Jewelry in Alaska

cruisinderek

My wife and I will be taking a cruise to Alaska in Sept. is there a spot that has amazing deals on jewelry? We have looked online at Diamonds International and are looking to see if there is a spot that has better prices. Also, what do the prices on the ship look like in comparision to those in port??? I think she was looking for Tanzanite or Ammolite. Any info would be great.

There's jewelry store on every corner and in the middle of every block. The hustles reminded me a little of a Mexican border town. Mind it didn't stop us from shopping, you'd think we'd never seen a jewelry store. :D We also went to the shopping show and bit on the shopping book (hey it was our first cruise). We did get some small pieces at a reasonable prices and sometimes free, not really that bad a deal. I recommend you don't buy the first thing you see unless you just can't live without it. Shop around and be prepared to pay for the Ammolite, it's very pricey, but beautiful. Happy shopping!!

Honestly, unless I felt like haggling, I didn't see anything I couldn't get at the local Kay jewelers, maybe a few local designs. I am sure there are bargains to be found, but personally I'd do a second tour or something before spending that much time...

That said, the glacial silt soap my wife got in Juneau was nice and I found some great carved wood pieces for very reasonable prices on creek street in Ketchikan.

My wife and I will be taking a cruise to Alaska in Sept. is there a spot that has amazing deals on jewelry? We have looked online at Diamonds International and are looking to see if there is a spot that has better prices. Also, what do the prices on the ship look like in comparision to those in port??? I think she was looking for Tanzanite or Ammolite. Any info would be great.

My wife and I will be taking a cruise to Alaska in Sept. is there a spot that has amazing deals on jewelry?

To find an amazing deal, you must first do research before the cruise and learn the local cost of what you are seeking to buy.

Only armed with this knowledge can you tell if what is offered at a store that will never see you again is a bargain or a ripoff.

Two years ago I went shopping the September sales in Skagway for an engagement ring. Even with massive discounts, I still ended up buying from my neighbourhood diamond shop - someone I trust, and diamonds that I know the origin of. All the dealers I went to in Skagway (even a friend of a friend) just came across as being about as trustworthy as the proverbial used car salesman.

Lots and lots of jewelry stores but not much on deals IMHO even if they do attempt to convince you its the greatest deal you'll ever see.;) Research and know exactly what you need to be looking at before you go.

Before we went on our Alaska cruise I decided I hoped to find a gold nugget pendant and gold nugget earrings while on our cruise so I did a LOT of research before we left so I would know what I was and wasn't purchasing and what pricing I should expect for what I wanted. I've been very happy with what I ended up purchasing in Alaska( all found in Skagway with the pendant at one jewelers and nuggets at another jewelers that I had post added to become earrings) but I would have never purchased without all the research I did before we left. And I was fully prepared to come home without what I wanted if I didn't find pieces that fit what I was looking for in quality and price.

Everyone's budget is different but if you are planning to spend what you consider a lot of money you are much better purchasing at home at a dealer you can deal with in person should you find you have any problems afterwards. If you are buying simply because you really like the piece and aren't concerned with the overall quality of what you purchase and aren't spending what you consider to be a lot of money there is some beautiful jewelry to be found.:)

As a Diplomate Gemologist of the Gemological Institute of America, I have to ask why in the world you would buy jewelery in an Alaska port or on the ship? For what reason do you think that a store that is paying sky high rents and expenses for a dock side location is somehow offering a bargain? It is incomprehensible to me.

Now if you want to buy a moose charm or a gold nugget necklace so you can tell your friends, "I got it in Alaska," that is a souvenir. It is as good as a T-shirt or a coffee mug. Go for it!

But diamonds, tanzanite, ammonite, gold jewelery, all of these you should buy from a reputable local jeweler in your home town that has a reputation to uphold and expenses far less than those megashops on the dock in Alaska!

Every port is loaded with jewelry stores that sell in Alaska in the summer and the Caribbean in the winter. IMO, they swoop in to "make the kill ($) and don't benefit the community.

We search for the little, LOCAL guy (or gal) and really enjoy working with them. Sometimes they're hard to find cuz the big guys can pay high rent just across from the ship docks.

One tiny place I found last year (and will return to this year), however, was right across from the ship, in Ketchikan.

I appreciate it if they have a sign in the window (LOCALLY OWNED) and will go into those shops.

Support Alaska...........;)

As a Diplomate Gemologist of the Gemological Institute of America, I have to ask why in the world you would buy jewelry in an Alaska port or on the ship? For what reason do you think that a store that is paying sky high rents and expenses for a dock side location is somehow offering a bargain? It is incomprehensible to me.

Now if you want to buy a moose charm or a gold nugget necklace so you can tell your friends, "I got it in Alaska," that is a souvenir. It is as good as a T-shirt or a coffee mug. Go for it!

But diamonds, tanzanite, ammonite, gold jewelery, all of these you should buy from a reputable local jeweler in your home town that has a reputation to uphold and expenses far less than those megashops on the dock in Alaska!

Yep, what he said.

How does taking a cruise and buying jewelry relate?

Isn't there a mine in Alberta that is one of the biggest sources of Ammolite? I think I read somewhere along the line that Victoria was a good place to buy it. :confused: If I remember correctly, the article indicated that the Canadian pricing was hard to beat (much better than Alaska, Caribbean, etc).

Anyone know if this is the case? And if so, any recommendations for stores selling it in Victoria?

Some of the large stores that you see in the Caribbean are now in Alaska. They try to price the items as if they are duty free to offer the same type of prices that you would see in the caribbean.

Keith

As far as Ammolite is concerned, check out the prices on E BAy, for a few weeks.

For two years I have purchased over a hundred pieces of Ammolite, and Ammotite. Some sellers claim that you can buy at a tenth of the so called retail price, which is between $125to $150 per sq centimeter, for AA grade, and in many cases they have been right.

Three years ago I paid $300.00 Can. plus $15 tax for a nice piece, [so I thought], from a 'factory' in Calgary, two months later I got a better piece on E bay for $40.00 US plus $2.00 postage. At that time the Canadian $ was high, at about $1.08.

I brought a 7 inch ammotite for $99.00 plus $10.00 postage, it had some very nice colour. In Alaska I saw one very similar to mine 7 inches, so I asked to see it, When I turned it over, I saw the price $44,000!!!!! I did not want it, but I got the price down to $4,200. At this point I showed the pendant that I had on,, under my shirt and half a dozen other pieces, my wife and I wear it on cruises, [i had been in the store before, it was right by the ship], so I took along the pieces that we had. They could not believe the prices that I had paid, as they were one tenth of retail.

john

You will find better prices at home for some things and for others you may get decent deals in St. Thomas or St. Martin. I emphasize these two locations because they have a much longer summer as people go to the caribbean for most of the year, whereas people go to Alaska 4 to 5 mos. of the year.

This is a supply and demand issue and the same stores will be selling the same exact item for much less in St. Thomas.

I have a reputable jeweler in St. Thomas that I have been using for years, but I'd rather purchase diamonds from a local dealer back home that my family has been using for decades. They are expensive back home, but the quality is amazing. The store I like in St. Thomas is Imperial Jewelers and it is NOT one of the stores that is referred by the cruise lines, as they are local to St. Thomas and family run. If you go ask for Charley, he is the owner.

The store I go to at home is Limon's Gem's and Jewels. The person who started this shop measured the Hope Diamond in the Smithsonian. They have VERY high quality jewelry. Cliff is now running the shop and everything they make is custom and by hand.

Neil

As far as Ammolite is concerned, check out the prices on E BAy, for a few weeks.

For two years I have purchased over a hundred pieces of Ammolite, and Ammotite. Some sellers claim that you can buy at a tenth of the so called retail price, which is between $125to $150 per sq centimeter, for AA grade, and in many cases they have been right.

Three years ago I paid $300.00 Can. plus $15 tax for a nice piece, [so I thought], from a 'factory' in Calgary, two months later I got a better piece on E bay for $40.00 US plus $2.00 postage. At that time the Canadian $ was high, at about $1.08.

I brought a 7 inch ammotite for $99.00 plus $10.00 postage, it had some very nice colour. In Alaska I saw one very similar to mine 7 inches, so I asked to see it, When I turned it over, I saw the price $44,000!!!!! I did not want it, but I got the price down to $4,200. At this point I showed the pendant that I had on,, under my shirt and half a dozen other pieces, my wife and I wear it on cruises, [i had been in the store before, it was right by the ship], so I took along the pieces that we had. They could not believe the prices that I had paid, as they were one tenth of retail.

john[/quote

For Ammotite read Ammonite. Sorry about that.

john

• 2 weeks later...

As we were getting on the boat in Seattle we picked up a coupon book that had lots of good coupons for each port. We also went to a shopping show on the first day at sea and got lots of coupons for jewlery and other souvinirs. We didn't stay for the whole thing because the jewelry push got to be a little much. I bought a few nice, inexpensive pieces that I am pleased with. My sisters bought many unique, more expensive pieces. If I could do one thing differently I would have left more room in my suitcase and carry on to bring home more souvinirs. I ended up ordering some things online after I got home!

Not sure about jewels, but there was a store in Skagway that had pretty decent deals on watches (I can't remember the name of the store however). I looked at a few Omega pieces, but the prices were also good on Tag and Breitling. Just be sure and prepare yourself before you travel so you will know if it is a deal or a dud.

The key is to know your prices and be prepaired to negotiate...in September there can be some good deals to be had. Pricing on major name brand watches like Tag are controlled by the manufacturer so check out the ships duty free pricing before you go ashore.

• 4 weeks later...
You will find better prices at home for some things and for others you may get decent deals in St. Thomas or St. Martin. I emphasize these two locations because they have a much longer summer as people go to the caribbean for most of the year, whereas people go to Alaska 4 to 5 mos. of the year.

This is a supply and demand issue and the same stores will be selling the same exact item for much less in St. Thomas.

I have a reputable jeweler in St. Thomas that I have been using for years, but I'd rather purchase diamonds from a local dealer back home that my family has been using for decades. They are expensive back home, but the quality is amazing. The store I like in St. Thomas is Imperial Jewelers and it is NOT one of the stores that is referred by the cruise lines, as they are local to St. Thomas and family run. If you go ask for Charley, he is the owner.

The store I go to at home is Limon's Gem's and Jewels. The person who started this shop measured the Hope Diamond in the Smithsonian. They have VERY high quality jewelry. Cliff is now running the shop and everything they make is custom and by hand.

Neil

Neil,

I have used Charley for YEARS. I also use his daughter Varsha in Aruba.. I will check out Limon because if they are anything like Charley and the rest of the family..I am in! Just last week, I spoke to Charley abiut a ring I had bought and a stone had fallen out. He sent me to his wholesaler in NYC and fixed it for free. That is not the only time he has stood behind his merchandise!

Karen

Keep in mind this was my first cruise before you snicker too hard.

I went to the port shopping thing. Boy, that is an hour of my life I will never get back! I bought the book that got me the freebies in all of the ports. Let me tell you, it is all pretty much junk. It gave us something to do while walking around town, since we didn't go excursion-crazy. But I showed my little form, got my free stuff, and walked out. No one pressured me to buy anything else. The pressure came from the shops that weren't advertised, but had out a "free cruise ship" git sign... after 2, I quit going in, because they wouldn't let me out. But I had fun on my little scavenger hunt, and I'll be filling my daughters stockings for years with the trinkets I picked up.

Now, the exception was the EFFY stores. DH has bought me some EFFY pieces in the past, and I love them. The ship was handing out a flyer for a free gemstone pendant from EFFY in every port, so I stopped in, and all of them had a deal that you got the free pendant, and could buy matching studs for $10. The jewelry was completely overpriced, but beautiful. The ammount they wanted for a necklace was what my DH says he spent on the exact same necklace, matching earrings and ring here at home. But like I said, the freebies at the EFFY store were the best ones I found, just for reference.

The key is to know your prices and be prepaired to negotiate...in September there can be some good deals to be had.

I went to the September sales in Skagway 3 years ago looking for an engagement ring. Went to 5 shops, one even owned by a local friend of mine - the went home to a jeweler I trust and got the perfect stone/ring for about the same price as the "70%+ off" sales.

I went to the September sales in Skagway 3 years ago looking for an engagement ring. Went to 5 shops, one even owned by a local friend of mine - the went home to a jeweler I trust and got the perfect stone/ring for about the same price as the "70%+ off" sales.

I should have added and be prepared to walk out the door...if they let you go, you know you are below their floor price.;)

I see that Murdoch's are sitll in biz in Whitehorse I bought a nugget charm for DW and several other pieces of nugget jewlery back in the early 70's.

Archived