Horrendous Customer Service

I really dont get the rush to defend Carnival and blow off anyone who says they need to vent over customer service.

Maybe its a sign of the times, that so many think its fine that people are rude. Are the people defending Carnival very young and just brought up differently than us in the older generation?

Iv also got to admit when I came here with a problem and everyone said, just quit cruising Carnival and move on ... really bugged me... what are these people thinking that they think its up to them to tell you how to react??!! Thats my reaction to folks telling me I have to just quit cruising and not allowed to come here and vent.

Are people just unable to feel any sympathy?? No feelings?? Let people vent. They are allowed to criticize your favorite cruiseline.

I posted this exact point on another thread, fire. The folks who EXPECT the customer service are those say, 35 and older. Back when customer service literally could wipe a company off the map. I will be 47 years old in a couple of months and I have seen the changes to be sure. What is different for me, and perhaps not others, is my ability to adapt to societal changes. The simple fact is, this ISN'T the 50s or 60s, customer service does not make or break big companies anymore. I pointed out Wal-Mart as an example, but Apple is the same way. People (Apple addicts, lol, I know hundreds of them) absolutely HATE their business practices but buy Apple products anyway. Some on the other hand (like me) won't go near an Apple product for that same reason. In today's day of information it truly has become a society of "don't like it, move on." If I had seen any temper tantrum effect a change in a company the size of Carnival I might feel differently. But the fact is, our tantrums aren't going to change anything. The proof is in the pudding (and history). So, that leaves me with, continue to stay bound up in the (useless) drama, or move on. I personally choose the latter. We "old timers" bear the responsibility of either adapting to today's changing times or continue to perpetuate the whining. I've yet to see the whining help anything.

If there was another cruiseline with full time service out of Galveston, I would have moved on. The fact is there isnt. I really thought hard about it after that cruise, but I had 3 more booked, which would have cost me money to cancel.

I agree its the Carnival mindset, that they assume there will be new cruisers to replace anyone who moves on. They are a entry level cruiseline and dont value loyalty very much. The truth is, for us, there isnt another choice unless we quit cruising or fly somewhere. I blame Carnival's bean counters.

Why don't you cruise from Miami, NOLA, Tampa. Is it that it would cost you money to get there. Are you not a bean counter too?

OP and others: If and when you call customer service, at any company, what are you expecting as a resolution to the problem.

In this case:

1. On board credit

2. Refund of monies paid to company

3. Refund of monies paid to other companies (Airfare)

4. Paid ticket to go with a competitor

5. Monies for the hassle you now have to go through.

If you are expecting more than 1 and 2 then you will always feel that customer service is bad.

OP: Why did you choose Carnival in the first place? My bet, cost.

1. Why not the 9 day RCCL on Nov 4th for only $665.

2. You didn't have to pay for airfare.

I really dont get the rush to defend Carnival and blow off anyone who says they need to vent over customer service.

Maybe its a sign of the times, that so many think its fine that people are rude. Are the people defending Carnival very young and just brought up differently than us in the older generation?

Iv also got to admit when I came here with a problem and everyone said, just quit cruising Carnival and move on ... really bugged me... what are these people thinking that they think its up to them to tell you how to react??!! Thats my reaction to folks telling me I have to just quit cruising and not allowed to come here and vent.

Are people just unable to feel any sympathy?? No feelings?? Let people vent. They are allowed to criticize your favorite cruiseline.

Here's the thing ... when you vent on a messageboard, you (hypothetical you) are exposing your emotions at the time of said venting to public scrutiny. If people can't take public scrutiny, and more importantly, differing opinions perhaps they should call up their best friend and vent. When you post something, you're essentially begging for people to comment on it, and chances are there is going to be one or two people who don't particularly care for what you have to say for whatever reason. Case in point, the "vote with your wallet and find another cruiseline" is advice the OP solicitated, whether or not they realized it.

Personally, I think CCL's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But I think customer service in general in everything leaves a lot to be desired, and part of that is that a lot of people honestly believe they're entitled to far more than they really are. People will get what they are contractually and legally entitled to and no more. The days of CSMs going above and beyond, except in the case of special circumstances, are dead and gone, mostly due to abuse of the system. I have to wonder how many people who complain about rude CSMs are themselves rude to the CSMs in the first place and just getting handed back what they've giving.

I would expect to receive exactly what I paid for, same cat, same basic route,same price. I would not expect to be refunded air, unless it was booked through Carnival.Then, I would expect to get where I am going for no more than what I already paid.

Problem is...and I don't follow Carnival's routes as much as I do RCI...but there is so little to pick from in the US with RCI during certain times of the year, that it could be very hard to find a comparable cruise..

I posted this exact point on another thread, fire. The folks who EXPECT the customer service are those say, 35 and older. Back when customer service literally could wipe a company off the map. I will be 47 years old in a couple of months and I have seen the changes to be sure. What is different for me, and perhaps not others, is my ability to adapt to societal changes. The simple fact is, this ISN'T the 50s or 60s, customer service does not make or break big companies anymore. I pointed out Wal-Mart as an example, but Apple is the same way. People (Apple addicts, lol, I know hundreds of them) absolutely HATE their business practices but buy Apple products anyway. Some on the other hand (like me) won't go near an Apple product for that same reason. In today's day of information it truly has become a society of "don't like it, move on." If I had seen any temper tantrum effect a change in a company the size of Carnival I might feel differently. But the fact is, our tantrums aren't going to change anything. The proof is in the pudding (and history). So, that leaves me with, continue to stay bound up in the (useless) drama, or move on. I personally choose the latter. We "old timers" bear the responsibility of either adapting to today's changing times or continue to perpetuate the whining. I've yet to see the whining help anything.

I agree Vanessa and it's part of my whole point in my post. I've learned to accept the changes in life as they come and have learned there are places out there where my expectations are not going to be met. If I choose to continue on, then I must accept that fact and be willing to live with it. If I am unwilling to accept it, then I reject it and move on. But, in today's world, you just can't expect what's not there, travel the road anyway, and then whine when you don't get what you expected because it was never there in the first place. People do this to themselves all the time. The OP just as well as lay in the floor and kick and flay around like a 2 year old and Carnival will continue on to drydock as scheduled without a second thought.

You hit the nail on the head. This ain't the 50's and 60's when people were treated with respect and their loyalty was valued. That's so unfortunate.

Here's the thing ... when you vent on a messageboard, you (hypothetical you) are exposing your emotions at the time of said venting to public scrutiny. If people can't take public scrutiny, and more importantly, differing opinions perhaps they should call up their best friend and vent. When you post something, you're essentially begging for people to comment on it, and chances are there is going to be one or two people who don't particularly care for what you have to say for whatever reason. Case in point, the "vote with your wallet and find another cruiseline" is advice the OP solicitated, whether or not they realized it.

Personally, I think CCL's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But I think customer service in general in everything leaves a lot to be desired, and part of that is that a lot of people honestly believe they're entitled to far more than they really are. People will get what they are contractually and legally entitled to and no more. The days of CSMs going above and beyond, except in the case of special circumstances, are dead and gone, mostly due to abuse of the system. I have to wonder how many people who complain about rude CSMs are themselves rude to the CSMs in the first place and just getting handed back what they've giving.

Well said, I totally agree.

:D lol. .. consider yourself hugged.

sorry for my speech, but I know when people came on here and told me "I needed to just get over it, or quit cruising, etc" I was even more pissed when they told me just get over it. That I had no right to vent or complain.

You tell them Fly!! Perhaps you will get lucky and a RCL ship will come near you full time to avoid the massive cattle call lines and steep prices on the Magic.

You tell them Fly!! Perhaps you will get lucky and a RCL ship will come near you full time to avoid the massive cattle call lines and steep prices on the Magic.

Hey you!!! I am ok now with Carnival, but I just remember how I felt when no one showed even a tad of sympathy. People are so hard hearted on CC, maybe there is a point you are too experienced and forget what its like to have a heart and show a little empathy.

It is something to think about that Magic is $300 more than Mariner. Too bad Mariner isnt full time.

We received an e-mail today from Carnival informing us that our November 7th Pride cruise out of Baltimore has been cancelled!!!!! In and of itself, that was a real bummer, but what happened when we called Carnival was horrendous and has put us off from cruising with Carnival in the future.

We booked this cruise several months ago to take advantage of the super saver fare offering and also to fit with our very tough to schedule vacation time. We watched the price drop from $469 pp down to a low of $389 pp (lower deck inside cabin, but we don't need a balcony every trip). All was well until the e-mail from Carnival arrive today.

We called Carnival to find out why the cruise was cancelled and to see what other arrangements we could make and what Carnival was going to do in the way of making good on this rotten situation. At first the representative who answered was polite and commiserated with us but when we started to inquire as to what other cruises were available and what Carnival would do to honor the fact we booked early to allow us to get such a low fare, the representative gave us all kinds of options from other ports requiring airline and hotel costs. When we inquired if Carnival was going to pick up these costs the representative started to laugh. When asked fro her name, she hung up.

An immediate follow up call to a supervisor was courteous, yet she stated that there was no way to trace our previous call as the representative did not properly 'code' the call. (That is a crock of you know what as they monitor and tape all calls for quality and safety reasons.) To make a long story short, we are getting a refund, never booking again on Carnival, and writing a letter to the president of Carnival ex pressing our displeasure with the cancellation but more importantly the horrendous service we received.

Not sure if you can work this into your vacation time but the Enchantment of the Seas leaves on November 4th for a nine night cruise. The prices are not too bad. Of course many that had their cruise canceled may also be looking at this option.

Hey you!!! I am ok now with Carnival, but I just remember how I felt when no one showed even a tad of sympathy. People are so hard hearted on CC, maybe there is a point you are too experienced and forget what its like to have a heart and show a little empathy.

It is something to think about that Magic is $300 more than Mariner. Too bad Mariner isnt full time.

I hear you even with all my CCL cruises I grow more fond of RCL every time I cruise with them. Poor customer service is just a sign of the times everywhere you look. The cheerleaders are out in full force once again.

I wouldn't leave it unsaid, but if they came back with the information you noted here I would see it as a sign from God that I was not supposed to cruise that year and move on. Five hundred dollars per person can get you a wonderful vacation--especially from Baltimore. Those folks are very close to some very cool cities. The PROBLEM comes in when people DEMAND something that is not going to be given and then rather than ACCEPT what is, they get pissed off and stomp up and down like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum. If it was me, rather than acting like a spoiled 3 year old, I think I'd be danged glad that I even had $500pp to vacation with. LOTS of people don't even have jobs anymore.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ultimately, having calmed down significantly, I pretty much agree with most of your thoughts on the subject (well, other than the notion that I am acting like 3 year olds ;)). I think there is an initial shock in this whole thing - and people like me probably posted on here as a first resort way to vent our frustrations. I would hope that everyone could understand that no matter what, if you have something that you have been looking forward to cancelled on you, you will be upset initially. Eventually, rational thoughts set in.

(1) I am thankful that my full deposit will be returned.

(2) I am bummed that I am losing my trip insurance premium, even though I fully expected to lose that money the day I paid it. I just originally expected that I would lose it and have a wonderful cruise to show for it. (I also realize I could probably transfer it if I had another cruise booked, but I don't, so I can't).

(3) As for "DEMANDS" - I don't think I have "demanded" anything from Carnival. I have quite a few things that I would have preferred they did differently, but fully understood from the get go that what they have done thusfar seems to comply with their contractual requirements. Customer service though is about going above and beyond what is required.

(4) As for Carnival, I agree completely that the way to show them is with my wallet...as in they won't see anything from mine. Whether they are bothered by this or not is not my concern. I disagree with your notion that they have an infinite number of people waiting in the wings to cruise with them...they seem to be willing to take that risk though...that is a business decision for them. I'm thankful I'm not a shareholder because regardless of size, that is not a business model that has historically succeeded in the long-term.

(5) As for me, I am absolutely thankful for everything I have and I'm sorry if any of my posts gave any impression that I was anything but thankful. This is an example of a "cooler heads will prevail" thought though - initially, these are not the thoughts that come to mind when you have a highly anticipated vacation ripped out from underneath you.

(6) There are tons of wonderful vacations you can get from Baltimore and we will look into those. But the issue is that we were looking for a CRUISE. While we could still go that route, the cost will be significantly higher. We were looking to try out cruising and are now left to do something else. Whether other people understand/like that or not, we are bummed about that.

The ONLY way to effect a change in that is to vote with one's pocketbook. So far, they have crappy customer service and millions of customers. How long would it take to royally piss off millions of people??? All the b*tching and whining in the world is not going to change it, only $$ can change it.

As another poster pointed out, Carnival won't miss you, miss me, or miss the Cruise Critic community if we all voted with our $$$.

How do I know? Look at my signature - 10 Carnival cruises and not a single one since January of 2006 (November of 2006 if you count all of the lines under their corporate umbrella). I still get emails and flyers from Carnival and Princess, but no one has ever called, written, or emailed to say "we missed you - where have you been? What can we do to get you to come back?"

There are too many new cruisers - ones that will blindly book the ship's excursions, buy the 8X10 pirate pictures, ones that they don't have to give priority embarkation, or free laundry service to.

So they don't miss me. No worries - I don't miss them either!

Ultimately, having calmed down significantly, I pretty much agree with most of your thoughts on the subject (well, other than the notion that I am acting like 3 year olds ;)). I think there is an initial shock in this whole thing - and people like me probably posted on here as a first resort way to vent our frustrations. I would hope that everyone could understand that no matter what, if you have something that you have been looking forward to cancelled on you, you will be upset initially. Eventually, rational thoughts set in.

(1) I am thankful that my full deposit will be returned.

(2) I am bummed that I am losing my trip insurance premium, even though I fully expected to lose that money the day I paid it. I just originally expected that I would lose it and have a wonderful cruise to show for it. (I also realize I could probably transfer it if I had another cruise booked, but I don't, so I can't).

(3) As for "DEMANDS" - I don't think I have "demanded" anything from Carnival. I have quite a few things that I would have preferred they did differently, but fully understood from the get go that what they have done thusfar seems to comply with their contractual requirements. Customer service though is about going above and beyond what is required.

(4) As for Carnival, I agree completely that the way to show them is with my wallet...as in they won't see anything from mine. Whether they are bothered by this or not is not my concern. I disagree with your notion that they have an infinite number of people waiting in the wings to cruise with them...they seem to be willing to take that risk though...that is a business decision for them. I'm thankful I'm not a shareholder because regardless of size, that is not a business model that has historically succeeded in the long-term.

(5) As for me, I am absolutely thankful for everything I have and I'm sorry if any of my posts gave any impression that I was anything but thankful. This is an example of a "cooler heads will prevail" thought though - initially, these are not the thoughts that come to mind when you have a highly anticipated vacation ripped out from underneath you.

(6) There are tons of wonderful vacations you can get from Baltimore and we will look into those. But the issue is that we were looking for a CRUISE. While we could still go that route, the cost will be significantly higher. We were looking to try out cruising and are now left to do something else. Whether other people understand/like that or not, we are bummed about that.

Nice post, reads much better as well. Understand all of your comments and can totally understand your dis-appointment. Hope you get to try cruising again and find it much more appealing the next time.:)

Nats311, I understand your sadness at having your vacation (as you thought it was going to look) ripped out from under you. And while I don't mean you particularly, I was referring to those who, because of a schedule change, think that Carnival should fly them to Florida, give them the same cruise at the same price and "make it right, dammit, because that's what I want!!" (Insert stomping up and down and whining here). It absolutely kills me that people will not take responsibility for reading the contract (that says that they can cancel at any time for any reason and will refund your money, but says nothing about "giving you whatever you want in place of the cancellation"). Then, as though that is somehow the company's fault, they come on the board b*tching and whining about how bad customer service is.

Just once I would like to see someone come on here and say something like, "Well, I am very disappointed, my cruise was cancelled by [whatever cruiseline]. Oh well, God musta not wanted me to cruise this year. I'm taking the refund of the money I paid and going to the Cayman Islands for 4 days instead."

For what it's worth, while no fault of anyone, I just had to cancel my September cruise because we got our son's schedule for school and the week we were going to be gone is his midterms week. No way I can leave him alone for 4 days during midterms. So, we are out $100 and will try again next year. Am I disappointed? Sure. Was I looking forward to the cruise? Absolutely. But, stuff happens. Life goes on and booking ES was a risk I took. It's in the contract. Just like a cruiseline cancelling a cruise at a moment's notice is in the contract. We'll simply take the $$ we'd planned to spend on the cruise and maybe go down to the Gulf of Oil for a few days (former known as the Gulf of Mexico). Or maybe up to Chicago. Who knows? Either way, it's not the end of the world and whining that Carnival is not giving me more than I am contractually entitled to is definitely not going to help.

I am surprised at everyone's comments on here about "just get over it". I would be so pi$$ed. I know what the contract says, but that doesn't make it right.

I am not on this cruise, however, I booked a very desirable room (6232) that is costing me $4K for my family of 4, with earlysaver. If Carnival cancels on me, I would get my $4k back, lose my room (and probably get whatever ordinary room is left over), and lose my tripinsurance $$ (unless I booked another cruise). I suppose the option is to book another cruise that I would have to fly to, pay more money(since early saver is gone) for an average room (doubt any of the "good" rooms would be available), and I guess it sounds like my tripinsurance would transfer over (assuming I booked another cruise).

However, if I had some tragedy/health issue and couldn't make my cruise, Carnival has no obligation to me. (my insurance would cover me, assuming I had it, but Carnival gets to keep the money).

That contract works very nicely for Carnival (and I'm assuming all cruiselines). They cancel on me, I'm screwed, I cancel on them, I'm screwed.

OP, sorry your cruise got cancelled. Just an FYI, Disney extended their free dining through Dec 21 and has great customer service.

Just once I would like to see someone come on here and say something like, "Well, I am very disappointed, my cruise was cancelled by [whatever cruiseline]. Oh well, God musta not wanted me to cruise this year. I'm taking the refund of the money I paid and going to the Cayman Islands for 4 days instead."

Wellllllll....I am very disappointed, my cruise was cancelled by Carnival. Oh well, God musta not wanted me to cruise this year...with Carnival...I'm taking the money that I was apparently loaning to Carnival on an interest-free basis and saving it up for another trip. Any money above and beyond the interest-free loan that I was providing Carnival that is provided to me by Carnival will be placed in a separate account and used to fund future Carnival cruises. As long as that account is empty, there will be no Carnival cruises.

how's that?!?! ;):D

I am surprised at everyone's comments on here about "just get over it". I would be so pi$$ed. I know what the contract says, but that doesn't make it right.

No one is saying that the OP doesn't have a right to feel pissed. There is a difference between the emotional response and the logical response. I totally get the OP is heartsick over this, but the head says that CCL is well within their rights, and the CCL isn't going to respond to any emotional pleas because they are a business and they don't have an emotional response to override the logical and legal response.

And let me tell you something. If you know what the contract says and know what a contract is, it *does* make it right. If you don't feel that way, you shouldn't have signed the contract. The contract is what governs wrong and right, provided the contract is written the boundaries of prevailing contract laws.

No one is saying that the OP doesn't have a right to feel pissed. There is a difference between the emotional response and the logical response. I totally get the OP is heartsick over this, but the head says that CCL is well within their rights, and the CCL isn't going to respond to any emotional pleas because they are a business and they don't have an emotional response to override the logical and legal response.

And let me tell you something. If you know what the contract says and know what a contract is, it *does* make it right. If you don't feel that way, you shouldn't have signed the contract. The contract is what governs wrong and right, provided the contract is written the boundaries of prevailing contract laws.

So since it is in the contract, simply forget customer service? Just because your a CCL fanboy?

Customer service is bad in all industries. Why, because CUSTOMERS demand that CS become a giveaway program and they are still not satisfied.

The cruise was canceled and they will refund the money. They have NO further responsibility. That's REALITY!

When an airline cancels a flight what do they give you???

When a company discontinues a product, what do they give you??

We've had a cruise canceled. We booked another cruise on another line that went on the same itinerary at the same time. We booked it on our own with no tears. Since tears were not a choice that would solve the problem.

So since it is in the contract, simply forget customer service? Just because your a CCL fanboy?

So, wait, just because I don't agree with you I'm a CCL fanboy? Please. Your logic is holey once again.

I never said forget customer service. I simply said that if people expect CCL's customer service to be anything short of rude, ill-informed, and not willing to give into emotional pleas, they're living in a fantasy world (or, as you so nicely put it, drinking the Kool-Aid that CCL give a hang).

The contract governs the relationship. CCL will do no more than contractually required. That is the reality of the situation, unless they are extraordinary circumstances that dictate otherwise. That is the reality of the situation.

Customer service is a windmill for posters who believe they deserve more than the bare minimum to go tilt at.

I am not on this cruise, however, I booked a very desirable room (6232) that is costing me $4K for my family of 4, with earlysaver. If Carnival cancels on me, I would get my $4k back, lose my room (and probably get whatever ordinary room is left over), and lose my tripinsurance $$ (unless I booked another cruise). I suppose the option is to book another cruise that I would have to fly to, pay more money(since early saver is gone) for an average room (doubt any of the "good" rooms would be available), and I guess it sounds like my tripinsurance would transfer over (assuming I booked another cruise).

However, if I had some tragedy/health issue and couldn't make my cruise, Carnival has no obligation to me. (my insurance would cover me, assuming I had it, but Carnival gets to keep the money).

That contract works very nicely for Carnival (and I'm assuming all cruiselines). They cancel on me, I'm screwed, I cancel on them, I'm screwed.

OP, sorry your cruise got cancelled. Just an FYI, Disney extended their free dining through Dec 21 and has great customer service.

There are some things of life that that are just, "IS the way it IS!" Not 'fair,' not "good,' not, 'the way we'd like them to be.' But we have to deal with what IS, not with what we wish it was.

Customer service would be great if both the customer and the company were equally reasonable. But that is not the way life IS, or EVER will be.

Revel in the many, many good parts of life, DEAL with the rest.

good post. ;)

So, wait, just because I don't agree with you I'm a CCL fanboy? Please. Your logic is holey once again.

I never said forget customer service. I simply said that if people expect CCL's customer service to be anything short of rude, ill-informed, and not willing to give into emotional pleas, they're living in a fantasy world (or, as you so nicely put it, drinking the Kool-Aid that CCL give a hang).

The contract governs the relationship. CCL will do no more than contractually required. That is the reality of the situation, unless they are extraordinary circumstances that dictate otherwise. That is the reality of the situation.

Customer service is a windmill for posters who believe they deserve more than the bare minimum to go tilt at.

Was there a Don Quiote reference on the windmill statement?;)

Archived