Rotterdam 1nt Pacific Coastal Cruise Q !

beachchick24

Hi there!

I am thinking about surprising my bf with a one night pacific coastal cruise seattle-vancouver. We live in Vancouver, so I would start the "surprise" here, taking the Amtrak train to seattle. The train would get to seattle about 12noon, and then we'd walk around pike place market a little bit, and catch a cab(walk?) to the cruise port. I think I have read that boarding starts at 12noon for the ship... My question is: How long would boarding take if we arrived at the port around... 2:30pm? (approximately??) Should we aim to go straight to the cruise port and not wander pike place ?

Thanks!!:p

If you planned on boarding at 2:30 there would be almost no wait at all. If all your documents are in order and you are just bringing a carry-on you could probably be aboard in less than 15 minutes.

Since the train gets to Seattle about noon - suggest you

go directly to the Ship ! You only have a short time aboard

- so you might as well enjoy it as much as possible.

Have all your documents ready - and when aboard plan

to go to the Lido for a nice lunch. If cabins are

not yet available, check the deck plan and a few areas

of the ship. Then plan a nice spot for the sail-away.

Enjoy your nice surprise.

thanks for your input !

Another question: We arrive back in vancouver at 7am the next morning... What is the latest time we can disembark without being yelled at :D ?

Depending on how smooth disembark is, 9:30-10. You can go to the front office and ask for the latest possible disembark time. Just let them know Vancouver is home and you have nowhere to be.

[quote name=

Another question: We arrive back in vancouver at 7am the next morning... What is the latest time we can disembark without being yelled at :D ?[/quote]

DBA is the expert. I would have said about 9:00 A.M.

Good suggestion to go to the Pursar's Desk (and/or documents in your cabin to

turn in) - and request the last debarture time.

You can enjoy a lovely breakfast in the Main Dining Room - or a breakfast

in your cabin.

Awesome, thanks for the replys!!

A couple more Q's as Im thinking of them ...

Is there an option of having our dinner in a 'specialty restaurant' onboard?<-- any extra fees for it?

Is there any nighly entertainment for the 1 night cruises?

I believe i read that you can bring wine/champagne onboard no problem (but no hard liquor). Is this still accurate?

I looked at a slideshow type thing of the rotterdam, and there doesnt seem to be a lot of outside space for lounging...Does it get crowded?

Is it worth it to splurge on an oceanview room that comes with a bathtub for just the one night?

Thanks ! Ive only sailed once on Carnival before, so im still relatively new to cruising!

Is there an option of having our dinner in a 'specialty restaurant' onboard?<-- any extra fees for it?

Is there any nighly entertainment for the 1 night cruises?

I believe i read that you can bring wine/champagne onboard no problem (but no hard liquor). Is this still accurate?

I looked at a slideshow type thing of the rotterdam, and there doesnt seem to be a lot of outside space for lounging...Does it get crowded?

Is it worth it to splurge on an oceanview room that comes with a bathtub for just the one night?

Thanks ! Ive only sailed once on Carnival before, so im still relatively new to cruising!

I'd recommend getting a cabin with a veranda--they're only about $100/pp on those one-day cruises.

Im sure a verandah would be great, but I think a cheaper room will serve us just fine for only one night :P the choice is between an inside and an oceanview..hmmm..

I am really excited to book as well ! Anyone have any replies to my other Q's ?

thanks!:p

Im sure a verandah would be great, but I think a cheaper room will serve us just fine for only one night :P the choice is between an inside and an oceanview..hmmm..

I am really excited to book as well ! Anyone have any replies to my other Q's ?

thanks!:p

For one night...I'd get the inside. What are you going to look out at anyway? Have a good cruise.

Is there an option of having our dinner in a 'specialty restaurant' onboard?<-- any extra fees for it? Pinnacle Grill, yes. $20.00/per person. Canaletto, no charge, make reservations when you get on.

Is there any nighly entertainment for the 1 night cruises? There will be entertainment in the Showroom at Sea, Mix (piano bar side at a minimum), Crow's Nest for more of a nightclub feel, strings in the Explorer's Lounge and Neptunes in the Ocean bar

I believe i read that you can bring wine/champagne onboard no problem (but no hard liquor). Is this still accurate? Correct

I looked at a slideshow type thing of the rotterdam, and there doesnt seem to be a lot of outside space for lounging...Does it get crowded? The Retreat will be PACKED if it's a nice day. Lido Pool at midship will have a good crowd. There's also the deck space on Deck 3 that wraps around, and lots of chairs above the Crow's Nest

Is it worth it to splurge on an oceanview room that comes with a bathtub for just the one night? That's a personal choice. I will usually splurge on a Deluxe Verandah Suite for a 1 night and throw an incredible sail away party in my suite

Keep in mind that compared to Carnival, HAL has A LOT of additional perks that correspond with different levels of room. Carnival tends to just earn you additional square footage.

• 1 month later...
Hi there!

I am thinking about surprising my bf with a one night pacific coastal cruise seattle-vancouver. We live in Vancouver, so I would start the "surprise" here, taking the Amtrak train to seattle. The train would get to seattle about 12noon, and then we'd walk around pike place market a little bit, and catch a cab(walk?) to the cruise port. I think I have read that boarding starts at 12noon for the ship... My question is: How long would boarding take if we arrived at the port around... 2:30pm? (approximately??) Should we aim to go straight to the cruise port and not wander pike place ?

I checked the Amtrak schedule, as I've done the train or bus from Vancouver to Seattle in the past. A bus connected with Amtrak will get you to Seattle at noon, but the Cascades train leaves Vancouver at 6:40am and arrives into Seattle at 11:05am. If the train is on time, you could make a short visit to Pike Place and still board the ship fairly early.

Hi there!

HAL uses pier 90-91 to dock in Seattle which is a north of downtown (you'll go past HAL's head office on Elliot Street heading to the pier - it's on the right-hand-side of the street heading north)...you won't be able to walk it. You'll need to take a cab - I'd estimate 10-20 minute drive depending on traffic.

Thanks for the post about the Vancouver pier change!! I just found out that info myself too.

And yes, i realized afterwards that i was looking at the amtrak bus time schedule, not the train. I booked the train tho, so we get into seattle earlier around 11 <-- good news !! More time in pike place!

Thank you for the info on the pier number in seattle ...the days are ticking away and its getting closer to cruise time!!! so excited !!!

JUST CHECKED MY TA CHEAPEST VERANDA SUITE $359.92 . INSIDE $159.92 ocean view $199.92 all cabins are guaranteed only. this seems to be the way Hall is selling them. this includes all taxes etc and this is the total cost for 2 people we are taking the Rotterdam to San Diego and the booking is guaranteed also ,only way hall would sell to us hope this helps. you may be able to get this cheaper i don't know

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be a busy day in Vancouver on the 19th.

Port Metro Vancouver shows the Rotterdam at Ballantyne Pier along with Norwegian Pearl.

Ryndam, Statendam and Celebrity Mercury are at Canada Place.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/cruiselineschedules.aspx

Enjoy your 1-day cruise on the Rotterdam; she's a fantastic ship! For a peek at our one-day cruise, go here:

http://fromthedeckchair.blogspot.com/2010/05/focus-onthe-rotterdam-part-1.html

Archived