Liquor pricing for onboard consumption

Underwatr

We may be interested in having a bottle or two of gin or scotch for consumption in our stateroom; I understand from other posts that this can be procured by asking your stateroom steward, and that on the other hand the duty-free shop purchases are held until departure.

Can someone provide some insight as to the brands and likely pricing for in-statreroom liquor? I've read that it's not much higher than retail pricing, but I've noticed that the pricing for wine and champagne delivered to the room (as it appears in the gift list) is significantly higher than the retail price for similar quality.

Or is it just easier to include a bottle of gin among the wine that we will bring aboard?

Hi there,

I hope this may be of help.

We've just got back today from a roundtrip transatlantic on QM2.

The room service menu includes drinks as well as food, and although I can't remember all the brands available, premium whisky, gin, vodka and rum were available by the litre bottle + 6 cans of soft drinks for $47.

Wine started at $5.95 per glass (150ml) and could be bought by the bottle.

Champagne started at around $58 per bottle for Perrier Jouet, Veuve Cliquot $76 per bottle,... I seem to remember there was also Pol Acker which was quite a bit cheaper too. Although we didn't try that one.

Soft drinks were $1.95 per can.

There was 15% service added to the above.

We took 4 bottles of champagne with us and our steward put it on ice when we wanted it, there were no problems at all with this.

This is the third time we've taken drinks on board and no-one has given us any bother.

Sorry if my champagne spellings aren't correct, I'm more concerned withe drinking it than spelling it:).

I hope you have a fantastic time.

Denise

Champagne started at around $58 per bottle for Perrier Jouet, Veuve Cliquot $76 per bottle,... I seem to remember there was also Pol Acker which was quite a bit cheaper too. Although we didn't try that one.

Denise

tsk, tsk, you missed out the "C".

Now write out 100 times:

I must remember to spell Veuve Clicquot gooder next time.

Alternatively, just call it "Widow".

Thanks, snoozy - that really does help. We'll get by either way. DW does love her Smirnoff...

Looks like the champagne prices are the same as the pre-sail gift pricing, after you've added the 15% to your prices.

BTW, doing some research on the other prices in the gift brochure:

Catena Alta Malbec -------- Onboard $87.40 Retail (PA) $47.99

Cab Sauv Penfolds Bin 407 - Onboard $57.50 Retail $34.09

Pinot Noir ‘J’ -------------- Onboard $69.00 Retail $49.99

For the most part, once the corkage is added to the retail wine it's not a bad comparison.

Hi there,

I hope this may be of help.

We've just got back today from a roundtrip transatlantic on QM2.

The room service menu includes drinks as well as food, and although I can't remember all the brands available, premium whisky, gin, vodka and rum were available by the litre bottle + 6 cans of soft drinks for $47.

Wine started at $5.95 per glass (150ml) and could be bought by the bottle.

Soft drinks were $1.95 per can.

There was 15% service added to the above.

We took 4 bottles of champagne with us and our steward put it on ice when we wanted it, there were no problems at all with this.

This is the third time we've taken drinks on board and no-one has given us any bother.

Sorry if my champagne spellings aren't correct, I'm more concerned withe drinking it than spelling it:).

I hope you have a fantastic time.

Denise

Hi Denise. Thanks for that info. I never thought of asking the steward (Britannia) to put our champagne/wine on ice. Were you in the Grills category?

Thanks again,

Salacia

P.S. Smart move on not ordering the Pol Acker IMHO ;)

Big Mac ..... I knew I'd spelt it wrong. But having been out of bed since 4am yesterday my mind was a bit befuddled :).

Salacia - we were in Britannia, deck 8, balcony with restricted view. but as it was fog for more than half of our roundtrip we actually didn't mind at all. Our steward was very obliging with the champagne bucket and ice. In fact he brought us fresh ice twice a day as well.

The Pol Acker on the room service menu is the same brand as the complimentary sailaway stuff. We had ours in the morning topped up with orange juice from the room service breakfast.

Whilst on the subject of alcohol, we found the duty free price to be extremely good value. 1 litre bacardi $15. They delivered it to our room on the last day of our voyage.

So sad to be back. :(

I never thought of asking the steward (Britannia) to put our champagne/wine on ice.

On my first Cunard voyage (Britannia grade on QM2) I pre-ordered champagne to be waiting, chilled in the cabin. I also took other bottles as well. My steward noticed that I was trying to use the in-cabin 'fridge to chill these later in the voyage and offered to get a bucket and ice for me "as the 'fridge is never cold enough on it's own". So very helpful and such a nice touch.

Since then I've not pre-ordered but boarded with champagne and used the "welcome" bucket/ice on the table in the cabin (removing the pol with safety tongs, industrial gloves and a welders helmet/face mask) to chill the bottle during lunch and lifeboat drill ready for sailaway.

P.S. Smart move on not ordering the Pol Acker IMHO ;)

I've never been able to work out why they give away glass bottles of such a powerful fluid to people on boarding (in place of something passengers could drink and celebrate departure with).

Do they expect those in steerage to help clean the underside of the ship during the voyage? I ask because I've found it invaluable for removing barnacles from the bottom of a friend's boat, just the smallest drop and a quick, light rub and they're gone. Mind you, apply too much and they've got another hole to plug.

Which reminds me, advice for new passengers, don't spill the stuff, like the scene from Alien, it'll burn through several decks all the way down to the purser's desk if you're not careful :eek:.

I am seriously concerned that, because of the packaging and careless positioning within the cabin, someone might think it was for internal consumption.

In 2006, when we received our anniversary gifts, we had a bottle of something a bit better as a gift, in addition to the customary in room beverage.

Last year and this year, we would, I think be entitled to the gifts again but we did it once and feel that was enough.

In 2006, we made the mistake of cherishing the 'free' stuff and taking it to celebrate our first time in NY.

Last year we just left it in the fridge. Perhaps that's why they give it to you- so that it is just left and ultimately saves money by recycling.

I think perhaps we'll take our own bubbly this year to celebrate and leave it to chill.Peppern, that's a great idea.

I ask because I've found it invaluable for removing barnacles from the bottom of a friend's boat, just the smallest drop and a quick, light rub and they're gone. Mind you, apply too much and they've got another hole to plug.

Pepper, a timely warning if I may say so. Here's a photograph that, I believe, amply demonstrates the terrible consequences of attempting to launch a ship by smashing a bottle of Pol Acker on the bow. :eek:

J

02_kovera1.jpg

In 2006, when we received our anniversary gifts, we had a bottle of something a bit better as a gift, in addition to the customary in room beverage.
I was going to ask whether the purchased 'gift' bottle would be in addition to or in place of the complimentary bottle. Now I'm not sure which is the preferred answer... ;)

Pepper, a timely warning if I may say so. Here's a photograph that, I believe, amply demonstrates the terrible consequences of attempting to launch a ship by smashing a bottle of Pol Acker on the bow. :eek: J

Thank you Crauchan, wonderful picture.

It seems the dangers associated with the contents of a pol bottle are well known and therefore they make the containers indestructible. Thank goodness.

I found a picture of the place where they make it (taken from a safe distance)...

151608120_polplantandtransportship.jpg.b6d0327f8c5db5e08d87078641fece1f.jpg

Or is it just easier to include a bottle of gin among the wine that we will bring aboard?

That's what I've done, esp when I've got a balcony to enjoy an evening drink on. Scotch is my preference.

Have a great time and Bon Voyage.

Thank you Crauchan, wonderful picture.

It seems the dangers associated with the contents of a pol bottle are well known and therefore they make the containers indestructible. Thank goodness.

I found a picture of the place where they make it (taken from a safe distance)...

Now, that looks very like an Essberger tanker. I really would not have thought that such a reputable firm would have stooped so low as to actually transport a substance as dangerous as PA around the world's oceans. :eek::eek:

J

The reason they give you Pol Acker is to destroy all known traces of norovirus from anyone who is silly enough to drink it:rolleyes:

They take the view that if it is free then passengers will drink it and it is probably cheaper than cleaning everything with disinfectant/bleach.

The reason they give you Pol Acker is to destroy all known traces of norovirus from anyone who is silly enough to drink it:rolleyes:

quote]

In all these years, all in the grills, why do they persist in augmenting our champagne with PA? Haven't they noticed that there's never been an empty yet out of our suite?

What plonker in Cunard ordered 2 million bottles of the stuff? When do we hope it runs out?

This is real conspricacy stuff.

Will it ever run out? or will they just order more?

Scary

Hi all, could someone please tell me more about the "bring wine onboard" rules? My travel companion is having a "significant birthday" during our Royal Circumnavigation 2012, the day before we arrive in his birth city of Sydney , and a bit of bubbly might be shared!

Official word in the Cruise Contract:

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants.

Of course that's just the "official" word...

Official word in the Cruise Contract:

Of course that's just the "official" word...

Thanks for the clarification. We plan to take a TA on the QV next spring. Will board in Florida with some supplies and may buy some along the way. $15 corking fee is reasonable.

Archived