The QE (Queen Elizabeth) coming to NYC today.......

BklynBoy8

Well, Queen Elizabeth (not the soon to be christened ship) will be visiting NYC today.

She is arriving early this afternoon to visit the UN. Lunching in the Waldorf and later visiting Ground Zero. Later will be visiting a garden being dedicated to British Citizens lost on 9-11 located near Ground Zero called the "British Garden" at Hanover Square.

The Queen will be departing around 7:30PM.

Sounds like those staying at the Waldorf would see a buzz of activity related to her dining there.

Wonder if the Queen knows that the QM2 is going to be located just across the harbor from Manhattan (Wall St. - Ground Zero) in Redhook today.

What a Royal Visit that would have been for the Passengers on this Transatlantic Crossing.

Well, Queen Elizabeth (not the soon to be christened ship) will be visiting NYC today.

She is arriving early this afternoon to visit the UN. Lunching in the Waldorf and later visiting Ground Zero. Later will be visiting a garden being dedicated to British Citizens lost on 9-11 located near Ground Zero called the "British Garden" at Hanover Square.

The Queen will be departing around 7:30PM.

Sounds like those staying at the Waldorf would see a buzz of activity related to her dining there.

Wonder if the Queen knows that the QM2 is going to be located just across the harbor from Manhattan (Wall St. - Ground Zero) in Redhook today.

What a Royal Visit that would have been for the Passengers on this Transatlantic Crossing.

Funny you should mention the last items. I just mentioned to my partner, that with a little planning the Queen might have sailed home rather than having to go by private jet. Not the Britannia, but can you imagine the buzz if she had done so. Now that would be a crossing to remember. Of course, aside from the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, I am not aware of any of the royals having gone on an extended voyage on any of the Cunard ships.

And she'll be in Oman & The UAE (where the QE2 is moored in Dubai) in the autumn - so if its October, QEII might miss naming QE(II) because she's off seeing QE2!

Peter, surely that should read "QEII might miss naming QEToo because she's off seeing QE2.

:D:D

J

aside from the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, I am not aware of any of the royals having gone on an extended voyage on any of the Cunard ships.

IIRC, the Queen Mother crossed to the USA on one of the Queens - after the Windsors had defected to the SS United States....

Just saw Her Majesty The Queen on local NYC news, wearing a beautiful hat as usual. But with temperatures now over 100 degrees F in lower Manhattan, I can't help but think Her Majesty should be wearing a pith helmet! God save The Queen (especially in this heat!):eek:.

Her Majesty is on her way back to Scotland, so I suppose The Queen doesn't have the time to cross the Atlantic on the Queen. Pity, that. :)

Cheers,

Salacia

Her Majesty managed to change her dress as well as her hat on the short flight from Toronto. At first I wished the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would take Queen Mary 2 across the Atlantic. But two major problems come to mind. It has been reported that The Queen does not like rough seas and, however stable QM2 is, that is always going to be a risk. Although she frequently travelled on board HMY Britannia (and indeed I have watched the Queen arrive in Toronto on board the royal yacht) the Queen normally flew the long distances to "the dominions beyond the seas" and used the yacht more like a floating hotel in fairly calm waters. The other problem would be the logistics of the Queen and the Duke travelling on a ship in regular service. Essentially they would be confined to the Balmoral or Sandringham suites for the entire week. Comfortable though those suites must be, the Queen and the Duke are very active (despite being 84 and 89 years of age respectively) and I'm sure they would be bored to tears. I spent the last three days following and photographing the royal tour in Toronto and I was exhausted trying to keep up with them. I watched the royal couple climb a long flight of stairs and they did so faster than I could, and I'm quite a bit younger than they are. So being confined to such a relatively small space just wouldn't be feasible.

Archived