Formal or Informal

Jerry and Shelly

246 posts on what is acceptable as "formal" dress on this thread alone.....isn't the freedom to have an opinion wonderful. :D

I wonder sometimes if this entire discussion is not relative on the posters age and where they call home? (Flame away :D)

I would (and yes, this is only my opinion) speculate that a lot of the "baby boomers" and posters of an older generation that call most of California home, or come from one of the larger U.S. cities such as Chicago or New York, or anywhere in the UK, Scotland, or Europe went to a "formal" event in school or a charity dinner event hired a tuxedo, a kilt, or a dinner jacket because it was a "formal" event and that is what you wear to a "formal" event.

Times have definitely changed, so have styles. But, look up the definition of a "formal" event virtually anywhere and it refers to morning coats, tails, tuxedos, ties, kilts, dinner jackets, and yes, even tuxedos with dark shirts and no tie and sometimes dark suits, but I have not seen it to include a sport jacket and slacks.

If cruisers on Celebrity want a change, perhaps we need to suggest to Celebrity that they not call the dress "Formal" on these nights?

:confused: I cannot believe that some people can be so rude about what others wear. I was booked to go on the Norwegian Epic, but the reviews are not that great and I want a more quiet atmosphere. I was very fortunate to find the Celebrity Solstice which we will be on in Nov 2010.

Think about it, a lot of people love to cruise, they work hard to save their money to go on a cruise and then, "Oh Lord, I don't dress up in my day to day life and now I have to buy a bunch of clothes I will probably not wear again." With the economy the way it is it might be hard for some of us to dress to the "hilt" as others. I do agree that it would be highly inappropriate to wear jeans and a tee shirt to the formal nights or to any other night, but what is wrong with a jacket and tie? As for myself, I will wear a cocktail dress (black and very nice) and my husband will wear a black suit with a tie. We will only do one formal night and eat somewhere else on the 2nd formal night. I do not have the money to go out and buy a gown to not wear again. I know you probably think we should got on another cruise line then, but I say "no". We are respectable people who like tranquility and just being able to relax and enjoy ourselves in a quieter ship. Just because I may not be dressed like you, don't look down on me or my husband. Oh, on the other nights I was told by three cruise consultants that the dress code was casual. Yes, I called three different times to make sure, since it seems to be a big problem with a lot of the snootier passengers. So on those nights I will be wearing capris, slacks, and maybe a dress.

Aren't cruises supposed to be non stressful? :)

What you & DH are planning on wearing is exactly within the dress code, You could wear the same thing for 2nd formal if you don't want to skip it. As for the casual nights you are also describing exactly what is expected. Have fun, stepping on board seems to make the dress code madness go away, maybe they slip a little something in that welcoming glass of champagne. :D

I disagree, and I think Celebrity's interpretation is different from yours as well. I say this because their definition of formal wear(including the "dinner jacket") was the same back when there was an informal night. Informal consisted of a sports jacket and formal said dinner jacket. Based upon this I believe that Celebrity makes a distinction between the formal dinner jacket(look it up!) and a sports jacket or blazer. If they wanted a sports jacket they would have said sports jacket. They have in the past.

But the fact is they do allow sports jackets, so it doesn't matter how it is interpreted.

As often as you have answered my question.

You might consider booking AQ on your next Celebrity cruise. You will enjoy it. By the way, your rhetorical question did not require an answer. Notwithstanding the aforesaid, since we always dine in Blu we are never disturbed by those who feel free to avoid the dress code. Additionally, even if there were those types present they would not impact our cruise since we do not concern ourselves with matters of minor significance. To put it in a colloquial fashion-we do not sweat the small stuff, but we do choose to associate with individuals who possess proper manners.

:confused: I cannot believe that some people can be so rude about what others wear. I was booked to go on the Norwegian Epic, but the reviews are not that great and I want a more quiet atmosphere. I was very fortunate to find the Celebrity Solstice which we will be on in Nov 2010.

Think about it, a lot of people love to cruise, they work hard to save their money to go on a cruise and then, "Oh Lord, I don't dress up in my day to day life and now I have to buy a bunch of clothes I will probably not wear again." With the economy the way it is it might be hard for some of us to dress to the "hilt" as others. I do agree that it would be highly inappropriate to wear jeans and a tee shirt to the formal nights or to any other night, but what is wrong with a jacket and tie? As for myself, I will wear a cocktail dress (black and very nice) and my husband will wear a black suit with a tie. We will only do one formal night and eat somewhere else on the 2nd formal night. I do not have the money to go out and buy a gown to not wear again. I know you probably think we should got on another cruise line then, but I say "no". We are respectable people who like tranquility and just being able to relax and enjoy ourselves in a quieter ship. Just because I may not be dressed like you, don't look down on me or my husband. Oh, on the other nights I was told by three cruise consultants that the dress code was casual. Yes, I called three different times to make sure, since it seems to be a big problem with a lot of the snootier passengers. So on those nights I will be wearing capris, slacks, and maybe a dress.

Aren't cruises supposed to be non stressful? :)

Your cruise will be non stressful, however these boards can be very stressful!

It really all comes down to perception and mindset, doesn't it?

We first started sailing with Royal Caribbean. My perception, as I researched the different cruise lines to find the one we wanted to sail on, was that RC was not quite as casual and Las Vegas in style, as Carnival or NCL and not as sophisticated or expensive as Oceania, Cunard or Regent. (We didn't know what cruising was like, so we didn't want to jump in too deep). My mindset was that we wanted to have a good time, enjoy good service and food, and try something other than a land vacation. Plus our first cruise was for our 25th anniversary, so we wanted a different experience.

Ultimately, our perception changed as we found that we didn't want quite as casual an experience as we were getting during subsequent cruises on RC. The other mass market lines just didn't appeal to us for various reasons. So after years of not cruising and traveling instead by air and land, we chose Celebrity several years ago. Again, we had the perception that we were choosing a more upscale line, (we now knew what cruising was about) with better food, and a higher standard of service. Our mindset was that the clientele would a more experienced traveler who could discuss a variety of topics, and that the ships would offer an elegant atmosphere. We really liked the idea of having a less casual ambiance, and therefore liked the idea of dressing for dinner each night. We wanted something special.

That was our perception and our mind set before booking our cruises. We researched and found the cruise line that offered just about everything we wanted. When we were on RC, we didn't expect that they would change the way they did things, just because we wanted things the way we wanted them. We conformed, and then went searching elsewhere to find everything we were looking for.

Despite all the comments and feelings these dress threads generate, I really don't think that the reasonings and in some cases excuses, for not following what Celebrity asks, is anything other than perception and the individual's mindset of how they want things to be.

Anyway you look at things, a sports coat is just that - a casual jacket; some definitely more casual than others, based on style and choice of cloth. If one can pack a sports coat and a pair of pants, why not a suit, if a tux isn't a possibility or a choice? Rarely do we see ladies in ball gowns any more. But there are a variety of lightweight fabrics in either a long or short dress length that pack smaller than jeans or another type of casual slacks. I'm a plus sized woman, and I prefer pantsuits to dresses. I have several very dressy outfits (mostly 3 piece outfits embroidered with pearls or other "sparkles") that are easy and lightweight to pack and work well for formal nights.

There's no reason why comfortable and lightweight clothes can't be chosen and packed in accordance with luggage weight restrictions, without breaking a strict budget. Again, I feel many of these issues are about perception and mindset. If a person wants to comply with what is asked, they will. All the excuses in the world won't change that. Way back , several pages ago, someone asked about staying in formal clothes even after dinner....yes, we do.:)

Mary

You know, it is a SUGGESTED dress code. I think Celebrity would have an even more difficult time filling their ships if it was mandatory to wear a tux or suit or dinner jacket or not be admitted to the MDR at all on formal nights. I don't agree that once you admit someone in a sport coat and tie would lead someone to show up in cut offs, tank tops, and flip flops for the next formal evening or smart casual. People aren't stupid or trying to disrespect all of the other diners as you imply. I guess you and others are just afraid to see any change at all to the formal nights. But be realistic, you may (or may not) in the future, if Celebrity gets enough feedback on the subject.

What I object to most is people that come onto the Celebrity boards and deliberately distribute MISINFORMATION, based on their own personal desires. Many other cruisers who are new to Celebrity come to these forums genuinely seeking accurate information and it is a complete disservice to them to skew the guidelines or provide incorrect information. It is especially sad that so many of these people who provide this misinformation have never sailed Celebrity, and are not speaking from a position of personal experience, but instead are talking about the way they want things to be.

Celebrity is now quite clear about what they are requesting as far as dress codes are concerned. The language that they use is "Proper Dining Attire" and "Dress Code". A Dress CODE is not a "suggestion". From Princeton (which I hope will be recognized as adequately authoritative), we can read the following (my bolding for emphasis):

Definition of "DRESS CODE" (from Princeton.edu):

a set of rules specifying the correct manner of dress while on the premises (or specifying what manner of dress is prohibited)

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

In polite society, if you receive an invitation that says "Black tie requested", that is NOT an invitation to wear whatever you want, just because the invitation does not say "you MUST wear black tie". It is expected that you will know enough to wear clothing that is appropriate to the request.

I went through all of the references to "DRESS CODE" on the Celebrity website, and nowhere did I see that it was a SUGGESTED dress code. The language used on the website is quite clear (my emphasis in red font):

Proper Dining Attire

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

Evening Dress Codes

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Formal evenings call for formal attire

Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include activities such as the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner and the Captain's Farewell Dinner. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The schedule above outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy on your cruise.

But the fact is they do allow sports jackets, so it doesn't matter how it is interpreted.

Maitre d's are probably not going to throw you out if you are wearing a sports jacket on formal nights. They "allow" it (as in "put up with it") because it would generally be unseemly to cause a scene and it would be disruptive to the ambience.

PLEASE, don't tell people that come here to ask honest questions about appropriate dress, that a SPORTS COAT is included in the definition of appropriate formal wear on Celebrity. It is not. And a SPORTS COAT is not a DINNER JACKET. A sports coat may be allowed, but it is not what has been requested by Celebrity, and it is not what Celebrity is including in its definition of appropriate dress for formal nights.

It really all comes down to perception and mindset, doesn't it?

We first started sailing with Royal Caribbean. My perception, as I researched the different cruise lines to find the one we wanted to sail on, was that RC was not quite as casual and Las Vegas in style, as Carnival or NCL and not as sophisticated or expensive as Oceania, Cunard or Regent. (We didn't know what cruising was like, so we didn't want to jump in too deep). My mindset was that we wanted to have a good time, enjoy good service and food, and try something other than a land vacation. Plus our first cruise was for our 25th anniversary, so we wanted a different experience.

Ultimately, our perception changed as we found that we didn't want quite as casual an experience as we were getting during subsequent cruises on RC. The other mass market lines just didn't appeal to us for various reasons. So after years of not cruising and traveling instead by air and land, we chose Celebrity several years ago. Again, we had the perception that we were choosing a more upscale line, (we now knew what cruising was about) with better food, and a higher standard of service. Our mindset was that the clientele would a more experienced traveler who could discuss a variety of topics, and that the ships would offer an elegant atmosphere. We really liked the idea of having a less casual ambiance, and therefore liked the idea of dressing for dinner each night. We wanted something special.

That was our perception and our mind set before booking our cruises. We researched and found the cruise line that offered just about everything we wanted. When we were on RC, we didn't expect that they would change the way they did things, just because we wanted things the way we wanted them. We conformed, and then went searching elsewhere to find everything we were looking for.

Despite all the comments and feelings these dress threads generate, I really don't think that the reasonings and in some cases excuses, for not following what Celebrity asks, is anything other than perception and the individual's mindset of how they want things to be.

Anyway you look at things, a sports coat is just that - a casual jacket; some definitely more casual than others, based on style and choice of cloth. If one can pack a sports coat and a pair of pants, why not a suit, if a tux isn't a possibility or a choice? Rarely do we see ladies in ball gowns any more. But there are a variety of lightweight fabrics in either a long or short dress length that pack smaller than jeans or another type of casual slacks. I'm a plus sized woman, and I prefer pantsuits to dresses. I have several very dressy outfits (mostly 3 piece outfits embroidered with pearls or other "sparkles") that are easy and lightweight to pack and work well for formal nights.

There's no reason why comfortable and lightweight clothes can't be chosen and packed in accordance with luggage weight restrictions, without breaking a strict budget. Again, I feel many of these issues are about perception and mindset. If a person wants to comply with what is asked, they will. All the excuses in the world won't change that. Way back , several pages ago, someone asked about staying in formal clothes even after dinner....yes, we do.:)

Mary

Hi Mary:

I was writing my reply above, while you were posting yours. I think you have done a terrific job of explaining why many people choose Celebrity.

Maitre d's are probably not going to throw you out if you are wearing a sports jacket on formal nights. They "allow" it (as in "put up with it") because it would generally be unseemly to cause a scene and it would be disruptive to the ambience.

PLEASE, don't tell people that come here to ask honest questions about appropriate dress, that a SPORTS COAT is included in the definition of appropriate formal wear on Celebrity. It is not. And a SPORTS COAT is not a DINNER JACKET. A sports coat may be allowed, but it is not what has been requested by Celebrity, and it is not what Celebrity is including in its definition of appropriate dress for formal nights.

I believe that most people come to these boards knowing the dress code, and they are asking what really happens on board from experienced cruisers. In reality, a sport coat will be accepted, even though it is clearly not included in the definition. Clearly if somebody reads the entire thread, they know the both sides of the coin.

What I object to most is people that come onto the Celebrity boards and deliberately distribute MISINFORMATION, based on their own personal desires. Many other cruisers who are new to Celebrity come to these forums genuinely seeking accurate information and it is a complete disservice to them to skew the guidelines or provide incorrect information. It is especially sad that so many of these people who provide this misinformation have never sailed Celebrity, and are not speaking from a position of personal experience, but instead are talking about the way they want things to be.

Celebrity is now quite clear about what they are requesting as far as dress codes are concerned. The language that they use is "Proper Dining Attire" and "Dress Code". A Dress CODE is not a "suggestion". From Princeton (which I hope will be recognized as adequately authoritative), we can read the following (my bolding for emphasis):

Definition of "DRESS CODE" (from Princeton.edu):

a set of rules specifying the correct manner of dress while on the premises (or specifying what manner of dress is prohibited)

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

In polite society, if you receive an invitation that says "Black tie requested", that is NOT an invitation to wear whatever you want, just because the invitation does not say "you MUST wear black tie". It is expected that you will know enough to wear clothing that is appropriate to the request.

I went through all of the references to "DRESS CODE" on the Celebrity website, and nowhere did I see that it was a SUGGESTED dress code. The language used on the website is quite clear (my emphasis in red font):

Proper Dining Attire

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

Evening Dress Codes

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

Formal evenings call for formal attire

Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include activities such as the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner and the Captain's Farewell Dinner. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The schedule above outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy on your cruise.

PLEASE, don't tell people that come here to ask honest questions about appropriate dress, that a SPORTS COAT is included in the definition of appropriate formal wear on Celebrity. It is not. And a SPORTS COAT is not a DINNER JACKET. It may be allowed, but it is not what has been requested by Celebrity, and it is not what Celebrity is including in its definition of appropriate dress for formal nights.

Having spent 8 weeks on Celebrity cruises, we have never had any problems with, or been excluded from, the MDR over my wearing a sport coat and tie on formal night. I do not own a suit or a tux. I have had no occasion to wear one. On our last cruise, this past May, I personally went to Guest Relations on the Eclipse and asked if a sport coat and tie were acceptable wear for formal night. I received an emphatic yes and was encouraged to attend. We opted for the miniscule buffet for formal night #2, so as not to "offend" anyone and as I have said several times before, pizza, pasta,sushi, and salad just did not cut it. I would have happily returned to the buffet for formal night #3 if they enhanced the menu a little bit more or had a casual dining area like the M class ships provide. After spending more than $6000 on the cruise fare alone for the three of us, I did not want to pay any extra for a decent meal. My wife wore a sparkly pants suit and my daughter wore a prom gown. My daughter said she felt very out of place. There were not that many tuxes on that Baltic cruise, mainly suits and sport coats, and shirts and ties. You would have people believe that they would or should be barred from the dining room for wearing anything less that perfect. That being said, the whole idea of this thread was to see if there was any interest in maybe a compromise in having a formal dining experience and on another level, a not so formal one. Whether Celebrity is interested in the idea or not, they are not enforcing the dress code to the letter that some people believe it should be. I am not knocking the people who want the whole formal experience. Just suggesting that there are just as many people who would like to have a smart casual one.

There seems to be an assumption by some posters on this thread that everyone can easily choose a different cruise line that would somehow perfectly fit their expectations and desires. But that is often far from true. We cruise with our kids and have to work around their school calendar. Our choices are often very limited for the time frame we need. For example, in 2009, we wanted to go on a summer cruise to the British Isles. The Crown Princess was the only option for a mass market cruise line doing that intinerary in the summer. For 2011, we want a cruise in June that disembarks from Rome and stops in Istanbul. We could only find one cruise that fit our requirements: the Celebrity Equinox 11 day RT from Rome.

Mind you, we loved our British Isles cruise and are very excited about our Equinox cruise. We love both Princess and Celebrity, but there are things on each of them that I wouldn't mind seeing change. BTW, we feel we're pretty good about following the dress code. Our only infraction I can think of was DH ditching his tux on the 3rd formal night of a very port intensive 12 day cruise in favor of a sport coat and tie. He fit in fine.

Our next cruise will be on Cunard. Now that's a cruise we picked just to experience Cunard -- the itinerary was irrelevant. I'm sure DH will rent a tux and I'll dust off my full length black satin skirt and sparkly top.:)

Having spent 8 weeks on Celebrity cruises, we have never had any problems with, or been excluded from, the MDR over my wearing a sport coat and tie on formal night. I do not own a suit or a tux. I have had no occasion to wear one. On our last cruise, this past May, I personally went to Guest Relations on the Eclipse and asked if a sport coat and tie were acceptable wear for formal night. I received an emphatic yes and was encouraged to attend. We opted for the miniscule buffet for formal night #2, so as not to "offend" anyone and as I have said several times before, pizza, pasta,sushi, and salad just did not cut it. I would have happily returned to the buffet for formal night #3 if they enhanced the menu a little bit more or had a casual dining area like the M class ships provide. After spending more than $6000 on the cruise fare alone for the three of us, I did not want to pay any extra for a decent meal. My wife wore a sparkly pants suit and my daughter wore a prom gown. My daughter said she felt very out of place. There were not that many tuxes on that Baltic cruise, mainly suits and sport coats, and shirts and ties. You would have people believe that they would or should be barred from the dining room for wearing anything less that perfect. That being said, the whole idea of this thread was to see if there was any interest in maybe a compromise in having a formal dining experience and on another level, a not so formal one. Whether Celebrity is interested in the idea or not, they are not enforcing the dress code to the letter that some people believe it should be. I am not knocking the people who want the whole formal experience. Just suggesting that there are just as many people who would like to have a smart casual one.

Thank you for your input and the fact that you understood the genesis of this thread. I'm sure you were dressed just fine. You probably noticed that some people are very passionate on this subject. I have been on cruises were I wore a sports coat and tie on formal nights and felt very much in the right style. I bought a tux for our Solstice cruise next month and am very interested in seeing how people actually dress.

If men are restricted to three types of dress(tux,dinner jacket, or dark suit) that pretty much rules out the risk of any tattoos, and parts of their body except the head and hands showing. This protects the " formal " experience many are seeking, but what about the women? Women have much more latitude and freedom to expose or not to expose whatever body parts or tattoos they choose. A woman can choose to assault the room and call it her style or declare it fashion. It's time for all the real men of the world to stand up and be counted.

We were on a 5 night Caribbean cruise last March. Got an invitation to join the "Captain's Table" for a evening. Called the hostess, and explained that I had no tux or suit, just a sport coat. Were begged to attend anyhow. No-one else at the table had a tux, either. Was with the Hotel Manager and another staff member--had a nice time.

CLEMM, you are absolutely correct. One of the joys of dining in Blu is that you seldom witness an individual who is in violation of the dress code.

WOW and I thought the reason everyone was raving bout Blu was the food - how silly of me it's the dress code....:rolleyes:

The main point of my post was to ask that people not mislead new cruisers as to what is appropriate on Celebrity, especially if they don't have experience cruising with Celebrity.

Personally, I have no problem with the few people wearing sports coats that I have seen on formal nights, but I would be sad if the reason that they did so was because they had been told it was appropriate.

There is a real fear, from some people who have enjoyed the special ambiance of Celebrity's formal nights, that providing people with incorrect information will cause the balance to shift, and that when you have a critical mass of gentlemen in sports jackets in the dining room on formal nights, that will bring about even more casual dress, and that formal nights will more or less disappear.

While people who wish to dress casually in the dining room have many choices of cruise lines, people like Mary (Nonna and Papa, above) don't really have other choices among the main stream cruise lines, so it isn't too surprising that people who appreciate the ambiance that Celebrity currently offers try to protect that product.

You state, directed at me, that I "would have people believe that they would or should be barred from the dining room for wearing anything less that perfect." There is nothing in my post that implies that. There is quite a range in what Celebrity defines as "appropriate formal attire", and I was just asking that new cruisers not be mislead about what is considered appropriate by the cruise line that sets the dress code.

Once passengers are on the ship, Celebrity does everything possible to make them feel comfortable, and I have never, ever seen or heard anyone make a "dress code comment" or pass disapproving glances based on what someone was wearing. I find fellow Celebrity cruisers to be lovely people.

Believe me, although I post here in hopes that correct information continues to be available to new cruisers, if you were at my table in your sports coat, on formal nights, I would be as happy to see you as I would be to see a fellow diner in a tux or a suit.

I normally take 2 or 3 cruises a year. All cruise lines have made changes to try to accomodate the new crowd, as they say. One of the enjoyable parts of cruising has always been the first class service, relaxation, etc.. The formal nights had always been a highlight, in the past. There is nothing more beautiful that a woman dressed to the nines. And I am sure the women love the men to dress-up also. If the cruise line(s) would just stick to the rules and say we have one or two formal nights. If you do not wish to attend the dinning room, that is your right, but don't try to change or ruin it for those who have always enjoyed it. You do have Lido and other options. I am not trying to not consider others, but "Hay" it is a cruise and try to enjoy some new adventures; should you not be a formal person. The last 2 years on all cruise lines we have traveled have tried to change to accomodate some. It the process the service is changing and the food is not as good as in the past. Anytime the cruie lines relax to much no one feels the urge to excel. Just a thought. Enjoy your next cruise, I know I will in December and March already booked. :)

The dress code for formal nights is quite simplistic; and, for those of us who are experienced cruisers on Celebrity we have noticed that most passengers follow said code. There are a few (some on these boards) who seldom cruise on Celebrity; and, they overly indulge in euphemisms to justify their non adherence to said code. Essentially, they are of the " I will do as I please" genre.

Archived