What to do besides beach?

wkelly5688

Hi all. We are considering an Eastern Caribbean cruise that stops in St. Martin. We are in our mid 50's and aren't real beach or water sports people. Just wondering what awesome stuff there is to do besides shopping?

Thanks

Bill :confused:

I could easily spend an hour or two (actually I have done that) up at Fort Louis / Fort Marigot above Marigot harbour. I just love that place and the views that it presents. There has always been a cooling breeze there.

th_DSCN4273.jpg

(click)

Grab some sandwiches or just a loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese, a bottle or two of wine, and you're set.

How does that sound?

gary

I could easily spend an hour or two (actually I have done that) up at Fort Louis / Fort Marigot above Marigot harbour. I just love that place and the views that it presents. There has always been a cooling breeze there.

th_DSCN4273.jpg

(click)

Grab some sandwiches or just a loaf of bread and a hunk of cheese, a bottle or two of wine, and you're set.

How does that sound?

gary

That actually sounds perfect! Would there be enough time to explore the fort and then head over to Orient Beach? Our ship is in port 7 am - 5 pm.

Thanks

th_DSCN4273.jpg

(click)

How does that sound?

gary

We finally made it up to the fort and we really enjoyed it. My DH took some great shots of the fort which was being lit from the sun. I really enjoyed the view and the helpful map which explained what area you were looking at in the distance.

Gary, while taking pictures from our room at the GCBC my husband noticed what looked like a fort in the distance, do you know what it is called and if you can visit that one?

<snip>

Gary, while taking pictures from our room at the GCBC my husband noticed what looked like a fort in the distance, do you know what it is called and if you can visit that one?

Wow.

I'm traveling, so don't have access to my photo archive at home to look, but I can't think of another fort in view of GCBC.

Hopefully you have a photo to share, or at least the general direction he was looking?

gary

Wow.

I'm traveling, so don't have access to my photo archive at home to look, but I can't think of another fort in view of GCBC.

Hopefully you have a photo to share, or at least the general direction he was looking?

gary

We were staying in one of the buildings at GCBC that is on Grand Case Beach. He was looking to the left, over the south area of GC beach in the mountainous area and he called me out on the balcony and asked me what I saw through the viewfinder. It looked like a fort up on a hill. As you can see actual directions are not my strong point and computers run a close second so once we get settled I will see if he can post a picture and maybe provide better directions. It was quite far away and it was a cloudy day, but when I saw it in the view finder it sure looked like a fort to me as well.

edit: Is it possible that it was actually Fort Louis that we saw? I asked my husband and he said that we were too far away and that it was not in the same area. We had just visited the fort the day before and what we saw through the view finder looked more intact to me. What are your thoughts on this.

Archived