Jellyfish?

DonnaK

I've been reading that there are serious jellyfish issues (including the dangerous portuguese men-of-war) at Bermuda's beaches now. Can any recent visitors or residents provide an update on the conditions?

Aside from the flare up of jellyfish we had a few weeks ago, where they had to close one of the beaches for a few hours (which is very rare by the way), I've not heard anything since. Around this time of year, you'll always get one or two jellyfish at the beaches on the South Shore such as Horseshoe and Church Bay anyway, however, they're rare at places like Tobacco Bay.

Back last night from Bermuda via the Veedham. YES, there are Jellyfish right now! Horseshoe bay was teeming with them and a sign posted a warning and what to do if stung. The beach was not closed, but there were park ranger-like guys picking them up so that folks didn't step on them.

Sorry...Jellies are going to be in areas where you find sea turtles..that's just a fact of nature....

Back last night from Bermuda via the Veedham. YES, there are Jellyfish right now! Horseshoe bay was teeming with them and a sign posted a warning and what to do if stung. The beach was not closed, but there were park ranger-like guys picking them up so that folks didn't step on them.

Sorry...Jellies are going to be in areas where you find sea turtles..that's just a fact of nature....

Really?

How come no one ever reports seeing sea turtles at Horseshoe Bay?

There are turtles around Bermuda. During mating season, turtles eat a LOT of jelly fish. Hence, where you find one, the other isn't too far away. Why don't you see them at Horseshoe bay? Hmmmmm.....all I saw there was HUGE crowds of people and jellyfish (mostly washed up on shore and being picked up). If I were a turtle, I think I'd be looking for a slightly less crowded place....which we ended up doing, anyway!

There are turtles around Bermuda. During mating season, turtles eat a LOT of jelly fish. Hence, where you find one, the other isn't too far away. Why don't you see them at Horseshoe bay? Hmmmmm.....all I saw there was HUGE crowds of people and jellyfish (mostly washed up on shore and being picked up).

Yes, leatherbacks find jellyfish delectable but the green turtle is the most common around Bermuda and except for in their younger days, they are strict vegetarians......vegans. :D

If I were a turtle, I think I'd be looking for a slightly less crowded place....which we ended up doing, anyway!

Did you see any turtles there?

I've been reading that there are serious jellyfish issues (including the dangerous portuguese men-of-war) at Bermuda's beaches now. Can any recent visitors or residents provide an update on the conditions?

My dh and I have been to Bermuda 5 times...We have been in June and July...we have been to Horseshoe bay....Tobacco bay...St. Catherine's....Snorkel park... and a couple others I can't remember right now... and NEVER...:D not once in 5 times have ever seen a jellyfish or man-of-war. I know they do get them..I guess we are lucky with timing.:D

Up until last weekend we had had winds out of the south for quite a while - these bring the jellyfish into the South Shore beaches as they tend to travel with the winds and the currents - but we had a front go through on Friday (which brought an inch and a half of much-needed rain, thank goodness) and now the winds are westerly and veering northerly so there isn't such a problem. I was on Elbow Beach this morning and there was not a single jellyfish to be seen.

Go to http://www.weather.bm to check the weather and wind direction.

I really wish people would learn the difference between a jellyfish and a man o war. Jolly speaks of jellies that are guided by the wind but jellies are underwater creatures who swim and man o war have an inflated sail on the surface of the water and trailing tentacles under the water and are guided mostly by wind. These are the creatures you see washed up on the beach and are still capable of stinging after being high and dry for hours. Those same creatures who were blown past Bermuda last week are showing up on the northern side of the island with the north winds we've seen recently and that will explain the lack of man o wars or "jellyfish" on Elbow beach.

Sousa speaks of a flare up of jellyfish a few weeks ago. There was no flare up of anything! Everything here is nearly normal-no extra man o wars or less than normal. The beach was shut down because someone overreacted plain and simple.

At no small expense and not without very minor danger to my personal safety and well-being tomorrow I shall venture into the sea immediately surrounding these great isles to seek and photograph no less than three (3) jellyfish (latin phylum cnidaria) species and the Portuguese Man-o-War (latin physalis physalis).

Of the 3 jellies, one can sting and the other two are harmless.

Apologies bdaguy, I did not realise there was a difference between jellies and portuguese man o'war - you learn something new every day. Thankfully, I have only ever experienced the minor sting from a jelly when swimming on South Shore ;) All the best with your photography - hope you get some good shots and will share some with all of us here.

I wouldn't say they 'freaked out', considering 15 people were stung by noon on the day they closed Horseshoe. I'd rather not have lifeguards preoccupied with dealing with stings from jellies and portuguese man o'war on a beach like Horseshoe, which can have a strong undertow sometimes, and am glad they closed the beach, if only for a few hours. Here is the article from the paper if anyone is interested

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?sectionId=60&articleId=7da692730030044

• 2 weeks later...

Archived