Yes! It's Another 'Can I Make This Connection' Thread

Twickenham

So, my aunts & uncles (2 couples) are planning a trip to Australia for a family wedding (already had vacation plans set myself, otherwise would probably be going with them). Anyhow, trying to advise them re: airfare, and just found that Delta is having a bit of a sale. The lowest I had found for them so far is a lovely YUL-YVR-SYD itinerary on AC for a shade under $1700, but just found that I can get YQB-DTW-LAX-SYD for a shade over $1300. Now, not sure if the $300+ savings will compensate adding a flight and connecting through the US, but before I advise them, wanted to ask about the feasibility of the connection times:

DL4059 - YQB 4:25 pm -DTW 6:40 pm

Layover: 1 hour 10 minutes

DL1819 - DTW 7:50 pm - LAX 9:42 pm

Layover: 52 minutes

DL17 - LAX 10:35 pm - SYD 6:35 am

Return:

DL16 - SYD 10:50 am - LAX 6:40 am

Layover: 4 hours 35 minutes

DL1706 - LAX 11:15 am - DTW 6:45 pm

Layover: 55 minutes

DL3688 - DTW 7:40 pm - YQB 9:42 pm

The dates I've priced are Sept. 21-Oct.24, but these are variable due to them not all going/coming back the same time (work schedules).

So... can these connections be made?

I'd say no on the outbound ... there is still no US pre-clearance at YQB n'est-ce pas? and although you come into DTW at a quiet time with little international traffic (read CBP takes their supper break so a lot of their stations are closed) you will be arriving at the same time as DL's ICN flt arrives. Should you miss your subsequent cnx, you have very little opportunity (read zero) to recover same day imho.

I run into the same problem coming from YXU -- no pre-clearance -- so no hope of making a tight connection in DTW. I always leave 90 minutes.

Scott.

I'm not thrilled with the 50 minutes at LAX. It is possible that you come into T6 and have to hike through the tunnel over to T5. Also, that flight starts boarding an hour before departure so they can push back on time (or early).

I've been looking at routings to SYD because of a DL SkyMiles promo going on right now and find that the "cheap seats" are initially showing on routings with close connections. Have you tried the same routing forcing longer connects by using the multi-city option?

I'd say no on the outbound ... there is still no US pre-clearance at YQB n'est-ce pas?

Alas, no. Had hoped that would be possible, but you're right, with having to clear immigration at DTW, it is really too tight.

I'm not thrilled with the 50 minutes at LAX. It is possible that you come into T6 and have to hike through the tunnel over to T5. Also, that flight starts boarding an hour before departure so they can push back on time (or early).

I've been looking at routings to SYD because of a DL SkyMiles promo going on right now and find that the "cheap seats" are initially showing on routings with close connections. Have you tried the same routing forcing longer connects by using the multi-city option?

The LAX connection was the one I was really concerned about, and if you tell me that there's a possibility of changing terminals, then that's out. Haven't done too much searching (just a quick follow-up on a Delta sale tweet this AM), but the problem is starting in YQB. There's only a couple of YQB-DTW flights a day, and I'm getting connections of either 50 minutes or 12-24 hours. Will have to play around a bit more with the DL website tonight and see if I can get anything better.

Alas, no. Had hoped that would be possible, but you're right, with having to clear immigration at DTW, it is really too tight.

At any other time of the day I personally would roll the dice in DTW. It is generally a very efficient airport. I regularly take DL3868 YXUDTW which is scheduled to arrive at 18h15, and if the ICN flight is there before or at the same time as you, you might as well kiss any short connection goodbye. CBP staff are ramped down at that time, even sometimes closing the NEXUS line and / or serving non-NEXUS pax to move ppl through.

Scott.

Have you tried going from Eastern Canada to YVR, SFO, or LAX on a roundtrip ticket and combining it with a second RT ticket for the transpac flights? There are some excellent fares off the West Coast to Oz...I'm not too familiar with fares from your area to the gateway.

Archived