Need advice on best strategies for booking rooms for multigenerational family cruise

mascara

My family has never been on an "adult" family vacation before, but my mother has really tried to make this happen the last few years. The result is that in 2012 (I know, very far off), we've agreed to all go on an Alaskan cruise. There are four households and 10 people in the following arrangement: One couple (no kids), one couple with one 16 year old, one couple with two kids, 6 and 9; and one single adult.

My mother has expressed unhappiness at being alone in a cabin, but the kids want to be with their parents. What I'm wondering is if there are times when putting five in a suite makes fiscal sense, when the other option is a single cruiser paying a single supplement? This also gives all of us a much larger space to "hang out" in together. Or,is it better to put one kid in the cabin with my mother to eliminate the single supplement, and then just switch the child when we get onboard?

Has anyone done something similar and learned some tips and tricks? Has anyone done something similar and thought they'd do it differently? Has someone done something completely different that I should be considering? Usually it's just my husband and I, or us and the in-laws, so it's easy to book. This is a group of people who have never cruised before (except us). When the time comes, yes, I'll get a TA, I know I'm going to need one of those, but for now I thank you all in advance for your advice.

Once you're booked, you can rearrange who's in which room...as much as you'd like...they do NOT care who sleeps where! Divying up the beds is really for booking purposes only!

Can the single cruiser room with your mom? That would avoid the "single supplement" charge.

If you and your mom get cabins close by, the kids might enjoy a "PJ party" with grandma on some nights!

Your TA will really be able to help you get the right cabins, in the perfect locations for everyone....

Some lines will have 2 bedroom "suites" and that may be an option for at least some of your party....

Once you're booked, you can rearrange who's in which room...as much as you'd like...they do NOT care who sleeps where! Divying up the beds is really for booking purposes only!

Can the single cruiser room with your mom? That would avoid the "single supplement" charge.

If you and your mom get cabins close by, the kids might enjoy a "PJ party" with grandma on some nights!

Your TA will really be able to help you get the right cabins, in the perfect locations for everyone....

Some lines will have 2 bedroom "suites" and that may be an option for at least some of your party....

It sounds to me that the single adult is in fact the mom. Is this right?

How about getting connecting cabins (they have a door inside the cabin to connect the 2 rooms) for you & your mom....this way she won't be alone as you guys can leave the door open but then shut it for sleeping and showersw, etc.

You have several things to consider here:

Unless you book a designated family suite, you will not be able to put five people in it. And not many ships have them, and on those they are rare.

If you want your son to sleep in your cabin, even if he is booked in with grandma, you will have to book a cabin for three. And cruise lines may not be willing to book a triple cabin for two people. Definitely, you need a TA. EM

You have several things to consider here:

Unless you book a designated family suite, you will not be able to put five people in it. And not many ships have them, and on those they are rare.

If you want your son to sleep in your cabin, even if he is booked in with grandma, you will have to book a cabin for three. And cruise lines may not be willing to book a triple cabin for two people. Definitely, you need a TA. EM

EM, yes, my mom is the single.

The issue regarding booking a family or full suite vs individual rooms is exactly what I'm inquiring about. Both regarding cost and also intangibles. Thanks!

There are quite a number of things to consider - is there another person who might accompany your mother - best friend, sister, etc? Are you all determined that Alaska is the itinerary?

Overall, (I am not a big NCL fan for personal reasons) the new NCL EPIC has single staterooms that share a corrider and a lounge with bar and concierge. It is well priced and seems to be fashioned to give single travelers a little extra feeling of security. But, the ship doesn't look like it will do Alaska.

Holland America does charge a single supplement but says it is not as steep as other lines. I don't have personal knowledge of this but know a single lady and this is her cruise line of choice. HAL definately does go to Alaska.

In reading your post, it seems like your mother doesn't be alone in the cabin at night - that is more the issue than the single supplement. Perhaps by 2012, one or more of the kids will be willing to spend a night with grandma on a rotating basis. You definately want cabins close together and, seriously, you all as adult couples want your own cabins.

Whatever the solution, you want all your cabins in close proximity and probably need to agree to an overall cost per person in choosing the specific ship/line anyway.

Good luck, you have some time and I am sure it will all work out fine.

I would book a kid in the room with your mom to avoid the single supplement, then try to book a connecting room.

When our group of 12 went on the Miracle in April, we had 5 balcony cabins in a row and had 4 of the connected by opening the balcony dividers. 2 of our group smoked and didn't want to open theirs so it wouldn't bother us...we didn't care. lol Anyway, our ages were 80yrs old down to 3 yrs old. 4 in our cabin, 3 other couples (my parents, my gparents and DH's gparents, then 2 single women friends. Everyone had their own rooms, but we often ended up hanging out on the balcony's while getting ready for dinner, excursions, in the morning, etc.

We had same/similar dilemma on multi-generational cruise. Our TA was fabulous in helping us untangle the different scenarios and we were able to get the cabins we wanted and he showed us how to actually save money while acquiring an additional cabin. They can give you the best tips. Even though we've been on 9 cruises, ours is amazing and always comes up with the perfect solution. We've had adjoining cabins, balconies with inside's directly across from us, etc. Use the experts...it doesn't cost you anything.

Archived