Pacific Pearl, what's the story?

We are considering a cruise on the pacific Pearl, 28 day Tahitian treasures cruise in 2011, but I'm not sure about the ship? We sailed on the Diamond Princess as our first cruise so I am worried that the pacific pearl will be a disappointment?

The itinerary though looks awesome and I would love to escape winter for four weeks. Also wondering if there would be any other children on board for our 5 year old to play with as it is not just in the school holidays.

Also will we be able to use the 28 days on a P&O ship towards our princess loyalty total?

I am a little confused about this ship from what I have read so far? Has it been refitted already or is it still about to be refurbished?

Thanks in advance.

:)

We are considering a cruise on the pacific Pearl, 28 day Tahitian treasures cruise in 2011, but I'm not sure about the ship? We sailed on the Diamond Princess as our first cruise so I am worried that the pacific pearl will be a disappointment?

The itinerary though looks awesome and I would love to escape winter for four weeks. Also wondering if there would be any other children on board for our 5 year old to play with as it is not just in the school holidays.

Also will we be able to use the 28 days on a P&O ship towards our princess loyalty total?

I am a little confused about this ship from what I have read so far? Has it been refitted already or is it still about to be refurbished?

Thanks in advance.

:)

hi, if you do a google search on the Pacific Pearl it looks ok but the Diamond Princess is 5 star and the Pearl is maybe a 3 half star but its getting a refit soon so go and enjoy yourself.....not sure about school kids as its not school holidays

any days on p&o count towards your princess loyalty benefits

rkmw

Hi Silverwillow, as you probably know Pacific Pearl is currently named Ocean Village and sails for a cruise line of the same name. Her last cruise leaves from the Mediteranian on 21 October 2010 for a 21 night cruise terminating in Singapore, where she is to be refitted/renamed etc. The first view we will get of her is when she shows up in Auckland as Pacific Pearl prior to her first cruise as a P & O ship (this leaves on 22 December 2010). Some posters have indicated that there may be a cruise especialy for T/As before her official 1st cruise.

There are a number of other threads discussing her and containing photos of her. She looks great with a large panoramic walk-around observation lounge and swim-up bar. The Ov'ers love her and are extremely sorry to see her go. I think she may well turn into a favourite. Having said that though I know that she will not be as flash as the current Princess ships, all depends on what you are after with your cruise experience.

I also have my eye on the Tahiti cruise you mentioned as it's a great itinerary, but may have to settle for a shorter cruise because of work commitments. As we haven't seen her yet not much else is known at this stage, fingers crossed they don't change her too much in the refurb.

Jenny

Great I am glad the total will go towards my princess captains circle total as I can have another excuse to cruise to get to gold. hehe

I don't mind if the ship is not as flash or as big as the Diamond but I really want to have space to relax with good service and a good kids club. Never been on a P&O so not sure what sort of service expect.

Also do the p&o ships have self service laundry or do you have to get the ship to do your laundry? How much is this generally? I am sure we would need to use this quite a bit on a 28 day cruise.

TIA :)

The Tahiti itinerary is superb.

P & O offers a different product to Princess and aim more towards family cruising. The staff are great with both cruiselines, but P & O seems to offer more on-board activities than Princess.

Longer cruises have an older demographic than short ones, but there are always some kids on board. Although I haven't used the kids' clubs for years, I have heard that they are better on P & O than on Princess.

We also have our eye on the Pacific Pearl, 28 day Tahitian treasures cruise in 2011. :)

I don't mind if the ship is not as flash or as big as the Diamond but I really want to have space to relax with good service and a good kids club. Never been on a P&O so not sure what sort of service expect. .

We have done 5 cruises with P&O but I have not been on Princess before, although we have done a Holland America cruse, and to what I have read Princess is a bit like Holland America, so if my thinking is correct you might find you will have a really great time onboard, but it will be a lot different to Princess.

One tip is keep a open mind when going on this cruse and try not to compeer ships / services

Also do the p&o ships have self service laundry or do you have to get the ship to do your laundry? How much is this generally? I am sure we would need to use this quite a bit on a 28 day cruise.

Yes, p&o ships have self service laundry, I cant remember how much it was, but you will need $1 & $2 coins

Thanks, I must say the itinerary is just fantastic so I am leaning towards going for it.

Do you have to tip on these ships?

Also is July a good time to travel to the South Pacific?

Is the food good?

Cheers, :)

I'm under the impression the Pearl will be the nicest of the P&O fleet, in a way it sort of has the best of everything P&O has on offer e.g. the dome, swim up bar, pacific cirque, less passengers yet longer ship with same amount of decks which means more space for everyone. The pool deck looks really nice and the fencing around the outside is glass which looks really panoramic not solid steel.

Most Ocean Village cruisers also say they preferred the OV1(pearl) to the OV2(jewel) which is a good sign for the ship.

It will definiely be a lot cosier then the Diamond Princess, then at the same time it carries less passengers on board.

P&O have marked it with their school holidays smiley face in the brochure which means it will be a family friendly cruise.

Pearl gets refitted later in the year.

No need to tip as P&O now include gratuities in your upfront price, unless you get unbelievable service then its up to you.

July is a great time in the South Pacific as it is their "dry" season, they have similar hot weather year round just in our winter they have far less rain and storms. It just might be chilly for a couple of days leaving and coming back, but not to worry you'll have weeks of great warm weather :P

The food is amazing, I would say the menus are better then what Princess offers, check it out for yourself http://www.pocruises.com.au/NewToCruising/Pages/Cuisine.aspx

Sample the breaky, lunch and dinner menus there.

Think going on this cruise as well, amazing itinerary.

I would book this cruise in a heartbeat if I didn't already have 3 cruises already lined up ;).

I have friends who have booked it, and they are taking their two school aged kids. They got the cruise for $8000 + $300obc. That is an amazing price for a 28 night cruise.

I think you might find quite a few kids on the cruise as it does include 2 weeks of school holidays. It's not often a cruise this long coincides with school holidays. I just wish I could join you....sigh.

From what I have observed on P&O Australia ships (Star, Sun and Dawn) - the young children have an absolute ball in the kids club. I have no experience with other cruiselines - but I am convinced that P&O (Australia) do a really great job with the kids - and the (usually Filipino) kids club staff seem to really enjoy their work. On a recent cruise to Tasmania , they had a kid's sailaway party on the Lido deck I thought it was the best sailaway of the cruise!! :o

Barry

Great I am glad the total will go towards my princess captains circle total as I can have another excuse to cruise to get to gold. hehe

I don't mind if the ship is not as flash or as big as the Diamond but I really want to have space to relax with good service and a good kids club. Never been on a P&O so not sure what sort of service expect.

TIA :)

We did the Tahitian Treasures on the Pacific Sun from Auckland on 3rd May - around 20 nights -and loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The laundry (DIY) cost a total of $6 per load - $4 for the washing machine and $2 for the dryer I think. I know that we used $1 coins. Washing powder is extra and it may be worth bringing a small amount of your own if you like a "brand" name washing powder.

On the Pac Sun, there were two laundrettes and I found it best to go there first thing in the morning, put your washing on while you went to breakfast and then use the dryer straight after. And I always made sure I was there to empty it out before someone unloaded it all for me !!

Doing a 28 day cruise is a great way to get to the next level - or at least a leg up - for your Captain's Circle so go for it !!

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked the 10 day cruise calling into Penecost Island on the Pearl leaving Auckland 30th May 2011.

Looking forward to the trip. It will be interesting to see how she compares to the Sun and Star.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to all,

We were on the Tahitian Treasures cruise last year on the Dawn and are planning to do the one in 2011 on the Pearl.

This is one of the best itineraries around and the ports are great.

The cruise ship you are on is only as good as YOU make it. After fifty years of cruising I still enjoy each and every one from the moment I board till I leave.

Hey Rose,

I can't believe how many cruises you've been on since we saw you! I'm jealous reading your list now...

We're looking at the Island Delights on Pacific Pearl on March 11.... were going to go later in the year but has been difficult to find dates to fit in with, so have just sent a couple of emails for quotes tonight.... Taking the kids this time.

I noticed some of the Royal Carribean ships have family rooms that take up to 6 people. Have you seen any of these? We're gonna need 3 cabins on P&O :eek:

Kylie and Dean

• 9 months later...

Have just done a 15 day tour on Pacific Pearl. It was wonderful, staff were great, food excellent, cabin great,in fact no complaints at all. Wern`t travelling with children & even though it wasn`t school holidays were quite a few on board of all ages, hardly ever saw them as they were so well entertained in their special areas. Ship has had its refit & it is very nicely done. Lots of things to do when at sea, the shows were pretty good too. I wouldnt hasitate recomending this ship to anyone.

Archived