Live from Rotterdam--7-10-10 through 7-17-10

TracieABD

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging comments. Right now I am just sitting in Vancouver chillin' and trying to motivate myself out the door...

The cruise was great. Really, the cruise was next to perfect!

Hated to see it end.

Vic- I did get some photos of 3346 (which was open and made up). I hope this will suffice. I will have my husband post them in a couple of days!

Take care-

TL:):)

TracieABD - I have enjoyed your live thread. I hope you make some comments comparing your experience this year on HAL's Rotterdam to your experience last year on the Golden Princess. BTW - thanks to you I learned about durian. I had never heard of it until you wrote about it. I looked it up and found it has a fascinating history.

I am a bit afraid to spend too much time comparing the Princess Golden to the HAL Rotterdam, cause you know I am 'dam-ed if I do and 'dam-ed if I don't!

The bottom line is that overall, I preferred HAL. The service was unbelievable and the ambiance was excellent. The things I loved most about HAL:

• the beds were comfortable
  • unlimited laundry package
  • service, service, service
  • the whirlpool tub in our stateroom
  • layout of the room
  • towel animals
  • the variety in afternoon tea
  • the thermal spa
  • The Pinnacle Grill
  • Crows Nest
  • free capuccino in the MDR
  • brewed coffee and tea selection
  • Mariner's privledges
  • embarkation and disembarkation were tons better on HAL
  • The boats really look like traditional cruise liners

What I really love about Princess:

• the International Cafe
  • Their coffee card (better value) and their baristas
  • bigger shows
  • the food is a bit better on Princess
  • the drinks were better (according to my husband)
  • dining room was prettier
  • you can hear the announcements and the cruise maps in your stateroom on the TV

The reality of it all is that between the two cruise lines, I am splitting hairs, and having to think really hard to do it.

I would sail on both lines again, and again and again.

I will be on Princess in 75 days, and I am not sure about HAL, but I have FCCs with both lines.

The truth of the matter is: I LOVE CRUISING!

I am happy to answer any specific questions about either line!:):)

Thanks, TracieABD for the concise HAL-Princess comparison post. We are sailing the Rotterdam in late August this year. However, we want to go again next year and we are debating the Oosterdam versus the Golden Princess. Both sail to Glacier Bay but HAL goes to Sitka and Princess stops in Skagway. It sounds like you had a terrific vacation - it was great to follow along on your live thread.

Thanks all!

I am attaching a couple of links that will help you to see the lanai rooms. This is 3346 on the Rotterdam.

No judgements about my photo skills, which do not exist!

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=16693

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/member.php?uid=366105&protype=1

I am back in Charlotte. When I made it home this morning, my poor little impatiens had wilted from the heat.

I am now eagerly anticipating "Stewart" to come and turn down my bed and leave a towel animal on it!

Waiting....

Still waiting....

Sorry but no chocolate on the pillow with the note "sweet dreams" When the bell rings, go to the door and not to the dining room and you will have to make your own bed. Ah, these little things in life....................

Hi Tracie - Thank you for your review. My husband, twin daughters aged 8 and I are considering a Christmas Cruise on the Rotterdam this year. A quick question for you regarding entertainment. We love to have a drink and dance before and after dinner. Did you find that was possible each evening? We are in our 40's but love Sinatra, Neil Diamond, etc. as do our girls. We are not really in the "shows" but want to ensure that the music, singers, bands on the Rotterdam are up to it. (Cruised with HAL on Oosterdam many years ago and on Celebrity Century and loved the pre and post dinner options. Celebrity Solstice last year disappointed greatly in that regard.) Thanks! Denise

Hi Tracie - Thank you for your review. My husband, twin daughters aged 8 and I are considering a Christmas Cruise on the Rotterdam this year. A quick question for you regarding entertainment. We love to have a drink and dance before and after dinner. Did you find that was possible each evening? We are in our 40's but love Sinatra, Neil Diamond, etc. as do our girls. We are not really in the "shows" but want to ensure that the music, singers, bands on the Rotterdam are up to it. (Cruised with HAL on Oosterdam many years ago and on Celebrity Century and loved the pre and post dinner options. Celebrity Solstice last year disappointed greatly in that regard.) Thanks! Denise

I do not know if you could dance prior to dinner, but each evening they had dancing in the Crow's Nest after dinner. I am not sure about Sinatra or Neil Diamond though. Seemed like a lot of DJ based music. We are not dancers, though, so I never really got up there after dinner to check it out.

I have also heard something that children are not allowed in the Crows Nest after a certain time (I have no idea when that is...), but I am not really sure about that either.

Anyone else out there? I could use some help on this one!:eek:

Sumatra coffee made in a french press? OMG, I have to check that out :D Thanks for the great reports!

Not a problem, Princess. How is your tourist season going?

I've not received an update yet (on "bless your heart") so I am assuming all is well in your world!

Wait...

I just went back to check my Daily Programs-- Dancing with the Neptunes in the Ocean Bar every night from 6:30-11:30. Not sure what kind of music they play, but there is dancing!:)

Thank you so much for taking the time to check. Really appreciate it! Denise

Archived