Ruby Guarantee Balcony

Iceberg2

Has anyone had luck with a great upgrade by booking a Balcony Guarantee?

99% if the time, my guess is that you will be assigned a balcony cabin with the same configuration. Every once in awhile, someone is upgraded to a mini suite, but the percentage is quite low for those you were upgraded to the next category type. Good Luck though! ;)

On Emerald 10.9.2010. Booked Bal guar. Have been assigned Lido254 which I am quite happy with. It is listed as BA. Last cruise in Jan. 2009 booked guar. and got Rivieria 501 which was a great room . Listed as BB.

Booked a BC guarantee - got assigned a BB on Caribe deck. Once we saw the balconies were larger on Caribe deck than other decks with category B balcony cabins, we skipped gambling on the guarantee and just book the cabin we want on caribe deck.

Since then, we have never found the price difference to be that great between category B cabins to really justify booking a guarantee over the cabin of our choosing...

Has anyone had luck with a great upgrade by booking a Balcony Guarantee?
A "great" upgrade would mean being upgraded to a mini-suite and this rarely happens. It does happen, but not often. Chances are that you'll receive the cabin type you've booked, i.e., a standard cabin with a balcony. The difference in cabin categories is the location. If you're assigned a balcony cabin on Caribe deck, that would be an upgrade as the balcony size is 2x as big but other than that, you will have the exact same cabin type/size in perhaps a different location. Sometimes that location is good, sometimes bad; that's the chance you take. For instance, you could be under a public deck where you'll hear noise late at night and very early in the morning (like 5am) with people walking, chairs being moved, decks being power washed. Some people like that location because it's near the pool and buffet but you couldn't pay me to take one of those. Been there, done that, never again.

Keep in mind that cabin categories are based on "perception" as to what is a better location; somehow, people think the higher the deck, the better the location but that's not always the case. Just ask Toto about her recent "upgrade" to a full suite.

Archived