Horrendous Customer Service

We had a similar cancellation a couple of years ago. I called our PVP and he worked with me very diligently, finally finding a similar sailing, and upgrading us, and the couple traveling with us, two categories to a very sweet cabin, at no extra cost, plus the OBC originally offered.

He also mysteriously "left the company" right after that with everyone stammering when we asked what had happened to him.

I'm just sayin....

OP - I wouldn't expect Carnival to assume any extra travel expenses for me, but I certainly feel your pain. I hope things work out for you.

I know it's more difficult to fly to the port and adds some cost to the total, but with flights to Florida less than $200, it's not a great deal more per person. You could cut back on other onboard expenses to help make up the difference.

I searched one of the major travel websites. There are tons of cruises showing up for under $500 that week.

I think many want Carnival to make them whole without doing any work.

I would guess if they do as you suggest and present the entire difference in costs which probably are minimal then WITH facts describing the differences if any Carnival probably will be more helpful. But just calling the first person who answers the phone and asking for open expenses to be covered is not going to anything.

And regarding the hang up. Often in anger we say things like "Forget about that!" Which may mean to other party the conversation is over and they hang up.

So in this bad situation, try to fix the problem yourself and then let Carnival know what it cost you.

And by the way most cruise lines do their early cruise cancellation (after all you can cancel early too) exactly the same way. They cancel offering very little and as time goes by work with people. So it's not just a Carnival think, it's a cruise industry thing.

Hope it works out.

I know it's more difficult to fly to the port and adds some cost to the total, but with flights to Florida less than $200, it's not a great deal more per person. You could cut back on other onboard expenses to help make up the difference.

I searched one of the major travel websites. There are tons of cruises showing up for under $500 that week.

Perhaps for a couple, but in my case we travel as a family of 5 - that $1000 adds up to a pretty significant amount. A cruise that is only $399 pp to begin with sounds like an awesome deal but throw in air + luggage fees, transfers, etc. and that inexpensive cruise is nadda. That is why we often cruise from NYC where we can drive to the port.

Many people booked early enough to get ES rates ... and now Carnival is not allowing people to move to another cruise for what they paid by booking early. ES rates are gone.

I dont see the $50 OBC as being all that nice. I have heard of much better offers this close in, like $100 toward changing plane fares and such.

I thought it was a stingy offer for being so close in and considering people are reporting back they cant book for what they had this cruise booked for.

Agree with you completely as I often do. Also, agree with those that have said people might feel a bit differently if it happened to them personally.

So sorry this happened to you and hope you will suck it up and find an even better sailing for you - don't give up!

but with flights to Florida less than $200,

:eek:

maybe for you, but not for everyone.

Op, I am sorry this happened to you...I'm even more sorry for those who booked this sailing and are part of large groups. I imagine that would be difficult to deal with.

Airfare from Louisville to FLL or MIA is rarely less than $350pp and usually closer to $400. In fact last year in March we flew to Germany round trip for less than it was going to cost us to fly into FLL (Germany was $330pp R/T, FLL was $375). I know that Indy offers lower rates because Air Tran flies into FLL from there. But Indy is an hour and a half away AND I am not flying Air Tran (aka Sardine Airlines) anywhere!!

To the OP, I am sorry this happened to you but doubt you'll get any resolution as others have posted, your contract is going to cover their butts and (sadly) had you come here prior to cruising instead of after a problem, you'd have known about Carnival's horrible customer service. They are the poster child for "you get what you pay for". I wish you luck on your future cruise endeavors.

Perhaps for a couple, but in my case we travel as a family of 5 - that $1000 adds up to a pretty significant amount. A cruise that is only $399 pp to begin with sounds like an awesome deal but throw in air + luggage fees, transfers, etc. and that inexpensive cruise is nadda. That is why we often cruise from NYC where we can drive to the port.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I would be very upset as well if I were in your shoes. I believe good customer service makes a business stand out from the rest, at least it does for me. I doubt that cancelling the entire cruise was an easy choice for Carnival, & they certainly have the right to do so, but it would have been an appropriate gesture to allow those who booked ES to realize a comperable savings if they booked an alternate cruise. Not required, mind you, but appreciated. My husband owns a small construction company. He not only stays busy but has recently expanded while others were dissolving. Why? His customer service is excellent! In the long run, taking care of your customers not only feels great but pays the bills too!

I hope you're able to book another vacation that will excite you just as much as the cruise. It's a huge let down to anticipate a great vacation only to have it taken away. Don't give up! Perhaps you'll be able to find the right person to help you. Or, maybe you can contact a TA to see what options are available. An AI perhaps?

Good luck!

I am sorry to hear Carnival didnt give more notice. It doesnt sound like they gave you enought time to replan either.

July to November is not enough notice? Could it possibly be that is all the notice there was? Anyway, it doesn't matter. Two years ago, I found out less than 24 hours before boarding that my ENTIRE itinerary had been changed.

I would be sorely disappointed that my cruise had been cancelled for sure, but to expect more than a refund without penalty is unreasonable in my opinion. Obviously, you didn't read the fine print and now you're blaming Carnival? They did not fail to inform, you failed to get informed. Life isn't fair, grow up and get used to it.

Whiners! Geessh.

If you read the fine print, they can cancel at any time for any reason. Disappointing yes, but that is that. When you book so far ahead, it can happen. I would be extremely disappointed too, but you can't expect Carnival to do any more than refund what you have paid.

The real issue is the horrendous customer service. Having a customer representative laugh and hang up is not any way to treat customers.

I do feel sorry for all involved but always think of what would you do if you were in their situation

I would not take the decision lightly and I would do anything I could possibly do to keep my customers, even if it required a little extra investment on my part. That a company that made $13.2 billion last year isn't willing to suck up an extra $300 for a passenger that was inconvenienced by their decision speaks volume about the company...I understand the ultimate goal is to improve the bottom line, but how does it improve the bottom line to drive customers away when you could keep them for a total cost of .0000023% of your annual revenues?

FWIW, I spoke with my PVP, and I was very upfront with her in explaining why we booked this cruise and why the other options she offered (changing dates at a cost of $500 more, moving to a different port, or rescheduling for november 2011) just didn't make sense for us. I also indicated that this left a real bad taste in our mouths regarding carnival. I was not rude to her as I understood that this was not her decision, but at the same time, I'm not going to just throw more of my hard-earned money around just to keep her happy. She was nice back, but it was clear to me that she had no ability to do anything to help me out. Her "best" offer was to book me on a cruise 16 months from now, at the same price, but in a lower category.

The real issue is the horrendous customer service. Having a customer representative laugh and hang up is not any way to treat customers.

The sheep are ignoring that this was the point you were making.

The sheep are ignoring that this was the point you were making.

The cruise I came on here and complained about, the purser's desk was very busy, but when folks called from the cabins, they were hung up on and I heard this from more than one person, so I believed the HC person with us who said it happened to her.

I kept saying it was how we were treated, not that Carnival couldnt control the weather as people kept saying.

I really dont think Carnival cheerleaders are able to read thru the facts and figure it out that customer service matters to people. Just goes right over their heads.

Personal Vacation Planner

Yes, they are people assigned to you and are supposed to stay assigned to you as long as you are booked with and are a customer of Carnival Cruise Lines. Some are really good at what they do (excellent follow-up, etc) and I am lucky enough to have one of those. Based on what I've read on this board however, she appears to be the exception.

The cruise I came on here and complained about, the purser's desk was very busy, but when folks called from the cabins, they were hung up on and I heard this from more than one person, so I believed the HC person with us who said it happened to her.

I kept saying it was how we were treated, not that Carnival couldnt control the weather as people kept saying.

I really dont think Carnival cheerleaders are able to read thru the facts and figure it out that customer service matters to people. Just goes right over their heads.

I don't disagree with you fire. But the simple fact is, Carnival has chosen a path that does not offer good customer service. The ONLY way to effect a change in that is to vote with one's pocketbook. So far, they have crappy customer service and millions of customers. How long would it take to royally piss off millions of people??? Right. Forever. To that end, why change anything if what they have now is apparently working? I don't understand how people want to b*tch about Carnival's customer service and then still keep sailing them. Just move on. Carnival doesn't care!!!!!! Does that make it right??? Of course not. But it is what it is. All the b*tching and whining in the world is not going to change it, only $$ can change it.

I don't disagree with you fire. But the simple fact is, Carnival has chosen a path that does not offer good customer service. The ONLY way to effect a change in that is to vote with one's pocketbook. So far, they have crappy customer service and millions of customers. How long would it take to royally piss off millions of people??? Right. Forever. To that end, why change anything if what they have now is apparently working? I don't understand how people want to b*tch about Carnival's customer service and then still keep sailing them. Just move on. Carnival doesn't care!!!!!! Does that make it right??? Of course not. But it is what it is. All the b*tching and whining in the world is not going to change it, only $$ can change it.

If there was another cruiseline with full time service out of Galveston, I would have moved on. The fact is there isnt. I really thought hard about it after that cruise, but I had 3 more booked, which would have cost me money to cancel.

I agree its the Carnival mindset, that they assume there will be new cruisers to replace anyone who moves on. They are a entry level cruiseline and dont value loyalty very much. The truth is, for us, there isnt another choice unless we quit cruising or fly somewhere. I blame Carnival's bean counters.

July to November is not enough notice? Could it possibly be that is all the notice there was? Anyway, it doesn't matter. Two years ago, I found out less than 24 hours before boarding that my ENTIRE itinerary had been changed.

I would be sorely disappointed that my cruise had been cancelled for sure, but to expect more than a refund without penalty is unreasonable in my opinion. Obviously, you didn't read the fine print and now you're blaming Carnival? They did not fail to inform, you failed to get informed. Life isn't fair, grow up and get used to it.

Whiners! Geessh.

Oh, so you wouldn't say a word to anyone, you would just shut up and take it, if your original cruise cost $500 per person and to rebook on another ship it would cost you $1000 per person because you have to fly to a different port, don't get the ES rate you originally booked with, etc.??? Hard to believe :rolleyes:

Alive and breathing - check

Healthy enough to go cruising - check

Employment and with time off for vacations - check

Access to all travel options via the internet - check

Already booked with a competitor (NCL) - check

Inflammatory post to the CCL portion of Cruise Critic - check

Returned to the NCL portion of Cruise critic and no need to come back as you will never set foot on a Carnival ship - check

.....the fact that you might have caused people to flee Carnival in droves leaving cabin classes unsold......priceless for us as we always book ES and the the wonderful PVP's we call at Carnival are glad to help us save money on our booked cruises.:D

Could somebody direct me to one of the other cruiseline boards on this site where I will find posts boasting of perfection and 100% customer satisfaction?

So far every one of them has posts that contain:

"Will never sail _______ again!"

"Lousy customer service"

"__________ doesn't care!"

I'll be waiting... and waiting.

Oh, so you wouldn't say a word to anyone, you would just shut up and take it, if your original cruise cost $500 per person and to rebook on another ship it would cost you $1000 per person because you have to fly to a different port, don't get the ES rate you originally booked with, etc.??? Hard to believe :rolleyes:

I wouldn't leave it unsaid, but if they came back with the information you noted here I would see it as a sign from God that I was not supposed to cruise that year and move on. Five hundred dollars per person can get you a wonderful vacation--especially from Baltimore. Those folks are very close to some very cool cities. The PROBLEM comes in when people DEMAND something that is not going to be given and then rather than ACCEPT what is, they get pissed off and stomp up and down like a 3 year old having a temper tantrum. If it was me, rather than acting like a spoiled 3 year old, I think I'd be danged glad that I even had $500pp to vacation with. LOTS of people don't even have jobs anymore.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I really dont get the rush to defend Carnival and blow off anyone who says they need to vent over customer service.

Maybe its a sign of the times, that so many think its fine that people are rude. Are the people defending Carnival very young and just brought up differently than us in the older generation?

Iv also got to admit when I came here with a problem and everyone said, just quit cruising Carnival and move on ... really bugged me... what are these people thinking that they think its up to them to tell you how to react??!! Thats my reaction to folks telling me I have to just quit cruising and not allowed to come here and vent.

Are people just unable to feel any sympathy?? No feelings?? Let people vent. They are allowed to criticize your favorite cruiseline.

It would have helped if you read my post. I said I would be sorely disappointed, but to EXPECT more than to be refunded without penalty would be unreasonable. I didn't say anything about not voicing my disappointment and of course I would be pissed. But, because McDonald's screws up my order, I don't expect them to pay for my gas to go over to Burger King. It's the world we've created and the world we must live in.

I just don't understand people entering into a contract and as long as everything goes the way THEY want it to go, then everything is fine as long as Carnival holds up their end of the bargain. But, you let one thing get out of place to where the customer has to accept the terms of the contract and they want to cry foul and want to be compensated. You live by the sword, you die by it. The OP just got caught up in circumstances due to the coincidence of the choice of the time to cruise and the choice of the time Carnival decided to do a drydock. Life happens.

It's tough and disappointing and I'm not unsympathetic with the OP. But, beyond that, I think the OP's expectations are unrealistic. NO, I don't think the customer service was acceptable, but neither do I think the OP's demands were either. But to expect anything more out of Carnival's so-called customer service is as much wishful thinking as asking for assistance with airline and hotel fare to rebook a different cruise. Again, nonexsistant expectations. JMHO. :)

Archived