NOLA Departure ?

alwalaska

Can anyone tell me how long it takes after departure before you hit open waters?

Also, is there anything in particular that is cool to watch or see on the way out?

When we sailed out of NJ, it was really cool going under the bridge that wasn't much higher than the ship.

Is there a better side to be on for sail away?

Can anyone tell me how long it takes after departure before you hit open waters?

Also, is there anything in particular that is cool to watch or see on the way out?

When we sailed out of NJ, it was really cool going under the bridge that wasn't much higher than the ship.

Is there a better side to be on for sail away?

Hi Ann,

Leaving from New Orleans is always a treat for us. The port is right next to the Crescent City Connection (Mississippi River bridge).

We usually sit on the port (left) side as soon as the ship takes off as you get a great view of Canal St. and downtown New Orleans. You'll be looking at the French Quarter and St. Louis Cathedral in particular. Right afterwards, you can tell why the city is called the Crescent City as the ship navigates around the bend in the river. Usually a bit further downstream there are numbers of barges plying the waters as well as quite a few cargo ships coming upriver, going downriver or just anchored in the Mississippi.

A few miles on downriver, also on the port side, you'll see the Chalmette Battlefield where the Battle of New Orleans took place.

Most cruise ships ships take off in the afternoon so you'll spend the next few hours on deck with your favorite beverage in hand and enjoying a nice, cool breeze as you make your way down the Mississippi on your way to the Gulf.

Hope this gets you fired up for your cruise! :)

Jorge

Thanks all! Thank you to the moderator who moved this to the correct forum as well. Can you tell where I am used to sailing from? No wonder my searches weren't coming up with anything relevant. :rolleyes:

Jorge, I'm already fired up for the cruise and it isn't until March, but I am now really excited for sail-away as well. We have never been to this area of the country and we love seeing new things. Thanks for pointing out some of the things we will be passing. This might be a good night to eat dinner outside and watch the world passing by.

Firefly, wow, 8 hours seems like a long time. It doesn't seem that far. We leave at 5pm and sunset is around 7pm, so I guess it will be dark a long time before we run out of things to look at. Thank you for the warning about the rough seas entering the gulf. DH gets sea sick if things get rough, so we will have him wear a patch that night just in case.

We sailed on the Carnival Fantasy last summer. You will sail down the river for a long time. I think the 8 hours mentioned is correct. New Orleans is such a neat city. I think you will enjoy this port. We will be on the Spirit out of New Orleans in December. I hope you plan to visit the French Quarter.

We sailed on the Carnival Fantasy last summer. You will sail down the river for a long time. I think the 8 hours mentioned is correct. New Orleans is such a neat city. I think you will enjoy this port. We will be on the Spirit out of New Orleans in December. I hope you plan to visit the French Quarter.

If you happen to take pictures of the MDR menus on the Spirit in Dec, please post them over on the NCL boards. :D

We plan on arriving on Saturday very early in the day to tour a little of the French Quarter. We'll probably stay on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain Friday night to save some money, tour Saturday, and board the ship on Sunday. Since DS is doing High School and college concurrent enrollment this year, and we are driving down from Ohio, we don't have too much extra time.

With only 1 day, what are the must sees?

We took a city tour and really enjoyed it. Went went to one of the cemetaries and that was really interesting. They drove us down some streets and showed us the homes of famous people like Anne Rice. There is so much history in this city. You might enjoy riding the trolley also.

The French Quarter is a must see.

Thanks all! Thank you to the moderator who moved this to the correct forum as well. Can you tell where I am used to sailing from? No wonder my searches weren't coming up with anything relevant. :rolleyes:

Jorge, I'm already fired up for the cruise and it isn't until March, but I am now really excited for sail-away as well. We have never been to this area of the country and we love seeing new things. Thanks for pointing out some of the things we will be passing. This might be a good night to eat dinner outside and watch the world passing by.

Firefly, wow, 8 hours seems like a long time. It doesn't seem that far. We leave at 5pm and sunset is around 7pm, so I guess it will be dark a long time before we run out of things to look at. Thank you for the warning about the rough seas entering the gulf. DH gets sea sick if things get rough, so we will have him wear a patch that night just in case.

I dont think you will need a patch, its rough, as in vibrating, not big waves tossing the ship about. I knew someone who did a aft facing OV the next leg after mine and he too hated it. If you arent all the way aft, and low down, it will be fine.

I do so miss eating early dinner and watching the sunset in New Orleans. The sun isnt down yet if you leave from Galveston if you have early dinner. I did miss that on Triumph. Its a beautiful ship. I have a friend joining me on a short Triumph mid Dec this year. We are staying at Drury and I cant wait to see if she likes it.

I dont think you will need a patch, its rough, as in vibrating, not big waves tossing the ship about. I knew someone who did a aft facing OV the next leg after mine and he too hated it. If you arent all the way aft, and low down, it will be fine.

I do so miss eating early dinner and watching the sunset in New Orleans. The sun isnt down yet if you leave from Galveston if you have early dinner. I did miss that on Triumph. Its a beautiful ship. I have a friend joining me on a short Triumph mid Dec this year. We are staying at Drury and I cant wait to see if she likes it.

Thanks. We are only on deck 5, but we are pretty far forward. Hopefully we will sleep right through it.

We will be on the Spirit out of New Orleans. Supposedly the ship has some significant vibration issues, so maybe we will just feel like we are getting a good massage at night. ;)

The Drury looks really nice. I'll try and remember to do a review when we get back.

If you happen to take pictures of the MDR menus on the Spirit in Dec, please post them over on the NCL boards. :D

We plan on arriving on Saturday very early in the day to tour a little of the French Quarter. We'll probably stay on the other side of Lake Pontchartrain Friday night to save some money, tour Saturday, and board the ship on Sunday. Since DS is doing High School and college concurrent enrollment this year, and we are driving down from Ohio, we don't have too much extra time.

With only 1 day, what are the must sees?

Hi Ann,

Must sees for your one day in December. From Slidell come over the Twin Span (I-10 bridge over Lake Pontchartrain) straight to the FQ, park in the huge lot which is right on the River and across the street from Jackson Square.

Enjoy beignets and a cup of cafe-au-lait at Cafe Du Monde. This is a great spot to people watch and to go over your gameplan.Then head across the street and take a peek inside St. Luis Cathedral, it's well worth it.

From there take a leisurely stroll on Royal Street and window shop as we have great antique shops, art galleries and yes plenty of shops for you to find that last minute article of clothing that you "forgot to bring". My wife Dawn's great at this :).

Enjoy a great lunch just about anywhere.

Take a short walk, (4 or 5 blocks should do it) down Bourbon St. During the day it's pretty tame but you'll get the idea.

Stroll around the open air French Market and do some more window shopping.

Before you get into your car, be sure to visit the "Moonwalk" as it's right next to where you parked. It's a promenade right on the Mississippi River and has benches that so you can watch the traffic on the river. You can also do this as soon as you get there in the morning.

Last piece of advice, go online and get a good walking map of the FQ, be mindful of your sorroundings and don't be in a hurry. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. New Orleans is like no other. :D

These are just a few suggestions, you will have many others chiming in, I'm sure.

Jorge

My first cruise in 2007 was out of New Orleans and I was FASCINATED by all there was to see that first evening ~ all the ships and such lit-up with what seemed to be Christmas like-lights!! I can't wait until we sail out of there again ~ Feb 2011!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Our only cruise from NOLA was in 2003 on the Grandeur of the Seas--we enjoyed sailing on the Mississippi out to the Gulf (several hours--8 hrs. sounds pretty close). We were fascinated by the sights--including the oil rigs on the gulf, and the transition from the river to the Gulf waters. Returning back up the river in the evening was wonderful, seeing all the lights from both sides and other ships--so much to look at! After debarkation, we stayed 2 nights post cruise to experience the city for the 1st time and we just loved it. We've been talking ever since about going back. Hope to do just that in the not too distant future.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 11 months later...

I love, love, love sailing down the Mississippi. It is fascinating even if you are not from here. If you look through the posts (can't remember if it is the New Orleans thread or the Gulf Coast Departures threads) there is an excellent and thorough description of the sites you will see including where the Battle of New Orleans was fought during the War of 1812. It is also neat when you get to the Gulf of Mexico and see the lights from all of the oil rigs.

It does take 8-9 hours to get to the Gulf. While you are on the Mississippi River the ship is being steered by a Mississippi riverboat pilot. Only when they get to the Gulf does he jump off to a tugboat and the ship's Captain take over. The same will happen when the ship returns. I have always wanted to see the pilot "jump" off, but I have never been in the right place at the right time.

Archived