Vigo to Santiago de Compostela

rgreenba

I'd like to suggest that anyone visiting Santiago de Compostela, whether from Vigo or La Coruña (or any other place), watch Martin Sheen's movie, "The Way," before you go. I think you'll appreciate your visit even more.

Hard to say. Coruña is 67 km, Vigo 88 km. So it would be much more convenient from Coruña. The truck line has recently be updated and it's just 28 minutes from 80 minutes from Vigo under renovation.

But train station in Vigo is 1 mile from port in Vigo vs 6 miles in Coruña. My choice. Coruña and taxi to port and station (inexpensive). In Santiago old town is just 1 km from station.

Thank you very much for your advice Keltic. I have seen the movie and would love to do the walk but my husband will not.

Two years ago after having seen the movie we hiked for five days into Santiago de Compostela. We then spent three nights there. I loved it and would love to do a long section of the movie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Keltic, We will be on the Rotterdam in September visiting La Caruna and Vigo. The ship offers excursions to Santiago from both ports. If we want to take the train on our own from which port is easier to get there? Many thanks.

Last August I went to Santiago de Compstela from A Coruna, taking the bus from where the ship docks to the station (€1, 3 minutes). We then took the 10.30 train (and booked the 3.15 return - from memory it cost €13) which got us to S de C by about 11.10. From there it's a 10-15 minute walk to the cathedral area. So going there is much quicker than from Vigo.

Having returned to A Coruna train station by about 4 pm we then took a taxi (€8) to see the Tower of Hercules (entry €3) and spent 30 minutes there. From the top you will be able to see your ship, 2 miles away. It was easy to walk back from there and took about 30 minutes.

It all looked like this. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]7-IqpTL-nDc[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]PNSzwenfqas[/YOUTUBE]

Well I will have all of the train schedule info just in case I can talk my friends into training instead of taxing into Santiago de Compostela. It makes so much more sense --- but you all know when you travel with friends you make compromises. One thing I will not compromise on is lunch that day at Bodeguilla San Roque. My mouth has been watering for the jamon iberico, padron peppers and Albariño.

And Octupus. There's a better thing called Tixolas at Bodeguilla. These are frying pans with different things in it. The best the mushrooms and local prawns. The cathedral is just one thing we offer in Santiago

I'll add that to our lunch menu. Anything else you suggest we order?

And yes, there is so much more to Santiago than the cathedral.i love the vibe from all of the university students.

You should go to the market and sample something at Abastos. It's a wine bar which leads directly to the market. It's a place where young galician cookers prepar imaginative tapas. You could buy your own food and take them directly to another place at the market. At only 4 euros they will cook it for you.

Other recommended places for lunch would be O Dezaseis, or Casa Felisa. Perhaps something at El Franco Street. I suggest all of our delicacies and good almond Santiago cake at La Mora.

For wine appart from Albariño, try Mencia as red one from Rivera Sacra.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No charge to get into the cathedral. Around the cathedral there are plenty of souvenirs shops. Most regular shops can be found in Ensanche (modern area and shopping centers of El Corte Inglés, Cancelas and Area Central). In case you are interested in local shopping jetstone jewelry, bobbing lace (Camariñas), local pottery of Sargadelos...and so on. I particularly like Amboa in Rua Nova. Tourist tend to love it.