obstructed, but you have quiet a lot of view.;)

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

MS Noordam – Mediterranean Enchantment – September 2009

136 days - 34'665 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

3+7 / 10-day Mediterranean Prelude & Inaugural Cruise :

3555772246558c9c770ebc7e38eba56d.png

12-day Mediterranean Empires :

a4ed661628a8d0b24f580e2daed576d0.png

Hi Rev! I recall you had a link to one of this OV with obstructed views and the window was LARGE (floor to ceiling) and it was more impressive than any OV we have had (we go for location usually on a higher deck).

Yes, indeed. I've had a G category partly-obstructed cabin on the Upper Promenade Deck on both the Eurodam and on the Noordam, and loved it on both occasions. The price was comparable to most inside cabins (just a few dozen dollars different, but the size and arrangement of the stateroom was far superior. Here are photos:

Noordam:

cabin1.jpg

cabin2.jpg

cabin4.jpg

I'll put the Eurodam photos on the next post.

You get what you pay for.

What was said is true - u do get what u pay for and as the size is advertised as 'approximate' and it is a 'spa' not a normal inside cabin - that is exactly what the OP paid for!

Now, I agree and wld also prefer that HAL ought to be more forthcoming with the 'true' size but they are under no obligation to be that accurate (approx. covers a lot of sizes) and they likely don't really want to give the 'actual' size because those cabins will then be harder to sell..and they are in the business of selling cabins..any way they can!

two wrongs don't make a right.

the OP did not get what they paid for, as they booked a 'large' and were assigend a 'standard'. honesty is a pretty simple concept, i fail to see why HAL is having such a hard time with this.

I have booked an "E" cabin on the Prinsendam and was told they are the same size(181-191 ft) as the "C" and "D" cabins and if windowed have the same size windows.

Is this correct?:confused:

While updating the Prinsendam pages on the HAL Stateroom/Cabins web site on the 29th I noted the following:

Full Ocean-View Category: C*, D, E, F*, G*

* This category has more than one view type. Please use stateroom number to verify view.

They are all listed as : Approximately 181-191 sq. ft.

Joanie

And that attitude, I fear, is the what is so wrong with business today. No obligation to the customer, to the employee, to the community. Do whatever it takes to generate revenue. How BP.

Agree with onthegogirl, ctheworld and others who do not believe the OP got what he/she paid for.... the spa insides are the most expensive cabins & they certainly do not sound like they are appropriately priced based on what you "get." It's sad really that a company with an expensive product does not consider it important to be accurate. People have a choice where they spend their vacation time & money and it does not seem that cruisers would choose to sail in these inside spa cabins - at the current price point - if the true story were told.

Further, truth in advertising is required by law.

Thanks OP for the warning... and Rev Neal for the helpful information & photos regarding the nice cabins on the Nordam and the Eurodam

And that attitude, I fear, is the what is so wrong with business today. No obligation to the customer, to the employee, to the community. Do whatever it takes to generate revenue. How BP.

The wise people who monitor these threads have thrown me off for less than this. I pay for Deluxe Cabins, always have, and I don't share them with the lowest priced customers. Throw me off again!

Blame the shareholders then and there are lots on CC that are..because if HAL fails to make a proft they don't benefit..and they then wld be even more unhappy! Seems HAL can't win...

But please, these are rants not rational comments..HAL is offering a product & just because some folks don't like the size of it u feel HAL deserves this kind of 'tongue lashing'??

Seems IMO anyway, u are merely 'playing to an audience'... :/

two wrongs don't make a right.

the OP did not get what they paid for, as they booked a 'large' and were assigend a 'standard'. honesty is a pretty simple concept, i fail to see why HAL is having such a hard time with this.

What is it u don't understand about the term 'approximate'?

Archived