Jewelry in Alaska

cruisinderek

[i see that Murdoch's are sitll in biz in Whitehorse I bought a nugget charm for DW and several other pieces of nugget jewlery back in the early 70's.

That's where my wife's Canadian Arctic diamond set came from after the Skagway "experience" :)

• 6 months later...
As a Diplomate Gemologist of the Gemological Institute of America, I have to ask why in the world you would buy jewelery in an Alaska port or on the ship? For what reason do you think that a store that is paying sky high rents and expenses for a dock side location is somehow offering a bargain? It is incomprehensible to me.

Now if you want to buy a moose charm or a gold nugget necklace so you can tell your friends, "I got it in Alaska," that is a souvenir. It is as good as a T-shirt or a coffee mug. Go for it!

But diamonds, tanzanite, ammonite, gold jewelery, all of these you should buy from a reputable local jeweler in your home town that has a reputation to uphold and expenses far less than those megashops on the dock in Alaska!

It is impossible for me to agree more on this subject.

I love gold and up until recently have been buying gold custom made jewelry, (price is now too high for me) but I only deal with someone I know, trust and can return to easily if I have a problem.

I agree with most of the PPs and have nothing to add to that, but one of my favorite pieces of jewelry is a pendant I purchased in Skagway. I bought it because I loved the beauty of it and knew it would remind me of our trip every time I looked at it: it's a whale fluke. I purchased it in Skagway in 2007. The store was more gallery than jewelry store and had a variety of local art as well. I plan to return in June. :D

• 2 years later...

Just got back from our cruise yesterday. Check out BBB, most of these cheesy little hustlers (i.e. the ones pushing with the cruise ships) have 'F' ratings, none are BBB approved--be very careful. Most of the jewelry settings are sterling silver, a fact they don't discuss unless directly asked. Save your money & get good stuff from reputable retailers, if you want the real thing.

There are some pieces that are more unique to Alaska. I bought a heavy gold nugget pendant (I only regret that I didn't get a larger one LOL). I also bought a Russian Orthodox cross with gold nuggets, Russian laquered Faberge egg pendants to add to a collection, and some small Russian items that had a personal connection. I could have found the eggs by hunting for a jeweler who carries them, but I was happy to have them to remember the cruise.

The only thing that I regret buying was a lovely opal ring at an end-of-season/going-out-of-business sale. The deal was fantastic. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my D and the setting of the stone prevents it from being re-sized. A deal isn't a deal if no one can wear the ring. Sigh.

Archived