HAL Secrets they usually don't tell you about

livingnow1

Please tell me; how does one do this? We booked our next cruise but I have no clue as to how to "bid it out".

Thanks!

Another option would be to Google "cruise compete" and see what happens.. The previous poster is exactly correct about what to look for and what to accept. If you already have a cruise booked and all the TA has to do is process your payment with no time lost in "selling" you on what you need, more than a few realize that 5% of something is better than 10% of nothing. Don't expect too much service from the low bidder however other than your initial savings.

Yes. Everyone on the ship is Welcomed Aboard. :)

It is almost always held the day after boarding which is almost always a formal night. It will be posted in the daily program. No separate invitations are sent as everyone is welcome to come.

I agree. And I think sometimes we tend to forget that because we are a little more experienced than others, we know a lot more about what is available but forget that the only way we know some of these things is because - we have the experience.

There are many things that repeat cruisers take for granted, without realizing beginning cruisers have not been exposed to them before. How about things like the ship's coin, the story behind it, and where to find it? Unless you spend hours pouring through old posts and happen upon the rare thread that covers this gem, you wouldn't know about it.

"Secret doors" that are alluded to sometimes are tidbits that this poster may be interested in.Now I'm all excited again! Enjoy! :)

Can you tell me more about the "Coin" and "Secret Doors"

I know how to get a bridge tour in Quebec. Get off the ship, find a bus and go over the old span, returning on the new span.

Simple.

Well, that's one way.

Actually if you want to get a peek at the navigation bridge on a HAL 'S' or 'R' class ship, you can go to a stairway that will take you to the back of each bridge wing. Anytime, day or night. One of my favorite 'secret spots'.

My favorite snack is to swing through the Explorer's Lounge each evening on my way from the dining room to the showroom, and pick up a piece of delicious chocolate from a tray on a small table in the center. Not a secret, but most people aren't aware it's there.

Actually if you want to get a peek at the navigation bridge on a HAL 'S' or 'R' class ship, you can go to a stairway that will take you to the back of each bridge wing. Anytime, day or night. One of my favorite 'secret spots.'

I did some video from that spot, which (according to one staff captain, a first-class b.s. artist from England) they absolutely do not want people to do, back when they let you on the bridge. His reasons were strange, but so was he.

Anyway, I did get some nice tape from there and did get to see some of the bridge work, as it were.

Brewgirl1 --

The coin is under the foremast, or whatever the call that thing in front. Formerly, I suppose it was placed there but not visible. In these days when it's more of a curiosity than a genuine sailor's prayer for luck on the High Seas, you can go up to the Sky Deck and check out where the mast is. Down the bottom, where it meets the deck, you will find a small opening and you can see the coin(s) there.

Well, that's one way.

Actually if you want to get a peek at the navigation bridge on a HAL 'S' or 'R' class ship, you can go to a stairway that will take you to the back of each bridge wing.

How do you get to this stairway? From what deck?

How do you get to this stairway? From what deck?

The bridge is on (cleverly enough), the Navigation Deck (7). You can either go up from the Verandah Deck (6), or down from the Lido Deck (8).

On the Lido deck, access is from a small door on the port side of the fitness center. Since the fitness center has been expanded on most or all of these ships, there is no longer a passageway around to the starboard side. You can go down two decks, then around to the starboard side, and back up to see the starboard wing.

I enjoy comparing my little hand-held GPS to the ship's instruments from these neat vantage points.

The bridge is on (cleverly enough), the Navigation Deck (7). You can either go up from the Verandah Deck (6), or down from the Lido Deck (8).

On the Lido deck, access is from a small door on the port side of the fitness center. Since the fitness center has been expanded on most or all of these ships, there is no longer a passageway around to the starboard side. You can go down two decks, then around to the starboard side, and back up to see the starboard wing.

I enjoy comparing my little hand-held GPS to the ship's instruments from these neat vantage points.

Thanks for the info!

Here are a couple of things I have learned along the way, many of them thanks to CCers.

1. The first day of your cruise, you will be directed to the Lido buffet, but lunch is also served in the main dining room. Simply ask for directions and they will be thrilled to send you in the right direction and will most likely give you a place to store your carry-on items during your meal.

2. You may bring your own beverages - bottled water, wine, and soda - on board with you. It is cheaper and easier to bring bottles of pop with you and keep your fridge stocked than to purchase it at the bar in glasses that frequently are small and tasted off. Also, DH likes Dr. Pepper and they only serve Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite on board.

3. On our last cruise, we took a taxi from the hotel to the port. Upon entering the taxi, we asked the driver to make a stop at the nearest grocery store on the way. It cost us a couple of bucks to pick up bottles of pop (see #2) and a couple of other things we decided we couldn't live without!

4. Many folks on ship will go to the front desk early in the cruise and ask to have a small hole punched in their key cards. They then put in on a lanyard and let it hang around their necks. It's a great way to securely keep your card without worrying about losing it. Others bring lanyards with a sleeve the card fits into.

5. From what I understand, you can have your key card programmed to open multiple room doors when traveling with a group. We have traveled with family members spread out among various rooms and it was frustrating to juggle cards. Not any more!

6. If you like to swim or lay in the sun, pack your swimsuit into your carry-on. On embarkation day, when you are finished with lunch, simply change into your suit and relax poolside. It's a great way to spend an afternoon waiting for your luggage to arrive.

That's all I can think of for now. So many "secrets" are just learned by trial and error. Scan the boards and you will be amazed at all the tidbits you pick up!

Here are a couple of things I have learned along the way, many of them thanks to CCers.

1. The first day of your cruise, you will be directed to the Lido buffet, but lunch is also served in the main dining room. Simply ask for directions and they will be thrilled to send you in the right direction and will most likely give you a place to store your carry-on items during your meal.

2. You may bring your own beverages - bottled water, wine, and soda - on board with you. It is cheaper and easier to bring bottles of pop with you and keep your fridge stocked than to purchase it at the bar in glasses that frequently are small and tasted off. Also, DH likes Dr. Pepper and they only serve Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite on board.

3. On our last cruise, we took a taxi from the hotel to the port. Upon entering the taxi, we asked the driver to make a stop at the nearest grocery store on the way. It cost us a couple of bucks to pick up bottles of pop (see #2) and a couple of other things we decided we couldn't live without!

4. Many folks on ship will go to the front desk early in the cruise and ask to have a small hole punched in their key cards. They then put in on a lanyard and let it hang around their necks. It's a great way to securely keep your card without worrying about losing it. Others bring lanyards with a sleeve the card fits into.

5. From what I understand, you can have your key card programmed to open multiple room doors when traveling with a group. We have traveled with family members spread out among various rooms and it was frustrating to juggle cards. Not any more!

6. If you like to swim or lay in the sun, pack your swimsuit into your carry-on. On embarkation day, when you are finished with lunch, simply change into your suit and relax poolside. It's a great way to spend an afternoon waiting for your luggage to arrive.

That's all I can think of for now. So many "secrets" are just learned by trial and error. Scan the boards and you will be amazed at all the tidbits you pick up!

thanks FarmerJen. Some new hints for me. Re #1. I am so happy to hear this. This is our first HAL cruise and thought that only return cruisers could go to MDR.

thanks again:D

• 7 months later...

When we last cruised HAL in 2007 (Alaska) they had on board contests every day or so that we could win "HAL bucks" (in other words Monopoly money) that could be cashed in at the end of the trip for HAL clothing. We got two nice quality HAL shirts (Dam ships).

Do they still have that activity? We met some really nice folks just doing those crazy games.

When we last cruised HAL in 2007 (Alaska) they had on board contests every day or so that we could win "HAL bucks" (in other words Monopoly money) that could be cashed in at the end of the trip for HAL clothing. We got two nice quality HAL shirts (Dam ships).

Do they still have that activity? We met some really nice folks just doing those crazy games.

HAL bucks have been eliminated.

I found out about these two cruises ago. You enter for $20. We had 2 for 1 coupons. On our last cruise both my hubby and I won $500 each! We aren't great gamblers, but enjoyed these times!

We have won losts of prizes at Trivia too!

Don't forget to check out happy hours at the different lounges....You can hop from on to another for pre-dinner drinks!

Archived